What do all you 'foogers think of the DSI Prophet?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
thealien666

Re: What do all you 'foogers think of the DSI Prophet?

Post by thealien666 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:27 pm

One could make the analogy (pun intended) that the P08 is to the P5 what the Voyager is to a Minimoog D.
The P08 and Voyager are clean sounding, and rather sophisticated instruments. The P5 (Rev 3 and above) and the Mini D are raw sounding, and rather simplistic. But sometimes, simplicity and boldness is exactly what one is looking for... :wink:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

dougt

Post by dougt » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:52 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
dougt wrote:
That's because you don't have the facts correct. The Rev 3 P-5 used CEM3340 VCOs and CEM3320 VCFs. The P-08 has DCOs and PA397 (basically a surface mount version of the CEM3396 Dual Wave Processor which was a low-cost chip containing a 4-pole filter, waveshaper, mixer, and VCAs used in the Matrix-6/1000)...
Oh...that's right, actually. Sorry, my bad. I'll shut up now. :oops:
No prob it just bugs me when I see misinformation spread around. You'd think the internets would help spread valid info around but it seems to have the opposite effect more often than not. :( Maybe if you would delete your previous post it would help...

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:14 pm

dougt wrote: Maybe if you would delete your previous post it would help...
Done. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:40 am

dougt wrote:You'd think the internets would help spread valid info around but it seems to have the opposite effect more often than not.
Actually it helps spreading information -bad or good.

J C Selector

Post by J C Selector » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:22 pm

I've had mine for a few years now and love it.
I dont understand when people complain about the menus, there are no submenus and you mostly dont need to use them.
I cant compare it to a P5 but its a P08 not a P5.

diddi_jo

Post by diddi_jo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Boy, this discussion got complicated.
When saying that the P08 had more diverse modulation than the vintage lot, I wasn't slagging off a P5 to any degree. But my P08 still has 4 LFO's and 4 matrix busses on top of separate busses for the wheels and keys. This goes way deeper than my old flagship Jupiter-8, which only sports a single LFO. That's not to say that the Jup sounds bad or anything. Just that for those interested in programming their own sounds, there are a lot of possibilities there, added to the benefits of touring with a brand new instrument, less likely to break down.
Some of those vintage synths are of course completely irreplaceable and an absolute joy to play and use, but upon hearing a piece of music, what keyboard is being played is generally a trivial question.

Regards,
Sid
Voyager OS, Prophet 08, Rhodes MkI 73, NordLead2 and more...

filtered

Post by filtered » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:50 pm

Boy, this discussion got complicated.
haha- add it to the pile
Some of those vintage synths are of course completely irreplaceable and an absolute joy to play and use, but upon hearing a piece of music, what keyboard is being played is generally a trivial question.
amen sister!

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:06 pm

I owned an Evolver for a while, got rid of it because I didn't care for the sound. Even though it sports plenty of analog, there's a difference between cheap analog and expensive analog. When I listened to the Prophet 08 in the store, I was struck by a similar feeling. This doesn't seem to be a common view here so let's just say that it's a very personal impression.

I recently bought a Voyager, and while I can't speak to the difference between this and the Model D, I do know that I'm thrilled with the raw sound of the oscillators and filter. I can't stand the presets though, so I just use it in 'initialize parameters' mode or whatever they call it.

I'm kinda spoiled though, I grew up with Serge Modular stuff and I can't abide the sound of some of the lower quality modulars out there. Some of you at least will know what I mean by that.

Stephen

DocT

Post by DocT » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:51 am

Voltor07 wrote:I will give the P08 credit in the pads area. It puts out some real nice pads. I just can't justify spending 2k on a pads-only machine.
Pads only??

http://www.trippler.net/files/p8/p8t.mp3

http://www.trippler.net/files/p8/p8r.mp3

Drums from Spectrasonics Stylus RMX

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:06 am

DocT wrote:
Pads only??
Lemme put it another way, as I meant no disrespect to the P08. :) I use the Little Phatty for leads. It does leads very well. It has that great 24dB ladder filter we all know and love, as well as a super warm sound that overdrives nicely. I use a Taurus 3 for bass, and as we all know, nothing sounds quite the same as a Taurus, except maybe the Rogue. All I would use the P08 for in my arsenal is pads, and the occasional sequence. There's no reason for me, personally, to get a P08. Especially since I'm in the midst of building a modular. Again, just my humble opinion.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.