Post your latest purchase!!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
stiiiiiiive

Re: Post your latest purchase!!

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:35 am

filosofem wrote:
stiiiiiiive wrote:I've been a MDUWist for 4-5 years now. Great instruments.
Ahhh... great instruments alright, they don't call them high-end for no reason, in fact, the Octatrack learning curve is steeper than Machinedrum which I picked up at the same time.
Yeah, I've really been on teh fence of buying an OT for 1-2 years, but wanted to have users debugging the OS. Now it is quite huge and I don't feel like diving in it. For now haha.
MD is a really cool one, cool learning curve but deep because of its subtle tricks...
filtered wrote:well, I made/coerced my bandmate pre-order a minibrute! (I'll get a hands on tryout before and most importantly IF I buy) :) does that count?
You've posted it here anyway. That betrays your evil plan MUHAHAhaaaaa !

filosofem

Post by filosofem » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:43 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:MD is a really cool one, cool learning curve but deep because of its subtle tricks...
Subtle tricks alright, I came from Korg ES mkII and although similar those Kit Engines, Parameter Locks and Modulation routing really sets the MD apart from other drum machines. I also dig the Song Editor.
Aaron Mulqueen: Moog Subsequent 37 - MF 104M

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:19 pm

I've barely used the song mode so far, but a growing project of mine will necessitate it. I have to get back to drum business very soon :)

Please do share what comes up from Moog and Elektron mariage!!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:04 pm

Extra income in april, so I've been making myself some presents during the last couple of months. Here I go.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Ouin, le remboursement d'impôt a été payant cette année ? :mrgreen:
(So, the income tax return was lucrative this year ?)

Beaux bidules ! :D
(Nice "toys")
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:48 pm

Eh non, mon augmentation rétroactive de salaire !! :)

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:11 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:Eh non, mon augmentation rétroactive de salaire !! :)
C'est encore mieux !

BTW, I have one of these... I'll let you guess which one... :wink:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:32 am

thealien666 wrote:BTW, I have one of these... I'll let you guess which one... :wink:
Hmmmm... I would say the 107.
Any clue?...

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:48 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:Extra income in april, so I've been making myself some presents during the last couple of months. Here I go.

hot damn, quite a score. Hope you enjoy the R2M, I'm a little jealous of the black version, ha, looks way cooler. Do you also have one of the EHX tube pedal? I've been thinking about getting one.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:22 am

I've the gray R2M. BTW, I've this page opened on my screen since a few weeks: the one where all the messages where I can why I could not use it as I wanted to, i.e. be able to play notes with the keyboards AND the ribbon (ghost hijacked topic ;) )

As far as EHX tube pedals go, I have the LPB2ube. I usually stick it right after the Nord Lead to get some cream.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:32 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:
thealien666 wrote:BTW, I have one of these... I'll let you guess which one... :wink:
Hmmmm... I would say the 107.
Any clue?...
Its biggest rival is the Strymon El Capistan...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:34 pm

Ting! Got it! :)

Precisely speaking of the RE20, I've noticed something uncool yesterday. I was playing with headphones, and when silent, I heard a kind of cyclic noise. Tried to bypass the different stompboxes, tried to set the volume of the synth to zero, but it was there.
I ended by the RE20 and saw the noise was in sync with the marketting-LED-stuff on it.

Here are my subsequent thoughs:
Wow, they went as far as modelling the tape noise... well it does not sound
exactly like a tape running though. Wait, let's bypass this one.
Ok, so... well. The tape is still running. I'm ok with that. But... wait. Let's unplug the power cord.

... still on??? Oooh sure, batteries. Erh wait.... no tape sound anymore?..."

So... it seems the runnig LED has its word to say when the unit is plugged into the wall.
Have you heard that yet, Alain ?

EDIT: from another forum, I got the answer that it could be the multiple adapter. I'll try with a proper one.

e3p0

Post by e3p0 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:08 pm

It doesn't do the odd stuff with batteries?

I remember reading about the RE-20 when it came out. I recall something like they incorporated anomalies and artifacts to mimic the analog tape version. I know you can have a dummy jack plugged in and "play" the delay pedal to get some cool sounds.

Maybe you heard what they want you to hear. Meaning, digital=boring and silent, so the odd noise/ artifacts are there to better mimic its forefathers.

I think the UA plug-in does some of this too.

I also remember a while back, a friend of mine had a Boss RC-20 (looper the same size as the RE-20). It started to act up with an aftermarket wall wort. It worked fine with AA batteries and the Boss PSA. Most often the Boss pedals say "use psa only" and we thought that was just good business. But it fixed his problem with the RC-20.

Good luck!
-e

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:33 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:Ting! Got it! :)

Precisely speaking of the RE20, I've noticed something uncool yesterday. I was playing with headphones, and when silent, I heard a kind of cyclic noise. Tried to bypass the different stompboxes, tried to set the volume of the synth to zero, but it was there.
I ended by the RE20 and saw the noise was in sync with the marketting-LED-stuff on it.

Here are my subsequent thoughs:
Wow, they went as far as modelling the tape noise... well it does not sound
exactly like a tape running though. Wait, let's bypass this one.
Ok, so... well. The tape is still running. I'm ok with that. But... wait. Let's unplug the power cord.

... still on??? Oooh sure, batteries. Erh wait.... no tape sound anymore?..."

So... it seems the runnig LED has its word to say when the unit is plugged into the wall.
Have you heard that yet, Alain ?

EDIT: from another forum, I got the answer that it could be the multiple adapter. I'll try with a proper one.
Yep, I've got that faint cyclic background noise synchronized with the "perpetual smile" LED too. That's the drawback of not having true bypass, I guess. To temporarily get rid of it (it's more pronounced at faster speeds) I simply tap tempo a 2 second repeat speed... It's not an elegant solution but it works good enough for me. From what you're describing (disappearing when powered from batteries) it could be LED variable PWM power, bleeding into the audio section from the internal power voltage regulator.

I have the original Boss PSA adaptor. But I'll try another regulated one, just to see...

EDIT I had bought the RE-20 before the El Capistan came out. And I have considered replacing it with the Strymon ever since... And now that the new version has true stereo TRS input, I'm even more tempted !
EDIT 2 I've tried it with batteries, and the cyclic noise level has been reduced greatly, but not disappeared completely. Definitely digital bleeding from the strobed LED display into the audio section (probably the analog op amps for the input gain).
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:20 pm

E3po, I get the idea of implementing some imperfections of the original box. However, I cannot understand why it would not happen when on batteries. Plus it does not sound exactly like any "plus". It's... ugly.

Morevover, the Alien's experiment has just confirmed my first feeling. I'll try by myself asap, just to be sure, with a Boss psa.

The Strymon is the one I was first looking for. Its price and scrace presence on the used market had me cracking for a good RE20 opportunity next to my place. But I must admit this noise is a shame.

Ok, so: with a Boss psa, the unit is not so noisy. I would say more or less as noisy as on batteries. This is a shame because I'just bought this Spot-1 for freeing some space in the pedal case when moving around...
BTW, e3po, you're right: the RE20 can be played even if no signal is fed.