Moog Preset Synthesizer in Thomas Monticello 372 Project?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
sread

Moog Preset Synthesizer in Thomas Monticello 372 Project?

Post by sread » Sun May 20, 2012 5:38 pm

I'm curious to see if anyone has ever done anything like this.

I have read that the Moog Preset Synthesizer in some of the Thomas Organs from the 70s is the same as the Moog Satellite. Has anyone every removed the synth from the organ?

I thought this might be a cool project - if it is possible.

filtered

Re: Moog Preset Synthesizer in Thomas Monticello 372 Project

Post by filtered » Mon May 21, 2012 6:58 pm

It'd be a cool project, but the post-project product I don't think would be worth the effort :wink:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:18 am

They aren't EXACTLY the same. This came up once before, and I think it was Kevin who said it would be more trouble that it was worth, as the Satellite has gone down as one of the WORST sounding synths in history, and also one would need to spend hours and lots of money to get a salvaged preset synth from the organ to work like a standalone Satellite. :?

If one of these organs became available in my area, I'd get one just to say I had a white elephant in my living room. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue May 22, 2012 1:22 am

I think saying it is the WORST is probably harsh.

It might be pretty darn limited, but it can still sound decent.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:43 am

EricK wrote:I think saying it is the WORST is probably harsh.

It might be pretty darn limited, but it can still sound decent.
I said ONE OF the WORST synths...definitely in the top three. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

dougt

Post by dougt » Tue May 22, 2012 6:16 am

I've had a couple Satellites. Best thing that I can say is some of the sliders are useful if you have a 2600. :mrgreen:

sread

Post by sread » Tue May 22, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks for the feedback - sounds like it's best to just keep it whole and use it as a conversation piece.

Just curious as to what are the other synths in the top "worst" of all time. Is another the Orbit II from Wurlitzer - I heard a rumor it was made

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:49 pm

sread wrote:Thanks for the feedback - sounds like it's best to just keep it whole and use it as a conversation piece.

Just curious as to what are the other synths in the top "worst" of all time. Is another the Orbit II from Wurlitzer - I heard a rumor it was made
The ARP Avatar should be on the list, along with the Korg Delta, the Moog Satellite, and if it was made, the Wurlitzer Orbit II, though I admit I haven't seen any proof that it exists.

MC

Post by MC » Tue May 22, 2012 11:56 pm

The ARP Avatar was a fine synth as long as you didn't control it from a guitar.

As an expander module to a keyboard system, it was exactly the same as an Odyssey.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed May 23, 2012 9:20 am

There is a 372 in phoenix craigslist right now.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

keyman2

Post by keyman2 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:52 pm

I got one as a pull from the original organ, it was a cinch to setup; +/- 18VDC, Note CV input and audio out. If you want to use an external keyboard, you have to wire a chain of resistors that connect to the onboard keyboard 'source' and 'sin'k connections then connect the common keyboard buss terminal to the Note CV in of the 'Satellite' - it's optional if you end up using an external Note CV from a MIDI to CV converter or external controller or existing modular synth.

There's another connector that provides power to the LED's, but I didn't hook that up as of yet, should be something like a +5V feed, but I don't have the schematics to verify. You may have to clean the many pushbutton selectors and sliders, but everything else seemed okay on the unit I have.

It's a nice little standalone project if you have the keyboard needed for it, or want to use it as an analog synth module.

Note that to get the best out of it, you have to be creative in how you play it and also effects can go a long way to give it more sonic depth. There are a couple of very good demo's with the equivalent standalone Moog Satellite. It won't give you the same feature set as a Realistic Moog MG-1, but it is an analog synth and could be easily augmented with some options - more a techie project, but don't think this is going to become anything approaching a Mini-Moog. ; )
Last edited by keyman2 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:52 am

Not bad-sounding at all, for a simple oscillator and filter. Nothing like a 3-osc synth, but the Satellite (and Minitmoog) were fine, especially for the intended use, aping the sound of string bass or flute along with your combo organ or Rhodes onstage. Simple synth, simple sounds. No worse than the ARP Soloist everyone loves, sonically. Just simple.

nicelp3

Post by nicelp3 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:54 pm

My Moog Preset Synth is from a Thomas Monticello 371, I believe. I'm trying to figure out what the cut connections went to. There are three bundles of cut wires: A. Thick RED, Thick BLUE, thin white and thin black wires. The Thick RED and Thick BLUE wires evidently connected to a transformer that was included with my Moog Preset Synth when I got it. The transformer has an AC plug coming out of one side and Thick RED & Thick BLUE wires coming out of the other side. B. Thin red, thin white, thin black and Thick BLACK wires. C. Thin orange, thin yellow and Thick BLACK wires. Does anyone know what these three bundles of cut wires connected to?

keyman2

Post by keyman2 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:37 pm

See if the email I sent jives with your own board and related documentation - then we can post for all if you get it working.

nicelp3 wrote:My Moog Preset Synth is from a Thomas Monticello 371, I believe. I'm trying to figure out what the cut connections went to. There are three bundles of cut wires: A. Thick RED, Thick BLUE, thin white and thin black wires. The Thick RED and Thick BLUE wires evidently connected to a transformer that was included with my Moog Preset Synth when I got it. The transformer has an AC plug coming out of one side and Thick RED & Thick BLUE wires coming out of the other side. B. Thin red, thin white, thin black and Thick BLACK wires. C. Thin orange, thin yellow and Thick BLACK wires. Does anyone know what these three bundles of cut wires connected to?

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:17 am

I actually managed to do this type of 'surgery' successfully on a Yamaha CSY-1 organ - and ended up with very nice and playable SY-1 synth.

Of course I had to make a case for it all but it was fun... :wink:

Cheers,
Tom