Post your latest purchase!!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
David Smyth

Re: Post your latest purchase!!

Post by David Smyth » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:10 pm

I needed a good stage piano for composing/recording/live use for my industrial rock project:

No menus, and cool built in effects including amp+cab simulations & overdrive using a real tube, phasers, flangers, & reverbs + delay.

It's a bit of a coincidence that the amber lights around the knobs match my little phatty. 8)

Tried one in the store, but I'm waiting for mine to arrive in a week or so.

Regards,
David Smyth
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:20 pm

David, what are your thoughts on the SV-1? I've been looing at them since they came out, but not sure if it would be worth it. What's the keyboard action like? Does it sound like what it's supposed to? Or does it sound like bad samples?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:44 pm

Voltor07 wrote:David, what are your thoughts on the SV-1? I've been looing at them since they came out, but not sure if it would be worth it. What's the keyboard action like? Does it sound like what it's supposed to? Or does it sound like bad samples?
Well firstly, I'm no pianist - my only venture into keyboards (from bass) has been my Phatty chain and an old Technics arranger with waterfall keys (given to me).
Secondly, I'm mainly into the Acoustic Piano sounds (plus maybe some strings + pads), not the organs, rhodes, clavs, electric pianos etc. that are included - and I wouldn't know how they compare to the real deal, but I can tell they are of high quality. I'm sure everything sounds good (especially the Acoustic Pianos - as that's what I'm mainly looking at). Apparently you can download sound packs and a free software editor - this allows people like me to replace unwanted sounds (like organs etc.) with more pianos or strings/pads for example.

Being a synth tweaker, I really like the interface's simplicity and real-time hands-on approach. There's only 40 presets on the unit at one time - 6 sections with 6 variations + 8 quick-saved "patches". So unlike some of the Rolands etc, there isn't thousands of samples, but there's no menus to navigate either. I thought the effects were pretty cool, especially the different types of reverbs with acoustic piano sounds. Some of the effects I probably wouldn't use too often (as they would more suit sounds I wouldn't really use - but who knows, I'll probably stumble upon some cool sounds by putting effects over organs etc.).

The hammer keyboard action felt great to me (but I haven't played many pianos).

It's generally based around piano and alot of funky vintage sounds. In my case it will primarily be an Acoustic Stage Piano, but I'm sure the funky vintage sounds would be fun for mucking around with the band etc.

I've yet to actually receive my unit, so all this is based off playing in the store yesterday.

Regards,
David Smyth
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Well, it sounds like it might be worth it for me to get one eventually. Thanks, David! :)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:52 pm

I forgot to mention - They included mechanical sounds etc. into the sampling, such as the damper pedal clunking into position and all that type of thing, just to make it a bit more realistic. But I think that's getting pretty standard around the rival boards at that price range too.

David.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:03 pm

David Smyth wrote:I forgot to mention - They included mechanical sounds etc. into the sampling, such as the damper pedal clunking into position and all that type of thing, just to make it a bit more realistic. But I think that's getting pretty standard around the rival boards at that price range too.

David.
That I DID know. Pretty realistic, then, I'm guessing. :)

rjt3

Post by rjt3 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:26 am

T3-0343, Genz Benz 115T-UB.
I pulled the amp (Genz Benz 900 Streamliner) from my bass rig until the dedicated amp arrives next month.

A newbie to the synth world, I quickly discovered the T3 has a lot going on under the hood. I'll move the T3 to the floor and begin practicing with my feet (ever hopeful!) after learning more about its capabilities. The green tarp hides some of the tell-tale indicators of the office where I work, just in case my early morning sonic explorations lead to any items mysteriously falling off shelves, or worse, potential structural damage in others' offices.

T3-0343, Lab Series L2, Genz Benz 115T-UB

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:06 pm

rjt3 wrote:... The green tarp hides some of the tell-tale indicators of the office where I work, just in case my early morning sonic explorations lead to any items mysteriously falling off shelves, or worse, potential structural damage in others' offices.
I hope you're not working in a crystal wine glass store ? :lol:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

banyek

Post by banyek » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:32 am

0-5V custom built 0-5V cv box + newbie stencil paint by me :)
moog slim phatty, carbon copy mxr, electribe es-1, vermona drm-1, Doepfer A-125, A-106-5, A-143-9, MFOS 16-step sequencer, zoom h2

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:13 am

vasago wrote:What is that thing in dead center? with the 909-ish style buttons?
That is indeed a Sequentix Cirklon...one of my latest sequencers. ( www.sequentix.com )

Had several others before like the Nemo or a MAQ....but i regard this sequencer as one of the tightest and the best around (5 x MIDI out/in plus CV out)

drcarver

Post by drcarver » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:22 pm

Just picked up one of these bad boys! :mrgreen:

New album available!

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/chriscarver

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:26 pm

Those UA tube pres are cool. You use them for synths? I have been using these mostly for drums, but the minimoog sounds great through them as well:
Attachments
473 for web.jpg

MC

Post by MC » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:42 pm

Bought this squeaky clean specimen for the Rhodes and guitar, going to try the synths through it. It is the head version of the Twin Reverb, exact same circuit. It is a 1976 model and it still has the original RCA tubes in it, played by an old lady only on Sundays.

Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:19 pm

That looks brand new. Must have been some hip old lady.

It reminds me of that one Gibson amp that was under some guys bed for 60 years on ebay for like a gazillion dollars. All the tubes looked like various coke bottles.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

chromium

Post by chromium » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:26 pm

MC wrote:Bought this squeaky clean specimen for the Rhodes and guitar, going to try the synths through it. It is the head version of the Twin Reverb, exact same circuit. It is a 1976 model and it still has the original RCA tubes in it, played by an old lady only on Sundays.
Very nice!

I have an Alembic F2-B dual-channel/stereo pre, which is based on the preamp stage of the Dual Showman. Mine's currently running some old GE 12AX7As, and sounds wonderful with bass, guitar, and synths.

Regards,
Joe