What a difference a set of key bushes make!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
americankiwi

Re: What a difference a set of key bushes make!

Post by americankiwi » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:15 am

That sounds like good advise about the carpets.. :lol: like I said also when picking them up...it doesn't take much at all to screw up a contact spring...I know :oops:

museslave

Post by museslave » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:31 pm

Oh, MANNN. Mr. LIghtner AND MC responded with instructions. That's enough for me to feel pretty comfortable with replacement. Also, americankiwi, thanks for you your description.
This Minimoog has been signed by Herb Deutsch, Dick Hyman, David Borden, and Larry Fast... and will soon be signed by David Van Koevering and Thomas Dolby. I want to avoid it being clacky. :)
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

ic1

Post by ic1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:24 am

I've heard people describe the two ends of the bushings differently and may cause some confusion.
Kevin you er words say to install the "Y" on the bottom, or in other words the taller/more pliable/ end and the "V" harder/more rigid/shorter on the top ? I like one poster's description best - Wide and Narrow - easier to discern than the other way, but he leaves out which end goes on top. I've seen so much confusion in regards to this...youtube videos again show them upside down..but who's right ? Why all the confusion ? I have found some machines have them one way and another the other way. Again it makes sense that the softer/narrower/springier/"Y" end go on top to give the nice bounce feel to each keypress. The other way it's a much harder/rougher/ feel. I also believe the wider/more rigid end aligns the key if the gap is adjusted correctly, some thing the narrower end can't do.

Can you chime in here KL, and clear up the confusion ?

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:25 pm

I have a Polysix that is in dire need of a new set of key bushings. They keyboard feels and sounds like a nursing home resident.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

armillary

Post by armillary » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:52 pm

Following americankiwi's advice, I replaced the bushings on my son's Micromoog with ones from Vintagevibe.

The difference is very impressive. That Pratt-Read keybed is one fine piece of Yankee engineering simplicity.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:09 pm

BTW Kenneth, the Korg Polysix doesn't have individual bushings. It's a keyboard made by Panasonic for Korg, and it has two felt strips easily replaceable (though you still have to remove all keys to access them).
But, even with new felt strips, you won't get the quasi-orgasmic feel of a Pratt Read keybard... :lol:

http://www.syntaur.com/4795.html
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

740steve

Post by 740steve » Fri May 17, 2013 4:15 pm

Would this help with keys that sometimes don't sound?
I've cleaned the contacts and it still periodically misses a key.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:03 pm

740steve wrote:Would this help with keys that sometimes don't sound?
I've cleaned the contacts and it still periodically misses a key.
No, unless the keys don't all line up, then there may be some contact issues related to the bushings needing replacement. You might need all new contacts.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

fredwreck

Post by fredwreck » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:37 pm

Kevin Lightner wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:49 am Rebushing is definitely a huge improvement.
My wife is very good at it too.
She's done several polymoog actions (71 notes ea) and many Minis.

I don't normally close the gap on the keys to retain the springs, but to each their own.
(it's different when you own vs restore someone else's synth.)

Over the years... and with many springs a-flyin... I've gotten to the point I don't lose them.
Also have a (homemade) digital tension gauge to pick replacements for pulled or bent ones and an original Pratt-Read key adjustment tool.

As for lube, I use dry bushings and only lube the key stops to get them on.
The Dow-Corning stuff can make bushings swell up over time.
Often a quick shot of spray silicone is used, but that's it.
Stock Pratt-Read keyboards didn't have any lube on their bushings anyway, but they did on the bell crank domes and rear pivot.

Also one more tip: don't put a Minimoog action down on carpeting.
The ends of the spring contacts can sometimes get snagged and upon lifting the action, those contacts are often destroyed.
Again... um.. from experience. :(
If not Dow Corning 7, what other silicone lubricant do you suggest using? Something I can hopefully find at home depot.

Thanks!