MG-1 restoration and upgrades...?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Stuka

MG-1 restoration and upgrades...?

Post by Stuka » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:30 am

Greetings all -

I'm a first-time participant on the forum. I've been an on-again, off-again "hobbyist" keyboard tinkerer for many years (leaning towards the "on-again" indefinitely!).

Thanks in large part to this forum, YouTube videos, and the killer Moog apps for my iPad, I seem to be experiencing a renewed interest in Moog analog synths, and was hoping you folks could offer some good advice.

I am the original owner of a Concertmate MG-1 that I bought at a Radio Shack in Middle Tennessee in the 80's. (Can't remember exactly when - it's been a while!) The synth has spent most of its life wrapped in a protective pillow case and stuck in a closet (shameful, I know!! :oops: ) Anyway, it's still functional, in good shape for it's age, but pretty sure it needs to undergo the "killer black foam sludge" removal, along with replacement of the slightly-corroded RCA audio jacks.

I'm no stranger to high-maintenance hobbies involving screwdrivers and soldering irons, so I was hoping you guys could offer some advice:

1. Any detailed directions available concerning the disassembly and process for removing the black foam gunk, and also recommendations for replacing the RCA audio jacks?

2. Since I have a pretty decent MIDI studio, I would like to tinker with the CV control of the MG-1 using a MIDI-to-CV converter. I was looking at the PAIA 9700K MIDI2CV8 Electronics Kit as a candidate. Would that be suitable?

3. Any recommendations for a Moogerfooger that might be particularly effective for use with the MG-1?

Thanks in advance for the help -
looking forward to spending some quality time here!

Randy
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...