iPad sequence minitaur. How?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
elcalifa

iPad sequence minitaur. How?

Post by elcalifa » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Just got my minitaur and picked up an iPad 1 with USB kit. Have been rocking the animoog via USB controller on iPad and the minitaur with midi foot controller. I read something about a midi sequencing apps on the iPad that can control the minitaur via USB midi. Is this true? how free might these apps be as I would only want to do simple 2 or 4 bar melodies.

muksys

Re: iPad sequence minitaur. How?

Post by muksys » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:35 pm

Free: Little MIDI Machine

Paid (& awesome!): Phaedra, StepPolyArp

Both phaedra & StepPolyArp can also control Animoog within iPad. Verynice.

elcalifa

Post by elcalifa » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:08 pm

Awesome. I tried the little midi machine but hated the way the interface looked. Phaedra is awesome.
2 minutes after downloading and connecting minitaur:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0NHGPD2 ... AAAAAAAAAA

Froze up a few times after about ten minutes of continuous playing of a sequence but sweet app. Wont have to be a hard sequencer after all?

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:46 am

This is badass! What did you use for the interface exactly? What's your signal path setup look like? Is this just camera connection kit to usb to minitaur, or irig, or something else? I've been toying around quite a bit with wireless MIDI but haven't quite figured out how to get everything going without having to waste tons of time to set it up.
www.ctrlshft.com

elcalifa

Post by elcalifa » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:42 pm

iPad to iPad camera kit to USB into minitaur. Easy as that. The phaedra recognized it right away. I was quite pleasing to read. MOOG MINITAUR in the midi devices list. :mrgreen:

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:15 pm

elcalifa wrote:iPad to iPad camera kit to USB into minitaur. Easy as that. The phaedra recognized it right away. I was quite pleasing to read. MOOG MINITAUR in the midi devices list. :mrgreen:
Awesome! I'm definitely going to have to try this out. Would love to do the same w/ my SEM (will have to figure out the logistics of that since it's not USB but I'm sure it'd be do-able ala something like http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irigmidi/features/).
www.ctrlshft.com

elcalifa

Post by elcalifa » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:19 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:
elcalifa wrote:iPad to iPad camera kit to USB into minitaur. Easy as that. The phaedra recognized it right away. I was quite pleasing to read. MOOG MINITAUR in the midi devices list. :mrgreen:
Awesome! I'm definitely going to have to try this out. Would love to do the same w/ my SEM (will have to figure out the logistics of that since it's not USB but I'm sure it'd be do-able ala something like http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irigmidi/features/).
You would need a USB midi to cv controller. Haven't done that yet but it should work. I have a MFOS Semi modular that I will be trying this on whenever I can buy a USB midi to cv controller. Have plenty to have fun with right now with this minitaur so I am happy.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:53 pm

elcalifa wrote:
CTRLSHFT wrote:
You would need a USB midi to cv controller. Haven't done that yet but it should work. I have a MFOS Semi modular that I will be trying this on whenever I can buy a USB midi to cv controller. Have plenty to have fun with right now with this minitaur so I am happy.
It'd depend on the software involved (not sure about Phaedra specifically) but midi out to device would work just the same with CC assignments. I've got a Kenton Pro Solo MKII which has the necessary cc assignable aux outputs/gate/cv so seems like it'd be doable with that.
www.ctrlshft.com

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:41 pm

I want to do this on my iPad 3 (aka the new iPad), but I've seen some people saying they have lots of problems with things not being recognized w/that combo and some who say it is flawless. Anyone out there using the combo w/things like MIDI keyboards or instruments like the Minitaur on the new iPad?