Post your latest purchase!!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

lfo2vco

Re: Post your latest purchase!!

Post by lfo2vco » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:19 pm

My latest purchase came in four parts; a secondhand Roland JX-3P, the KiwiTechnics 3P upgrade kit, new Graphic Overlays and lastly some input from myself and a soldering iron. The Jx-3P was pretty dirty so I stripped it down and gave it a good clean, especially the keys and keybed. 30 years of dust and fluff!! I then calibrated and tuned the oscillators, the filter and the pitch bend before going ahead with the upgrade. Today I applied the new graphic overlays and thought it looked so good I would take some photos to show the beast off. :D

Many thanks to Murray at KiwiTechnics for a brilliant upgrade and to Allen at The Synth Spa for supplying the Graphic Overlays. Also my new friend Tony who sold me the JX-3P.

kslight

Post by kslight » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:27 pm

No programmer though with the JX3P? Shame to spend so much money on upgrades if it doesn't have it.

Also not really a fan of the Kiwi overlays...which I could put on my JX3P or Polysix, but...hmmm...an acquired visual taste I guess...like bumper stickers.

Enjoy though, I like the JX3P, though pretty similar sonically to the Juno 106 IMHO so not sure how much I really need both...

lfo2vco

Post by lfo2vco » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:13 pm

kslight wrote:No programmer though with the JX3P? Shame to spend so much money on upgrades if it doesn't have it.

Also not really a fan of the Kiwi overlays...which I could put on my JX3P or Polysix, but...hmmm...an acquired visual taste I guess...like bumper stickers.
KiwiTechnics make an excellent Programmer for the Kiwi-3P (also works with a bunch of other synths). I’m using a panel built in CTRLR application, still a few items to adjust but have attached a screen grab.

kslight

Post by kslight » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:18 pm

lfo2vco wrote:
kslight wrote:No programmer though with the JX3P? Shame to spend so much money on upgrades if it doesn't have it.

KiwiTechnics make an excellent Programmer for the Kiwi-3P (also works with a bunch of other synths). I’m using a panel built in CTRLR application, still a few items to adjust but have attached a screen grab.
Yeah I've seen it, I wish it wasn't so expensive though...I could really use one with my JX8P that unfortunately was lacking its programmer. I suppose if I really wanted, I could sell my PG200 to fund almost the total cost of a Kiwi programmer to use with all of my knobless synths. I already have too much stuff with software based programming as is, I prefer hands on control when I can get it. Though it is unfortunate that a standalone programmer costs more than the synth itself, in the case of the JX/MKS synths.

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:29 pm

Just managed to grab one of these, locally here in New Zealand. It should fit in well for controlling my, now quite large, range of Moog gear.. :D

Can't wait until it arrives!

David
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:36 am

Here are my purchases of the last 6 months or so.

Doctor said: "you should not be carrying 25kg on your shoulders, even once a week". Trolley!!

Replaced my mixer to have better routing options.

This is for my girlfriend's Theremin : )

The chorus my first band used, nostalgia and mono-to-stereo duties...

.. and another chorus (and more)

My first analogue sequencer, veryveryfun!

And this week, I got this MIDI-equiped, normalzed out-modded little guy!!

...which is SO MUCH FUN too!!

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:20 am

^^ Very nice... two genuine vintage Moog oscillators (your first I believe?) and filter, and paraphony and...

Machine looks real clean too. If you ever wanted to play the resonance induced sine wave, the MG-1 is the best Moog for that.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:10 pm

Back in 1985, I had a great time with my Realistic MG-1 and a Boss CE-3 stereo chorus ! I kept them for more than 15 years !

Congrats on getting these, and the other interesting stuff as well, Stiiiiiiive ! :D
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:05 pm

Portamental wrote:^^ Very nice... two genuine vintage Moog oscillators (your first I believe?) and filter, and paraphony and...

Machine looks real clean too. If you ever wanted to play the resonance induced sine wave, the MG-1 is the best Moog for that.
Thanks Real. True, my very first vintage oscillators, I hadn't realized! The synth is really clean, it only has a little ding on the panel, which has hardly 2 weeks.
The filter sine is something I tried in the first minutes, I found it tracked well on 1 1/2 octave, but not on the whol keyboard. I will try to see whether the osc's tuning has a effect on this...
thealien666 wrote:Back in 1985, I had a great time with my Realistic MG-1 and a Boss CE-3 stereo chorus ! I kept them for more than 15 years !

Congrats on getting these, and the other interesting stuff as well, Stiiiiiiive ! :D
Thanks Alain. CE-3 was really purchased per nostalgia and for stereo duties. But I'll definitely have the MG-1 plugged in it now that you told me that :)

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:13 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote: The filter sine is something I tried in the first minutes, I found it tracked well on 1 1/2 octave, but not on the whol keyboard. I will try to see whether the osc's tuning has a effect on this...
OSC tuning will not have any effect on filter keyboard tracking. You'll have to open it, and adjust trimpot R1113 (located about in the middle of the PCB near the top edge when the synth is open. It will be the hole right next to the keyboard tracking toggle switch). You can reach it with a small screwdriver thru the PCB. Wait at least 30 minutes to let the machine warm-up before tuning it. And, of course, adjust the tracking with that switch in the FULL position... :wink: :mrgreen:

Here's a link to the service manual:

http://www.theappreciationpost.com/mg1- ... manual.htm
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

MC

Post by MC » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:19 pm

Don't be disappointed if the sine wave doesn't track well. Moog never implemented proper exponential conversion or temperature compensation in the ladder filter, although ARP did with their 4012/4034/4035 "infringing" ladder filters.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:40 pm

MC wrote:Don't be disappointed if the sine wave doesn't track well. Moog never implemented proper exponential conversion or temperature compensation in the ladder filter, although ARP did with their 4012/4034/4035 "infringing" ladder filters.
Although this is true, on some Moog synths like my Mini, once the tracking is adjusted, it is surprisingly stable (with a warmed-up machine). But it's tacking properly only when the cutoff is set at about -1.5 unfortunately (the very best that can be obtained) ...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

lfo2vco

Post by lfo2vco » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:08 pm

Nice cache of goodies stiiiiiiive, that MG-1 looks like new :D

MC

Post by MC » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:17 pm

thealien666 wrote:
MC wrote:Don't be disappointed if the sine wave doesn't track well. Moog never implemented proper exponential conversion or temperature compensation in the ladder filter, although ARP did with their 4012/4034/4035 "infringing" ladder filters.
Although this is true, on some Moog synths like my Mini, once the tracking is adjusted, it is surprisingly stable (with a warmed-up machine). But it's tacking properly only when the cutoff is set at about -1.5 unfortunately (the very best that can be obtained) ...
Again, that's due to the imperfect expo conversion. You found the sweet spot at -1.5. The conversion is pure exponential only within a certain current range of the expo converter, outside of that it's still nonlinear but no longer exponential.

...And that's part of the minimoog charm :)
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi