Polymoog pedal with other moogs ?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
bollinote

Polymoog pedal with other moogs ?

Post by bollinote » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Hello
I good friend has offer me an very good condition polymoog pedal with Bob Moog signature on it !!! . Currently don´t have anymore an polymoog (I´d would like to have one again) but I do have an minimoog musonics, an DVCO rack and an multimoog. Even if I believe that NOT ¿Can I use this pedal with my moogs ?
Even if NOT I will still buy it (good price and collectors factor!!!= Bob Moog signature !!!).
Please let me know
Bollinote

Kevin Lightner

Re: Polymoog pedal with other moogs ?

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:08 pm

It'll also work with a Minimoog to some degree.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

bollinote

Post by bollinote » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:13 pm

Thank you kevin as always
Can you please let me know what can I do with my minimoog if possible?
Thank you in advance
Bollinote

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:43 pm

The Minimoog's rear panel CV in jacks should work as designed.
That is, take a pedal voltage and send it to a destination in an additive way.
So one should be able to control pitch, filter and volume using either 2 pedals.

The two jacks for the Glide and Decay can be controlled by the Sustain and Trigger Mode pedals or by the three buttons on top.
This can enable one to use the Sustain pedal as a true piano sustain and the Glide pedal for intermittent glide as desired.
Please note however that the pitch voltage for the oscillators runs through the Glide jack and any wiring hooked to it externally.
For this reason, it may also be a source of pitch instability or affected scaling precision. (may)

In practice, you may only want to use filter and volume under pedal control.
This is because it only adds a voltage and the Polypedal is now vintage, making it a possible source of pitch stability.

An Accessory (power) jack (6 pin Cinch-Jones) can power the Polypedal.
The power is only used for the LEDs and voltages sent through the pedals.
No power is necessary for the switch functions such as for Glide or Decay (sustain) jacks.

Before use, one usually has to modify either the Mini or the Polypedal accessory power jacks or plug slightly.
This is because the Polypedal expects +5 volts on pin 5, which the Mini doesn't supply.
Instead, the Mini supplies it's only positive voltage (+10v) on pin 1.
Ideally a 7805 regulator should be added to the Mini (along with a capacitor or two.)
Using 10 volts instead of the desired 5 volts will double the pedal range and increase the current draw of the LEDs.
So it's not advisable to use one for CV uses (or lit LEDs) unless one either adds a 5 volt regulator or changes the Polypedal LED resistors to a higher value.
Powering the pedals themselves with 10 volts instead of 5 is no problem other than the pedals will now have twice the possible range.
Higher voltages can also cause pot instabilities to be noticed more easily.

Much of success or failure using a Polypedal depends on the condition of the plugs, jacks, switches and pots.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

bollinote

Post by bollinote » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Thank you Kevin again for the great info you have provide me
Regards