New analog polly by DSI

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
BHC303

New analog polly by DSI

Post by BHC303 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:45 am

Not really Moog related, but it shares some of the common traits of Moog... American & analog

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/pro ... /index.php

Looks good

stiiiiiiive

Re: New analog polly by DSI

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:02 am

I wanted a P 08 at a point, but it was a bit expensive.
This one could be the one...

To be tried.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:26 am

I don't know, the best poly in my opinion looks like the SO4V. It's really hard not to sell a kidney for a deposit on one.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:44 pm

$1299 ?

Still too expensive for what it is: a somewhat lack luster 4 voices only, 2 oscillators synth, low pass filters only, and limited resolution knobs.

Add a Tetra, at an additional cost of $849.99, and you get an 8 voices synth for a total price of...$2148.99

You can get a brand new P08PE for $50 less, and without the hassle of having to deal with an external box with its additional own stereo outputs to mix with the MophoX4.

But best of all, you easily can find used P08PE, in very good condition, for a lot less.

Dave Smith will have to do better than simply throw stuff together (four-Mophos-with-a-keyboard-in-a-box).

I've played extensively with a P08PE, and there is something about its sound. Dave has admitted that he took Curtis ElectroMusic's synth-on-a-chip design and tweaked it to arrive at the current version PA397 chip used in all his synths, from the Mopho to the P08 and the Tetra. But to me, personally, the result wasn't appealing enough to go buy a P08 for myself.

The original Prophet 5 has a more interesting character. The P08 sounds like a virtual emulation of a P5, even though it uses real analog chips. There's something missing IMHO.

Sorry Dave, not too impressed with your efforts so far.

Oh well, at least YOU are proposing polyphonic synths ! When will Moog Music also join in the bandwagon ? (without having to plug a lot of separate monophonic synths together at an astronomical cost?)
Last edited by thealien666 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:47 am

I dunno... To be completely honest, I have never been impressed with Dave Smith's modern efforts at creating analog synthesizers. He seems to be far too interested in incorporating digital user interfaces and firmware, and all that seems to really get in the way of a smooth workflow. Not to mention they don't sound nearly as good as modern Moog or Tom Oberheim gear. Looks like Dave still has a few of us to impress.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

synthguy1

Post by synthguy1 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:05 pm

I have a pair of Prophet 08PE's and I have to say if someone removed them from my rig, it would be a very sad day indeed.
I love my Prophets; the way they sound, the way they perform. I love the actual keyboard; it's feel, the aftertouch and velocity. Awesome for wailing synth leads. I will often use this keyboard to play my LAMM as the keyboard on that one is so 'flat' and cheesy feeling; not to mention, I can get aftertouch and velocity out of the LAMM but only if I use an appropriate keyboard - like the Prophet.
I have no use for a 4 voice synthesizer like other DSI synths. 1 voice or minimum 6 voice. Prophets become 2- 4 voice synths if you stack or split them; That's why I have 2. Well, one reason, anyway...
I'm not totally crazy about the wheel placement/location. Also, two glide knobs (1 for each osc) and no glide on/off kind of sucks from a performance point of view, but I can overlook these minor shortcomings when considering the synth as a whole with everything else it has to offer.
I dig analog and the Prophet 08 fits in nicely!
Cheers :D
synthguy1
Memorymoog+, Moog T1 Bass Pedals, Minimoog Model D, Nord Stage 2 HA-88, Korg Kronos 76-HA, Korg Triton Rack, Access Virus Rack, Ensonic TS-12 etc. etc...

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:16 pm

I've never seen any DSI stuff in person, but from what I hear of the sounds, they sound great. I like the added sequencers and things, and I don't think anyone would argue that the Tempest isn't the bomb.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

synthguy1

Post by synthguy1 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:25 pm

The sequencers and arpeggiators are very cool! On the Prophet, you get 2 sequencers and 2 arpeggiators when properly configured. Loads of fun...
Memorymoog+, Moog T1 Bass Pedals, Minimoog Model D, Nord Stage 2 HA-88, Korg Kronos 76-HA, Korg Triton Rack, Access Virus Rack, Ensonic TS-12 etc. etc...

bhrama

Post by bhrama » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:39 am

thealien666 wrote: The original Prophet 5 has a more interesting character. The P08 sounds like a virtual emulation of a P5, even though it uses real analog chips. There's something missing IMHO.
Agreed, I actually owned a P08, now I own the real thing...a P5. Nothing alike, nothing. Sure the P08 has more bells and whistles, but the P5 has soul.

DSI did hit a homerun with the Tempest, imo, that little box is an amazing bit of kit.
P6, Tempest, Sub37

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:31 pm

What I really want is a modern analog poly with a classic knob per function layout and preferrably no LCD screen. I know what a lot of you will say: that LCD screens are necessary for added LFO routing and advanced parameter editing, and all of that is great. However, I feel that a simpler design with no menus, and perhaps fewer bells and whistles, creates an overall smoother dynamic between the instrument and the musician. These are just my thoughts.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:09 am

I can feel that too.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:23 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:I can feel that too.
Whew, glad I'm not the only one. I realize this is all very idealistic of me, and a synth like this would cost much more than I'm worth. Heck, if Moog released a poly with a Phatty- like interface, I would buy it. Firmware and all. Just give us discreet VCOs.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:36 am

Just to clarify, I'm not really after such a poly. My (your) point was more about the interface of an instrument, which I think is as important as the sound and the possibilities.

When I have to set some... filter roll off, LFO sync mode etc in the Phatty, I go into the menus a bit grumpy. I prefer front knobs, just as many of the Mooguists here I guess. I bought a Nord Lead last year, just to have something more immediate -in terms of interface- than my beloved G2. Still the later is way more versatile soundwise and specwise. But I need to get closer to the sound...

bhrama

Post by bhrama » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:18 pm

While the minibrute is not a poly, I think one of the main reasons everyone was so excited was that it was "knob per function" in a small, compact and affordable set-up. I agree with Kenneth & Stiiiiive (sp), I'm the same way, I'd love a poly (as I love my P5 to death) that only had say 4-6 voices with pure knob per function interface going on. If the minibrute cost $475, wouldn't you pay 4x that for four voices and more power?
P6, Tempest, Sub37

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:38 pm

I'm in total agreement with the argument that knob-per-function, even though it might be more limited modulation wise, is more interesting.

That's why I've got a Minimoog D, a Korg Mono/Poly, and an Alesis Ion. I just wish my Korg DW8000 would have a knob per function, and not only one knob for all functions.

I just hate endless menus and hidden features, or should I say buried features...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion