Post your latest purchase!!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

Re: Post your latest purchase!!

Post by EricK » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:23 pm

That has to be the thing that lured me to Moog more than anything else. Beyond the panel descriptions there were hidden features. It's like reading the same line of literature as a beginner and as a master and understanding them on totally different levels.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:11 pm

Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:22 pm

Smart choice Kenneth...

(you will have guessed that I have that one too? :wink: )
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:59 pm

thealien666 wrote:Smart choice Kenneth...

(you will have guessed that I have that one too? :wink: )
No, I had no idea you had the Cathedral, Alain! I have only had it for a couple of hours, but I'm already falling in love with the wide range of reverb/delay and even some spacey modulations this thing is capable of. This is the first EHX pedal I have ever owned, and I now plan on owning more. :D

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:21 am

I thought you knew that I use it in almost all my recordings...

BTW, it's even more stellar in stereo... (noticed there is only one jack plugged in the output on the photo :mrgreen: )

The infinite reverb is always impressive.
I had thought about getting a Strymon BlueSky first, but its lack of programmable presets with a higher price tag made me hesitate. Plus, I had read rave reviews about the Cathedral. Well deserved I might add.

There are better ones out there, but definitely not in this price range. The Small Stone phaser, the Deluxe Memory Man and the Cathedral reverb are my three favorite EHX effects. Of course the MF-104z isn't bad either, especially the new upcoming version ! (had to say something good about Moog too,considering where we are! :lol: )
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:01 am

Excellent choice indeed Kenneth.

I also second Alain about using the Cathedral (and any reverb) in stereo when possible: it definitely add volume to the sound. A few days ago, I was jamming with a stereo reverb at the end of my audio chain. I suddenly realized the sound was... flat, narrow. I actually had right and left channels centered. When I set them back to where they belong, WOW!!!

I'm an EHX fanboy, like, you know: starting to want anything from them :lol: well not everything.
The Cathedral is in my set up too (along with 4-5 others, including DMM). I'm thinking about selling it though, in order to buy the MF104M. I know I can go back to it later. Same story about my recent RE-20... I don't know.

Alain, I've recently added a phaser to my board, a cool, flexible, CV-in-ready one. It has an unusual Mix setting that allows to get 100% phased signal, providing a kind of vibrato.

Subdecay Quasar deluxe.

...as well as...

Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:17 am

Looks like a cool phaser that Quasar DLX.

I too, have a RE-20. The only way I would consider getting rid of it would be to replace it with a Strymon El Capistan though.

For now, I'm contemplating an MF-103 ...for those rich, 12 stages, Moroder type swirls. Although, back in the day, he used the original Moog 12 stage phaser.

And I'm not saying that just because we're on the Moog forum, this time. :lol:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:54 am

Haha :lol:
thealien666 wrote:I too, have a RE-20. The only way I would consider getting rid of it would be to replace it with a Strymon El Capistan though.
Bingo.
I would get back to tape(-like) echo with the Strymon as well. Moreover it has a much more reasonable footprint.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:26 am

Completely agreed regarding stereo pedals in stereo. The issue is that I only have two working cables at the moment... Terrible, isn't it? I spend all my money on synths and effects and have none left for the musical arteries.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:32 am

Erick, here is a fun little exercise to learn the capabilites of your modular. Put the names of all modules on slips of paper and put them in a hat. Pull no more than 3 and make music/sounds with them until you exhaust the possibilities. Then unpatch and pull a new draw from the hat. Always fun when you pull Multiple, Mixer, VCA. Lol!
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:15 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:Subdecay Quasar deluxe.
Awesome looking pedal; horrible web site; any chance it has an LFO out?
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:28 am

Kenneth wrote:The issue is that I only have two working cables at the moment...
Would you swap your XL for my XL jack?... Come on, 20 feet... ;)
Just Me wrote:Erick, here is a fun little exercise to learn the capabilites of your modular. Put the names of all modules on slips of paper and put them in a hat. Pull no more than 3 and make music/sounds with them until you exhaust the possibilities. Then unpatch and pull a new draw from the hat. Always fun when you pull Multiple, Mixer, VCA. Lol!
Brilliant, I love that!
EMwhite wrote:
stiiiiiiive wrote:Subdecay Quasar deluxe.
any chance it has an LFO out?
Unfortunately not. That being said, I -not very skilled when it comes to electronics- think it may be not so difficult to "extract" the LFO signal of any pedal and route it through a jack.
Is anybody skilled here?... How to identify a LFO on a circuit board? How to know what couple of wires I shall solder to a female jack?...
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:28 pm

It would probably be possible to reverse engineer the PCB to find the LFO output signal, and hope it is buffered enough to tap it to an external jack. But that would certainly void the 3 years warranty on it.

Also, if the LFO output isn't buffered enough, then it would require adding some external op amp to do so. You would be better off buying an MF-103 if getting access to the LFO out signal is important (granted with very limited waveform).

Why buffering the LFO signal ? Because it might not be strong enough to drive external circuits, other than the ones it was designed for internally.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:50 pm

Interesting excercise! I might try that. It would be crappy to draw the seq and the two routing modules I have.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:00 pm

thealien666 wrote:It would probably be possible to reverse engineer the PCB to find the LFO output signal, and hope it is buffered enough to tap it to an external jack. But that would certainly void the 3 years warranty on it.

Also, if the LFO output isn't buffered enough, then it would require adding some external op amp to do so. You would be better off buying an MF-103 if getting access to the LFO out signal is important (granted with very limited waveform).

Why buffering the LFO signal ? Because it might not be strong enough to drive external circuits, other than the ones it was designed for internally.
I bought it used, but anyway that seems more difficult than I imagined. I wanted to get a used Pulsar or similar in order to do so, but I have to learn more before.

Oh and thanks for the lesson Alien :)