Kurzweil Ribbon Controller with Moog?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
namahshaman

Kurzweil Ribbon Controller with Moog?

Post by namahshaman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:04 pm

I believe I've seen photos on here where someone has a Kurzweil ribbon controller on their Voyager. Would you mind explaining to me how it works? Does it use CV, MIDI, or both? And, do you use it to control filters and modulations, or pitch? Thanks. :)

dr_floyd

Re: Kurzweil Ribbon Controller with Moog?

Post by dr_floyd » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:21 pm

If you're talking about the Kurzweil ribbon that's part of the Expressionmate desktop module, then yes, you get all manner of programmable MIDI events, plus 3 arpeggiators and a breath controller input. It is complex, but fantastic.

The Kurzweil ribbon that is sold separately to plug into some of the workstations won't do anything for the Voyager as a stand-alone ribbon, unless you run it through an Eowave or similar that converts controller signals into MIDI.

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:07 pm

namahshaman wrote:I believe I've seen photos on here where someone has a Kurzweil ribbon controller on their Voyager. Would you mind explaining to me how it works? Does it use CV, MIDI, or both? And, do you use it to control filters and modulations, or pitch? Thanks. :)
You must have seen the same ribbon controller that I saw on ebay last night, got a bit interested and then looked into it some more and realised it was fairly useless unless you had a compatable Kurzweil keyboard (of which I have none)!
:? :D
Cheers,
Cameron

"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
— Frank Zappa

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:02 pm

That was a Kurzweil ExpressionMate setup.
There are two parts with the ribbon a PC2SRIB and the MIDI brain unit. It's just a MIDI controller that you would combine with the Voyager MIDI output. Mostly I used it for controling external MIDI units. When I tried to loop it back into the Voyager via local off, I got many hanging notes. Didn't seem to like the MIDI comming fron the Voyager, perhaps a buffer over load? I eventually stopped using it due to the hanging notes with the polyphonic Voyager and two RME's attached.
But no CV's without a MIDI to CV converter, and the ribbon is not a stand alone unit without the MIDI brain part. Still a fun and unique digital controller.
For analog ribbon controllers the Moog 1150 is still my fav. :D
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

analogmadness

Post by analogmadness » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:31 pm

Thats treuly the coolest ribbon controller ive seen in my life, did moog release them like that or is it custom?
Like to know more about that one :D

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:40 pm

Excellent. Thanks for getting back to us, CZ Rider, appreciate the info. I'll be honest, I already have a Doepfer r2m ribbon controller, I use it with the Phatty. But when I saw how good the Kurzweil looked with the Voyager, I had to find out if it was comparable, or possibly superior to the r2m. Guess not, at least not for my particular needs.

Only problem now is that I want that 1150 . . . hotdamn. I could really make our guitarist jealous soloing with that beast. :mrgreen:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:14 pm

analogmadness wrote:Thats treuly the coolest ribbon controller ive seen in my life, did moog release them like that or is it custom?
CZ did the work himself. I remember when he was showing it off. :)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:14 pm

analogmadness wrote:Thats treuly the coolest ribbon controller ive seen in my life, did moog release them like that or is it custom?
One of my many custom Moogs, just a stock 1150 that was customized with extra controls and a wood body/headstock. That was actually done back in the 70's, when you could just go down to the music store and order/purchase an 1150 new.
The body is red Honduran mahogany. The 1150's black anodize body was polished out and clear coated, along with wood venier inserts on the sides and back.
Another view:
The original Moog it controled was a slightly customized Minimoog. With knobs to control decay time via the left hand jack and modulation amount using one pin in the 6 prong power jack on the back of the Mini. There were a few other mods and an interface box where all the connections could be made.

A closeup of the sickle shaped panel:

The little panel on the 1150 was also modified with a smaller ribbon and various switches.

I wouldn't recommend doing a custom today, as the 1150 is quite rare, but back in the 70's it was fun to have. Still have two original unmodified 1150's. Oddly enough I purchased them as spares in the early 80's and paid $40 for the both directly from Moog.
But that Kurzweil did fit right over the Voyager keyboard, much like the 1150 fit over the Mini keyboard. (Can see the Kurzweil brain box to the left of the Voyager.)
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:27 pm

I thought I like my 1150, but suddenly, it does not look as cool as I thought :shock: Me want a guitarified 1150. :mrgreen:

CZ : do you happen to have a source for a ribbon replacement ? Mine is slightly damaged, plays fine though, so it was never a bother.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:44 pm

You guys seen this custom ribbon controller made by David Vorhaus, the "kaleidophon":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH3aYVbILP4

analogmadness

Post by analogmadness » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:53 pm

CZ Rider wrote:
One of my many custom Moogs, just a stock 1150 that was customized with extra controls and a wood body/headstock. That was actually done back in the 70's, when you could just go down to the music store and order/purchase an 1150 new.
The body is red Honduran mahogany. The 1150's black anodize body was polished out and clear coated, along with wood venier inserts on the sides and back.
Another view:
The original Moog it controled was a slightly customized Minimoog. With knobs to control decay time via the left hand jack and modulation amount using one pin in the 6 prong power jack on the back of the Mini. There were a few other mods and an interface box where all the connections could be made.

A closeup of the sickle shaped panel:

The little panel on the 1150 was also modified with a smaller ribbon and various switches.

I wouldn't recommend doing a custom today, as the 1150 is quite rare, but back in the 70's it was fun to have. Still have two original unmodified 1150's. Oddly enough I purchased them as spares in the early 80's and paid $40 for the both directly from Moog.
But that Kurzweil did fit right over the Voyager keyboard, much like the 1150 fit over the Mini keyboard. (Can see the Kurzweil brain box to the left of the Voyager.)
Thanx for the info CZ Rider thats one fancy custom ribboncontroller. 40$ for two 1150's thats just wonderfull :D

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:16 pm

Portamental wrote:CZ : do you happen to have a source for a ribbon replacement ? Mine is slightly damaged, plays fine though, so it was never a bother.
Ribbon replacement was the reason I found two complete 1150's back in the 80's. Called the Moog factory for replacements and they did not have any, but had two returned complete units they sold me, I guess for the price of the ribbons only.
The only other one I have ever contacted was Mike Bucki of Modusonics about replacements, as I was looking for one for my 956 Ribbon Controller. Can't remember if they were $75 or $100? But Mike seems to have fallen off the face of the Earth. Too bad really, he was a great source for parts for my modular. :(

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:54 am

CZ Rider wrote:Ribbon replacement was the reason I found two complete 1150's back in the 80's. Called the Moog factory for replacements and they did not have any, but had two returned complete units they sold me, I guess for the price of the ribbons only.
That rare huh? I thought I would find one eventually. No more wait then, I still have a roll of thin foil from my CNC days and a laminator. Going to give a try DIY style.