A humble perspective . . .

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
analoghaze

Re: A humble perspective . . .

Post by analoghaze » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:47 am

Crimson fan too?
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

Khatru2U

Post by Khatru2U » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:36 am

Crimson? Yes, but it took me awhile to forgive Bruford for leaving Yes for Crimson. However I do believe that Alan White eventually became a worthy successor.
MVXL, MLPS2, AccessVTi2K, Korg MS2000, Novation K-Station, Alesis QS6.2, Arturia MiniBrute, Kurzweil 2500RS, MF-101,102,103,104M,105M,107,108M, Stuff

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:27 am

grapeflavor wrote:This is a very inspirational post. Even though i'm just a lowly college student, i had to get my hands on something Moog. It took me a while to save up enough, but i couldn't be happier with my Little Phatty.

Something i always find a little funny: I will occasionally get called out by friends for spending $1,100 on just a "keyboard" :roll:, but they usually shut up when i ask them why they spent over $1700 on just a guitar. :lol:
I've had the same issue with skeptics wondering why I'm spending so much on "just keyboards". Most people dont understand that not all keyboards function like digital sample playback machines. Boards like the Korg Triton, Yamaha Motif and Roland Juno D are thrust into the public eye by Best Buy. Because of this, people are naturally completely ignorant to the existence of analog synthesizers, and when they encounter one they don't understand why "you can't get just a regular piano sound" on it. I'm tired of having to explain my instruments to fools. I want to make mainstream a basic knowledge of analog synthesizers. The synthesizer is one of the least understood and under appreciated instruments in the history of music. I think they've been around long enough to warrant some respect.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:15 pm

Kenneth wrote:The synthesizer is one of the least understood and under appreciated instruments in the history of music. I think they've been around long enough to warrant some respect.
That may be, but as long as digital machines are cheaper and easier to use than analog synths, you're going to get a lot of, "Why not just sample it? Reason sounds just as good. Why you no get piano sound? Why you spend so much money? My $50 Yamaha has that sound on it," And so on, and so on. :evil:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:17 am

Voltor07 wrote:
Kenneth wrote:The synthesizer is one of the least understood and under appreciated instruments in the history of music. I think they've been around long enough to warrant some respect.
That may be, but as long as digital machines are cheaper and easier to use than analog synths, you're going to get a lot of, "Why not just sample it? Reason sounds just as good. Why you no get piano sound? Why you spend so much money? My $50 Yamaha has that sound on it," And so on, and so on. :evil:
You are too right, though I wish it weren't so. Maybe someday analog will make a comeback and once again reign supreme. Perhaps one day people will look back at the Korg Triton and say "why does it have a piano sound? It is not a piano."
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30