Beastie MCA Dead

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

Beastie MCA Dead

Post by EricK » Fri May 04, 2012 3:45 pm

Adam Yauch MCA...

Man Ive been listening to them since 1986. I could rap the whole album in the first grade.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Re: Beastie MCA Dead

Post by Voltor07 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:27 pm

I saw that. I can't believe he was 47! :shock: Makes me feel old.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:31 pm

Another victim gone much too soon because of cancer...

God I hate this damn thing ! :evil:

R.I.P.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sat May 05, 2012 8:10 am

Look up nutritional therapy. I honestly believe we can get rid of cancer with vitamins.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat May 05, 2012 10:45 am

Ive heard stuff like this before, it's highly suspect.

Studies are showing that people who take vitamins on a regular basis are living shorter lives than people who don't.

But thats all Im going to say on this forum about that. Feel free to pm me if you wan't and we can talk about it.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Sat May 05, 2012 2:25 pm

A great loss,goodbye,MCA!!!!

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun May 06, 2012 12:23 am

Shame really. A loss. I was one of those kids with the Licensed to Ill poster (jet plan crashing into a mountain) on my wall at my mom's house back in the day.

Tonight I saw the Chili Peppers for the first time since 1989 (at Stony Brook University in New York). The band did a major shout out to MCA and the Bboys by playing plenty of their music over the PA before coming onstage, 3/4 through the show, Flea broke out into the bassline for 'Gratitude' and Anthony had a fair amount to say at a few points throughout the show. It was a nice gesture.

Music aside, if you read his obit, you'll see that he did alot for the oppressed and exhibited a positive social conscience. Rest in peace, Abednego.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:31 am

EricK wrote:Ive heard stuff like this before, it's highly suspect.

Studies are showing that people who take vitamins on a regular basis are living shorter lives than people who don't.

But thats all Im going to say on this forum about that. Feel free to pm me if you wan't and we can talk about it.
It's been shown that synthetic vitamins only have any benefit when you are extremely deficient in them, which is pretty much non existent in developed countries. A couple things: radiation in tobacco ferilizers are a huge cause of cancer (why cannabis and even organic tobacco has not been linked to cancer). Don't know if mca was a smoker though. Second, nutrition is a very effective way of fighting cancer and disease in general. Unless you have genetic predispositions, the human body is an incredibly self-righting machine if given the right tools in the form of the right foods, ie pesticide free fruits and vegetables. Multivitamins are a total waste.
Sorry, not trying to preach, just sharing what I have learned, and rip MCA.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun May 06, 2012 2:13 pm

Kenneth wrote:Look up nutritional therapy. I honestly believe we can get rid of cancer with vitamins.
Unfortunately, that's a misconception about vitamins.

The body takes only what it needs for functioning normally. It's true that a balanced diet will help prevent vitamin deficiencies that could potentially lower the body's immune system, and keep someone in good health. And taking vitamins supplements could possibly help keep a constant supply to body. But even in fast food there are some vitamins, believe it or not!
But once a cancer develops (rapid overgrowth of cells that become necrotic) there's not much the immune system can do to slow it down or stop it. Our only hope, to this day, is to destroy or remove the cancerous cells, and hope they didn't propagate elsewhere in the body.

And taking vitamins supplements is good for someone who's health isn't strong, due to age or a recent illness, in order to get what they lack back into the body. But for someone in relatively good health, taking vitamins is pretty much wasted time and money, unless you want a placebo effect for psychological reasons, since the body will eliminate the ones it doesn't need, which would be most of them.

And forget about curing cancer with them, while vitamins might slightly help in the short term they will definitely not, and most unfortunately not, get rid of cancer.

If they did, people would not still be dying by the millions each year to this terrible, deadly illness...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sun May 06, 2012 2:18 pm

Cancer is often genetic also.
It can be prevalent amongst many Jewish lineages, for example.
My father was Jewish.
He died from one type of cancer, his daughter another and a son still another.

Eradicating cancer is an honorable goal, but there's thousands of other reasons people will die.
Cure cancer and people will still die of something else.

But the plain fact is, we're organisms.
Like any organism, we have a stages to our cellular function.
Growth, stability (homeostasis), degradation / mutation and death.
47 is relatively young to die, but Adam experienced more life than many do twice his age.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun May 06, 2012 3:00 pm

thealien666 wrote:
Kenneth wrote:Look up nutritional therapy. I honestly believe we can get rid of cancer with vitamins.
Unfortunately, that's a misconception about vitamins.

The body takes only what it needs for functioning normally. It's true that a balanced diet will help prevent vitamin deficiencies that could potentially lower the body's immune system, and keep someone in good health. And taking vitamins supplements could possibly help keep a constant supply to body. But even in fast food there are some vitamins, believe it or not!
But once a cancer develops (rapid overgrowth of cells that become necrotic) there's not much the immune system can do to slow it down or stop it. Our only hope, to this day, is to destroy or remove the cancerous cells, and hope they didn't propagate elsewhere in the body.

And taking vitamins supplements is good for someone who's health isn't strong, due to age or a recent illness, in order to get what they lack back into the body. But for someone in relatively good health, taking vitamins is pretty much wasted time and money, unless you want a placebo effect for psychological reasons, since the body will eliminate the ones it doesn't need, which would be most of them.

And forget about curing cancer with them, while vitamins might slightly help in the short term they will definitely not, and most unfortunately not, get rid of cancer.

If they did, people would not still be dying by the millions each year to this terrible, deadly illness...
On vitamins, D, E, K, and A are fat soluble. That means they get stored in fat cells for long periods of time. If you take too much vitamin D, E, K, or A, you CAN overdose yourself and cause severe adverse reactions.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun May 06, 2012 3:49 pm

Voltor07 wrote:On vitamins, D, E, K, and A are fat soluble. That means they get stored in fat cells for long periods of time. If you take too much vitamin D, E, K, or A, you CAN overdose yourself and cause severe adverse reactions.
True, but the usual dosage of vitamins supplements are too low to cause that. Unless one purposely takes more than the recommended dosage.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun May 06, 2012 4:46 pm

Taking D, E, K, and A while eating foods high in these vitamins can cause accidental overdose, as well. And yes, MCA went far before his time. Like Kevin said, though, he lived a lot for his young age. :(