Doesn't look like anyone's seen this yet...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
thealien666

Re: Doesn't look like anyone's seen this yet...

Post by thealien666 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:51 pm

The infinite sustain Moog Ukulele. Only $2999.95.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:08 pm

http://www.unrealitytv.co.uk/britains-g ... ookeylele/

Ever seen this guy? He invented this new thing which he could sell for $15k if every aspect of it was Vo powered. 8)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:22 pm

A platinum encrusted washboard cv controller.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:16 am

Seriously, guys?

I fell like an alien (not 666 though héhé) when I feel very curious about the LEV thing.
I don't know if "it's about to change everything"... for me. However I'm very much looking forward to hear the possibilities it adds to a good o'd wooden folk guitar.

Without experimenting real advanced hybridcontrollers/instruments, I've been often tip toeing in the realm of mixing guitar and keyboards/synths/electronic instruments in terms of playing technic as well as style/sound. That thing sure is tickling my interest.

Or maybe I'm interpreting your talking more sarcastic than you are?... Or maybe I'm just blinded by the hype?... Well I don't know :|

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:15 am

No It is actually pretty damn intriguing, and the way that they are talking about, it can be used for any surface, but this incarnation is just for acoustic guitar.

So At this point, Im thinking that it's similar to some kind of highly specialized contact mic. So, the next time you want to record the percussion sounds of your washing machine, and isolate harmonics you have never heard before, this (or a later incarnation of it) may do the trick.

I was merely being facetious.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:39 pm

I was being facetious also...and sarcastic, too. :mrgreen:

I don't know, but I feel Moog Music is trying to "re-invent the wheel" in a way... They should maybe try to actually invent a new instrument (much like Bob did back in the sixties) instead of trying to mess with centuries old classics ? It feels to me like some other companies do, when they will take some existing product and add a clock to it, or something... :lol: (this was a "borrowed" statement from Homer Simpson in reply to his half-brother when he was trying to demonstrate his totally new invention to the Simpson family).
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:55 pm

I'm going to the factory tomorrow, I'm going to snoop around and see what I can find out
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:33 am

Don't forget to check out Chimney Rock while you are there.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:43 pm

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:12 pm

To be perfectly honest, that was 22 seconds of what sounded like a guitar synth from the eighties...

Anyway, what's the purpose of completely masking the warm, beautiful sound of a classic guitar with synthetic sounding overtones ?

Better buy a Sitar, and you'll get better sounding real harmonics...

Stop trying to re-invent the wheel, Moog Music, and concentrate on creating a polyphonic Voyager that everyone has been asking for since 2002 !

Sorry to be so negative but I'm tired of this toying with classic instruments. So far, I've never seen anyone use the Moog overpriced electric guitar in any popular groups. They even had to lower the price in order to try to get rid of overstock of these things. That should have told them something ?

What will it be next? A Moog modified toaster ?

Geezzz!
Last edited by thealien666 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:08 am

thealien666 wrote:To be perfectly honest, that was 22 seconds of what sounded like a guitar synth from the eighties...

Anyway, what's the purpose of completely masking the warm, beautiful sound of a classic guitar with synthetic sounding overtones ?

Better buy a Sitar, and you'll get better sounding real harmonics...

Stop trying to re-invent the wheel, Moog Music, and concentrate on creating a polyphonic Voyager that everyone has been asking for since 2002 !

Sorry to be so negative but I'm tired of this toying with classis instruments. So far, I've never seen anyone use the Moog overpriced electric guitar in any popular groups. They even had to lower the price in order to try to get rid of overstock of these things. That should have told them something ?

What will it be next? A Moog modified toaster ?

Geezzz!
THANK YOU! I feel there aren't many folks around here who see through this load of overhyped cow manure. Just because a new product says "Moog" on it doesn't mean it's going to redefine music for christ's sake. If anything causes Moog to fall behind the competition, it will be their unwillingness to let go of the ideal that they can come out with a product that revolutionizes music in the 21st century the way Bob did with the Mini in the 20th. No one ever changed the world by taking blind stabs in the dark at trying to change the world. It happens when a person has what is called "vision". If Moog sincerely wants to continue Bob's legacy, they will focus on designing quality analog synthesizers based on the original circuits that Bob gave us. That's what they excel at.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:02 pm

This is definitely real cool technology, but I don't think it will redefine the music industry or anything, but I really hope moog has a new SYNTHESIZER in the works that will whether its polyphonic or monophonic or whatever. I think its time they had a new flagship synth
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

museslave

Post by museslave » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:50 pm

Listen, I'm not an employee of Moog.
However, I am a person who has personally experienced this technology. I'm an experienced synthesist. I'm also a person whose job it is to promote Bob Moog's legacy.
If I say it's going to change everything, I'm not just trying to generate hype. :)
If you don't get why this thing is amazing, it's because you don't know everything about it, yet. Before you start to decry it, or decide that it's all hype, perhaps you should wait until you have all the info.
:)
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:55 am

Kenneth wrote:Just because a new product says "Moog" on it doesn't mean it's going to redefine music for christ's sake. If anything causes Moog to fall behind the competition, it will be their unwillingness to let go of the ideal that they can come out with a product that revolutionizes music in the 21st century the way Bob did with the Mini in the 20th. No one ever changed the world by taking blind stabs in the dark at trying to change the world. It happens when a person has what is called "vision". If Moog sincerely wants to continue Bob's legacy, they will focus on designing quality analog synthesizers based on the original circuits that Bob gave us. That's what they excel at.
I have to disagree Kenneth.

What legacy are we talking about? The will to invent something really innovative for musicians? Or making really good synthesizers?
Keeping on doing what you excel at is certainly not revolutionning anything. I think there is a confusion between what most of people want from Moog Music and what efforts Moog Music is making in order to do a step aside in the instruments designers queue.

I have a huge, huge respect for people trying to be innovative. The technology the LEV-96 seems to use does speak to me as a former advanced physics student (...they had no work for me ;) ) Another example is the Hartmann Neuron: well, it was not exactly a commercial success and most people missed the point as the Neuron was not about sounding astounding but it was about how astounding is the way it produces sound. Now, I'm ok to say that maybe the designers missed some point about it as most of the synth users have more interest in the sound than in the way it's produced. Anyway.

A new synth with cool features speaks to me, yes. The fantasy of a polyphonic Moog speaks to m... huh to many people, yes. But this is common process: give people what they want -sorry for the short wording.
Dave Smith is more of those, with all due respect. Every new DSI synth is using the same technology, voice architecure etc. It's a new package, a new market target etc. Which certainly is smart and fair: some cannot afford a prophet 08 and they are excited by the MophoX4, it's a trade off that allow them to access the DSI sound/instrument design.
BTW the Little Phatty -as yourself said in another topic- is an success in making Moog more accessible too.

I'm ok with that.
Still I cannot help separating that from stuffs like the Neuron, the future LEV-96, the EHX Superego,... sometimes the stuff is not BIG, sometimes it's smart or well thought. Often, it's enough for me to consider it, even if I don't have any use of it.

What do you think? :)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:58 am

Plus...

This LEV thing can be seen as a proto-polyphonic Moog, to me. Polyphony with a new technology.

My two cents.