Any Minimoog owners that also really like the Little Phatty?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

Re: Any Minimoog owners that also really like the Little Pha

Post by EricK » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:12 pm

We got those for Christmas that year. I got the SK-5, my sister got the SK-1. I awoke to my dad playing the keyboard that Christmas morning. I remember there was also the Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom game for the commodore 128 that same year. Im showing my age lol.

I loved the SK-5 because of the sampler and the drum machine, but I never saw much of the SK-1.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Haha. I must admit to having bought a Realistic Concertmate 500 (a renamed Casio SK-1 made for Radio Shack), because I couldn't afford an Ensoniq Mirage. I was already still making payments on my C-64 super computer system (color monitor, three floppy drives, 300 bauds modem, and Koala pad). :roll:

Did I ever mentioned how old I am ? Well, now you have a better idea. :lol:

Anyway, I had a lot of fun with the SK-1, but its poor sound quality prevented me from using it seriously musically. I had my Realistic MG-1 (that I had bought used for cheap) for that.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:00 pm

We still have our 128, 1571, 1541 and the koala pad. lol The 1571 gave out completely on me last time I fired it up. THe spring won't hold the drive closed.

Oh well...

muksys

Post by muksys » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:12 pm

Looks like we are all a bunch of ol geezers! Had me a C=64 and the Coleco Adam. (Oh man, my name is Adam, and my dog's name is Coleco. Holy crapping hell, I AM a herd! :lol: :lol: )

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:36 pm

My father is the geezer lol.

museslave

Post by museslave » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:48 pm

panorama1003 wrote:@museslave,

man, what a bummer you are. why don't you save your sarcasm.
You know, a lot of people come to this forum to learn about Moog synthesizers. I personally feel, with a fair amount of experience, that the notion that all synthesizers are equal (despite differences in sound, functionality, etc.) is really disingenuous. There is simply no point in discussing various models if the end conclusion is "everything is awesome, and it's up to you to decide."

As should be evident to anyone who knows who I am, I love Moog instruments. I am, perhaps, one of the biggest supporters of Moog instruments. In fact, I'm even often described as a shill for Moog. Despite all of that, no one does ANYONE any favors by blithely stating that every synth is good, they're all just as good as every other, and everything is flowers and rainbows. Yeah, we're all sick of the MInimoog vs. Voyager troll debate, but that's not to say there aren't significant differences that might appeal to the various tastes of individuals. Moog instruments are professional instruments. They're not toys for the general public. As such, making distinctions between them is very consistent with their professional fan base.

I am a Minimoog (1973) owner who likes the LIttle Phatty. My like of the Little Phatty was quite a shock to me, because I am a professional synthesist, and I resent a lack of knob-per-function on a Moog instrument. I specifically decried the Little Phatty... until I was fortunate enough to play with one. It was at that point that I realized that it really is a useful synthesizer... especially as a Moog with its pricetag. I like the Phatty, and support it. It's a functional synthesizer with a distinctive sound and a very exciting pricetag. It serves the purposes of a more consumer-based synth player with a limited budget.

But would I compare it to a MInimoog or a Voyager? Never in a million years. Yes, each artist finds his or her own voice, but the more functionality and great sound a synth has, the better it is (no musician ever says "Yeah, I tried a Moog modular, but it just wasn't for me. I preferred a Moog Satellite"). There IS an objective truth to it. Let's drop the Minimoog out, and simply compare the Phatty with the Voyager. The Voyager vastly exceeds the sound AND the functionality of the Phatty. To say "to each his own" in regard to these two synths is just obnoxious starry-eyed ignorance. The Voyager blows AWAY the Phatty in sound AND functionality. And is that my opinion? Heavens no... it's the opinion of anyone who recognizes the value of sound and functionality... including MOOG, who prices the Voyager QUITE differently than the Phatty.

So, when I'm a sarcastic asshole, it's not because I'm a troll... it's because there is an OBJECTIVE viewpoint out there in regard to these instruments. The Phatty, as great as it is, is NOT the equal of the Voyager. And, as a guy whose whole career is based upon his worship of the Minimoog, the Phatty is about as distant from the MInimoog as you could get in regard to Moog instruments.

So, please excuse me if I am obnoxious and sarcastic about the Pollyanna view about "everything is equal and sunshine and roses." Some of us try to be objective about this stuff, and the more functionality and great sound a thing has, the more valuable it is. (Not a bash against the Phatty, but a Minimoog or Voyager it is NOT).
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:26 pm

museslave wrote:...To say "to each his own" in regard to these two synths is just obnoxious starry-eyed ignorance.

Hmm, talk about nastyness...

There is such a thing as respect for other people's preferences and budget, ya know ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

muksys

Post by muksys » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:55 pm

Oh boy. Never fails. Wah Wah Wah.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:42 am

thealien666 wrote:
museslave wrote:...To say "to each his own" in regard to these two synths is just obnoxious starry-eyed ignorance.

Hmm, talk about nastyness...

There is such a thing as respect for other people's preferences and budget, ya know ?
Literally everything muselsave said was relevant and in no way was intended to show disrespect toward the budgets of others. An opinion is entirely personal, there is no need to be defensive.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:27 am

A personal opinion can be expressed without the need to denigrate others by inferring that they're obnoxious starry-eyed ignorants, just because one doesn't agree with them when they say "to each his own" with regards to different analog synths models.

I don't quite understand Marc (aka museslave), when he feels he needs to do that to get his point across. :roll:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:24 am

Re: I specifically decried the Little Phatty... until I was fortunate enough to play with one

I fail to understand how anyone can denigrate anything without having first hand experience...

:?:
Cheers,
Cameron

"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
— Frank Zappa

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:50 am

Okay okay, "this is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not argue and bicker about who killed who!"
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:17 am

I decried the Little Phatty until I saw one in person, and I still decry it. I heard they improved the keybed, but I still feel that it is a toy compared to the Voyager.

It has a decent sound, but thats all I'll give it.

muksys

Post by muksys » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:47 pm

EricK wrote:I decried the Little Phatty until I saw one in person, and I still decry it. I heard they improved the keybed, but I still feel that it is a toy compared to the Voyager.

It has a decent sound, but thats all I'll give it.
well thats just plain silly.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:01 pm

muksys wrote:well thats just plain silly.
Why?