Question for Moog owners.

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Box

Re: Question for Moog owners.

Post by Box » Sat May 19, 2012 1:04 pm

filtered wrote:get the LP, if just for the overdrive! it's sweeeet! or that is, savory...haha!
then, after a couple years with the LP, get a Voyager to go with it!
I do like things that are sweet or savoury. :P

Box

Post by Box » Mon May 21, 2012 11:52 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-Voyager-Bo ... 522wt_1344

Found that, but don't have the money yet. :(

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue May 22, 2012 1:17 am

WOW! Someone got a great deal.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Box

Post by Box » Tue May 22, 2012 6:50 pm

I know, sold fairly quick after I found it too.

Box

Post by Box » Sun May 05, 2013 7:41 pm

Thread revival, because I can!

A year later, hard to believe... But I finally have some things straightened out. Was able to sell my Cadillac a few months ago, which I still miss at times but it's for the better. Long story short I had started looking at finally buying a Little Phatty, only to my surprise there's going to be a NEW Moog synth. Of course that synth is the Sub Phatty. Amount of keys aside, I like the Sub more than the Little from what I've seen in videos. Though if I decide on the Sub I may give it a few months for any bugs to be worked out, that and to wait for used ones to start popping up for a good bit less than list price. I've seen the Little Phatty sell as low as $700 here recently, so that's always still an option. Really it comes down to keys vs noise and the new multi-drive. Though the pretty much all hands on approach on the Sub is great too. If only the Sub had 37 keys, then it'd be definitive. :P

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun May 05, 2013 10:32 pm

I'd wait a year before buying the sub for bugs to be worked out.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Box

Post by Box » Sun May 05, 2013 10:38 pm

Ehh, I suppose it won't kill me. That or if they follow the Little Phatty and drop to almost half the retail price sooner I'll go ahead and get one. I need a ladder filter in my life. :P

Box

Post by Box » Fri May 17, 2013 2:17 pm

I really need to stop reading old articles on SoundOnSound and the internet in general. So after doing such I've added the Studio Electronics SE-1 and the Waldorf Pulse to the Sub and Little Phatty as possibilities. From what I've read the SE-1 would be the way to go as it has discrete oscillators, filters, and amplifiers. That and it's a clone of the original Mini. Legend even has it that Bob Moog himself helped in supervising the development of the SE-1. I'm not expecting it to sound identical, but just have the Moog sound. Seeing as that the filter is a copy of the original ladder filter it should do the job. Hell, if Moog themselves were to re-release the MiniMoog D it wouldn't sound exactly the same. The best part is that being a rack it'll fit into my current space requirements. That and all of the modulation offered... Which was another plus about the Pulse... Maybe I'm just over thinking things again...

hooshirn

Post by hooshirn » Tue May 21, 2013 1:27 am

I have a Moog Voyager XL and every Mooger except the phaser
I can say without question I will never get to the bottom of sonic possibility this set up provides and I don't think even modulars quit do the same Moog thing what ever that is.

Here is a suggestion buy a Freqbox and a MF101 filter both can be purchased reasonably used off ebay
what you have purchased is a very full featured Moog wave shaping Oscillator and and a very capable Moog ladder filter
And just start running stuff through this combo experamenting.

I suppose you can get a slim phatty for close to the same price though I personally find the
Freqbox / Filter combo fascinating for experimenting with plenty of patching knob twisting
Voyager XL, Minitaur,Theremen+, Fooger's, Midi delay and Midi murf, Freq box X 2, Ring mod, 101 Filter, Novation ultra station, ZR 76, MC808, Bent Casio's, 3 Speak and Spell's , M audio black box,Korg Monotribe, Ipad's with Animoog, Filtron on and on..

Box

Post by Box » Tue May 21, 2013 5:30 pm

Really wanting an actual synth. I had forgot about the filter box and all though... That's ok, trying to decide on what I need to do as far as my configuration goes. Too much stuff in one space. :P

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu May 23, 2013 5:32 am

There's a reason that the DSI instruments are a lot cheaper than Moog instruments.

You get what you pay for...

Stephen

Box

Post by Box » Thu May 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Vsyevolod wrote:There's a reason that the DSI instruments are a lot cheaper than Moog instruments.

You get what you pay for...

Stephen
I've heard good things about DSI build quality, and they're still made over here in the States. Though they do cut corners on some things like using external power supplies. I'm wanting a Moog or Moog clone though, such as the SE-1. Ever since I first got started with synthesizers some time ago I've always wanted a Moog. I don't know, always seemed like there was something magical about them.