Any Minimoog owners that also really like the Little Phatty?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

Re: Any Minimoog owners that also really like the Little Pha

Post by EricK » Tue May 01, 2012 1:12 am

My sax playing is like two elephants with diarrhea making love while drowning in a tar pit on a hot summers day in an unforgiving savannah.

"The bad jazz that a cat blows, wails long after he's cut out" -Lord Buckley
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

muksys

Post by muksys » Tue May 01, 2012 1:33 am

Colin Stetson maybe??

just a reiteration of my point that sometimes, it IS the musician and NOT the instrument.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:21 pm

I would posit that if you are unable to get beautiful sounds out of a phatty and some effects, then that is your own deficiency as a musician.
In fact anyone with a DAW and a MIDI controller has way more than enough at their disposal to make beautiful music. Add even just a slim phatty or a minitaur and you have what musicians/producers of the past could only dream about. So I agree that today, it is more about the musician than the instrument.

muksys

Post by muksys » Tue May 01, 2012 2:46 pm

unfiltered37 wrote:I would posit that if you are unable to get beautiful sounds out of a phatty and some effects, then that is your own deficiency as a musician.
In fact anyone with a DAW and a MIDI controller has way more than enough at their disposal to make beautiful music. Add even just a slim phatty or a minitaur and you have what musicians/producers of the past could only dream about. So I agree that today, it is more about the musician than the instrument.
and with crap like this anyone can make crappy techno on the go! Now, that is a toy!

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue May 01, 2012 5:08 pm

Moog is going to have to get with the picture. Korg did away with the knob.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue May 01, 2012 5:11 pm

unfiltered37 wrote:it is more about the musician than the instrument.
You are right, but if you have an instrument that is uninspiring, it's going to be hell to play. Like if you have a negative issue with a damaged instrument, it makes it hard to not think about that issue when it drains your creativity.

If you have been making music for a long time, you deserve more than a student model instrument. If you can really afford it, do yourself a favor. There is a difference.

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Wed May 02, 2012 2:00 pm

EricK wrote:
unfiltered37 wrote:it is more about the musician than the instrument.
You are right, but if you have an instrument that is uninspiring, it's going to be hell to play. Like if you have a negative issue with a damaged instrument, it makes it hard to not think about that issue when it drains your creativity.

If you have been making music for a long time, you deserve more than a student model instrument. If you can really afford it, do yourself a favor. There is a difference.
As a long time guitar player, it is interesting to see this discussion in a synth context. With the guitar, I really believe it is 90% musician, 10% instrument.
And plenty of folks have made lasting impressions with 'student' model instruments. (big caveat- 'student' model guitars can be tweaked/setup/modded and improved)

At least in the synth world the differences between various bits of gear and their value are usually quite clear, for example it is easy for all to understand why the Voyager costs more than the LP.
In the guitar world, it's just batshit - try and explain just why the $10K version of the Les Paul Model guitar is worth 3x the $3K version of the Les Paul, musically. You play 3x better because
they hand-rubbed the finish?

I like/use my LP, and with the CV outs find it quite useful as a controller kbd also. But, I'm not a whiz at the keys, so can't comment on the feel.

filtered

Post by filtered » Wed May 02, 2012 9:09 pm

In the guitar world, it's just batshit - try and explain just why the $10K version of the Les Paul Model guitar is worth 3x the $3K version of the Les Paul, musically. You play 3x better because
they hand-rubbed the finish?
hahaha!! very true!

with the LP, I think it's overcoming your knob-to-function limitations- soundwise, I think it's not an issue; the LP SOUNDS fantastic- but if you're an experienced subtractive synthesis player that has knob tweaking tricks up his/her sleeve, you may get frustrated at times with the LP- I think MY ideal would be to have a Voyager AND a LP on stage- 2 Voyagers and you'd need a cape... gotta love a random heated discussion, sparked by an innocent post :lol:

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed May 02, 2012 10:25 pm

My "student model" reference was mainly in reference to my Bundy trumpet and Vito tenor sax. With instruments like that there really is a difference.

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Wed May 02, 2012 10:28 pm

EricK wrote:My "student model" reference was mainly in reference to my Bundy trumpet and Vito tenor sax. With instruments like that there really is a difference.
Very true. As i mentioned, guitars are a bit more upgradeable. Trumpets, not so much.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:55 pm

The Little Phatty, while not a knob per function dealio, is quite inspiring to me. Just my opinion. I've played the Voyager, it is much more versatile with the knob per function, but in my opinion, the LP has a much fuller sound per oscillator. I think the filter overdrive has something to do with it. I'd love to add a Voyager to my arsenal someday, though. :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

filtered

Post by filtered » Wed May 02, 2012 11:06 pm

LP has a much fuller sound per oscillator. I think the filter overdrive has something to do with it
definitely-
the Voyager can get that aggessive..., once you figure it out, but yeah, the LP out of the box has that meaner sound

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu May 03, 2012 12:43 am

The LP would benefit greatly from being able to switch filter poles. I think this is one of the Voyager's secret weapons.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:02 am

Umm, the Little Phatty CAN switch filter poles. 1,2,3,4 poles are all available in the menu. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Thu May 03, 2012 8:17 am

Voltor07 wrote:Umm, the Little Phatty CAN switch filter poles. 1,2,3,4 poles are all available in the menu. :wink:
True dat
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30