Bring back the Moog Modular

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
thealien666

Re: Bring back the Moog Modular

Post by thealien666 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:14 am

Essentially, part of what Kevin is proposing is similar to what is being done with DSP technology in some effect pedals today (for example Strymon). The same exact chip in different pedals that perform different audio effects. Same PCB in each of them.

But in combination with (or only using) analog ASIC (application specific integrated circuit, ie chips that can be built to perform different functions depending on the mask used when making them) instead of only Digital Signal Processor. Greatly reducing the cost of having different printed circuit boards designed and produced for every different module.

But I wonder what would be the cost of having a specialized chip building company create custom ASIC in moderate quantities ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

MC

Post by MC » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:24 am

Kevin Lightner wrote:How about this for a nutty idea?

<snip, shear, chop>

I know, crazy and complex idea.
Sort of a cross between a standard modular and a programmable Arp 2500 or Buchla 200e.
It's a safe bet that Don Buchla might had thought of the same thing...!
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

museslave

Post by museslave » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:01 pm

"I want a Moog modular, even if it sounds nothing like a modern Moog or vintage Moog modular, so that it can be inexpensive?"
:::scratching head:::
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:57 pm

thealien666 wrote:

But I wonder what would be the cost of having a specialized chip building company create custom ASIC in moderate quantities ?
alesis had some experience with that in the a6 i guess..

i'd love to have a moog modular

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:31 pm

sunny pedaal wrote:
thealien666 wrote:

alesis had some experience with that in the a6 i guess..

i'd love to have a moog modular
It the case of Alesis, since they were making their own chips in their own facilities (now called Wavefront), they must have saved some money there. But the astronomical cost of the development of the A6 also played a big part in bringing the company to bankruptcy before it was bought back by Jack O'Donnell, who owns Numark and Akai Professional. Even though Alesis kept making and selling the A6 after the company was saved, it never completely recovered the money invested in the project.

Somewhat similar to what happened to Moog Music when it was bought back by Norlin (who owned many other brands of musical equipment and instruments) back in the seventies. The development of the Polymoog, which didn't sell well, played a big part in bringing the company down with it (but not the only reason).

So maybe that is part of the reasons why the current Moog Music Inc company is hesitant to dive into either a polyphonic Moog or a Modular Moog...? Is there a big enough market for them out there, to justify the enormous development and production costs, considering their overhead, outsourcing and all that, as Amos mentioned earlier ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:55 pm

i understand.
the slim phatty comes close already though.
a box to put in 8 of them + only one front....
sorry to keep dreaming. :roll:
but surely, i'm glad some people look after the continuity of the company indeed
better one moog in the hand then an 8voice in the sky ( ol' dutch saying)

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:26 pm

sunny pedaal wrote:better one moog in the hand then an 8voice in the sky ( ol' dutch saying)
Wait.. There's a dutch saying about having Moog around vs having an 8-Voice Polysynth? :lol:
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:13 pm

David Smyth wrote:
sunny pedaal wrote:better one moog in the hand then an 8voice in the sky ( ol' dutch saying)
Wait.. There's a dutch saying about having Moog around vs having an 8-Voice Polysynth? :lol:
Yes...yes there is. There is because sunny said so, and he would know. 8)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:47 pm

What would people from the Netherlands know about the Dutch?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:52 pm

unfiltered37 wrote:What would people from the Netherlands know about the Dutch?
From Wikipedia: Kingdom of the Netherlands, located mainly in North-West Europe and with several islands in the Caribbean. Mainland Netherlands borders the North Sea to the north and west, Belgium to the south, and Germany to the east, and shares maritime borders[7] with Belgium, Germany and the United Kingdom. It is a parliamentary democracy organised as a unitary state. The country capital is Amsterdam and the seat of government is The Hague.[8] The Netherlands in its entirety is often referred to as Holland, although North and South Holland are actually only two of its twelve provinces (a case of pars pro toto; see terminology of "the Netherlands").

So, gee, it would appear people from the Netherlands would not know ANYTHING about the Dutch. :sarcasm:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:05 pm

:lol: Good one Voltor07 ! :lol:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:49 pm

Sometimes it amazes me how some people can graduate high school without a basic grasp of geography. :roll:

Better one Moog in the hand than an 8-voice in the sky, as the Dutch say. :mrgreen:

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:31 am

What would people from Holland know about the Netherlands or the Dutch?

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:18 am

everybody knows about the dutch :
( British Tourist John Dowie ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXec_RCWNII

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:34 am

thealien666 wrote::lol: Good one Voltor07 ! :lol:
Mmmm, not really because:

A/ He didnt really get unfiltereds comment
B/ the text about the Netherlands doesnt even contain the word "Dutch". So even though he didn't understand the witty comment, he still gives no explanation.

Not such a good one after all eh ?
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo