Doesn't look like anyone's seen this yet...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Vince Ascoli

Re: Doesn't look like anyone's seen this yet...

Post by Vince Ascoli » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:29 pm

Re. the 2-note sax thing, that must be what I heard, then? I thought there was some technique involving 'biting down' & splitting the reed, at least that's how I heard it described by the saxophonist I watched do it...still didn't seem musically useful in a conventional setting? Thanks for the followup, Dr.Floyd!

Correcting my own mistake: John Allen developed the Notebender, Dr. Moog & Dr. Rhea came up with the Multiple-Touch Keyboard (a la Animoog, right?), interesting article by Joe Paradiso/MIT: http://web.media.mit.edu/~joep/Spectrum ... trumX.html
Voyager Select Maple Jade, Voyager Aluminum, Xpander, OB-8, Prophet~6, Virus Ti Pølar, DX5

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:08 pm

Vince, I would imagine that you saw multiphonics. Biting and splitting are popular descriptions, although players are not literally biting and splitting. The reed is vibrating at two or three different rates to generate the overtones, so it's described as splitting, and you have to adjust the pressure on the reed with your lower lip which is referred to as biting.

You can also throat sing and play wind instruments simultaneously which does give you two independent tones and some control, like Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson on flute, but it also changes the basic tone of the instrument which is what people really spend years developing.

Here is an interesting multi-touch controller being developed that should be great with Animoog:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kmi ... controller

Keith McMillen is a pretty smart guy!

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:46 pm

I have gotten split tones from my tenor before. It is not musical, it is not really controllable, but it IS an instance of a monophonic instrument playing more than one note at a time.

Long Live Sonny Rollins!

So how about a work-around for a poly then?

So the solution for voice cutoff would be that once a voice is generated, it could be sustained in a different circuit (like a digital delay or sustainer) and you could disengage the original voice and it would still sustain.

So you program your sound, play the maximum of notes the synth will generate, and while you lift your hand up, those notes will sustain while you engage another set of 8 voices. Like a digital damper pedal. A phrase sampler persay. Divide the keyboard into 4 parts, and you can have one sampler per part, so you could have a synth that generated 8 voices, but had the ability to simulate a fully polyphonic instrument.

Virtual voices to mitigate voice cutoff.
Last edited by EricK on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:58 pm

dr_floyd wrote:Since it seems no one has created "total polyphonic" analog instrument imitation using software like MAX/MSP, perhaps there isn't a real musical outcry for it.
Good point.
dr_floyd wrote:I am totally excited that Moog keeps trying things that no one else tries. I eagerly await the LEV thingy
So am I, amen! :)

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Well EricK, I guess you define "note" differently than I.
A split tone is the fundamental note you are fingering plus a crazed harmonic caused by tweaking the reed and fingering, but still one sound source. As mentioned, it is not even like playing a note on a monophonic synthesizer and tuning the second oscillator to an interval, because at least there you can control aspects of the second osc. musically. But you are playing one note and hearing two tones, not polyphonically playing two notes.

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:18 pm

For a digital damper pedal check out the Electro Harmonix Superego. Excruciatingly cool.

To me it's the perfect way to tie granular synthesis with other instruments live (like a saxophone or minimoog).

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:45 pm

dr_floyd wrote:Well EricK, I guess you define "note" differently than I.
I was being facetious, I never said it was polyphonic. Frequency, pitch, tone, whatever you want to call it, it's the exact same thing. It doesn't matter if theres one sound source, there are distinct pitches playing simultaneously.

Thanks for the "note".
Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

museslave

Post by museslave » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:01 pm

Kenneth wrote:what is your opinion on something like the 8-voice?
Apart from "only" having 8 voices, the 8-Voice comes the closest to giving the synthesist what the synthesist should want in regard to polyphonic synthesis. Of course, it's also one of the most expensive non-modular synths ever made. :)
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:17 am

dr_floyd wrote:For a digital damper pedal check out the Electro Harmonix Superego. Excruciatingly cool.

To me it's the perfect way to tie granular synthesis with other instruments live (like a saxophone or minimoog).
The Superego does even more. For a "simple" pseudo-damper, I ouwld rather recommand its elder brother, the Freeze.