Post your latest purchase!!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
slabwax

Re: Post your latest purchase!!

Post by slabwax » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:54 pm

I just put a deposit down on the Buchla Easel. Should be ready some time around June-ish. I guess that is good now I just need to save and save.

muksys

Post by muksys » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:23 pm

slabwax wrote:I just put a deposit down on the Buchla Easel. Should be ready some time around June-ish. I guess that is good now I just need to save and save.
This is in my sights. What a fantastic time for analog. Both the Easel and the MS-20 re-released. Curious, how did you happen to pre-order?

In other news, this came in the mail today:

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:11 am

Stuka wrote:I really like the (relatively) compact neatness the rack mounts offer for the Moog gear, but it IS a bit of a PITA to set up!
Turns out that with the Minitaur and the MoogerFoogers (as has been addressed in other threads), you really need to leave 1-2U of open space above the rack mounts, OR angle the mounts instead of mounting "flat", to have access to the various jacks on the back panel.

Took a bit of experimenting, but the angled rack mounting seems to have worked out okay... :)

Randy

I'm almost ready to assemble an almost identical rack set-up (MF-102, MF-104M, MF-105M, Minitaur & Sub Phatty - My two CP-251's are in another rack close-by). I'm simply waiting for my Moogerfooger and Minitaur rackmount kits to arrive before I assemble.

I've also been active in some other rack mounting threads, and I see how you have tilted out the Moogerfooger rack - which is a great idea. What I am wondering from your photo, is where the Minitaur's jacks are accessible from (especially since the Minitaur/Moogerfoogers' front panels seem to interface reasonably flush, from the photo's angle).
Can you access these jacks (for patching) from the front? Or are they tucked behind the rack, possibly constantly patched behind the scenes into your patchbay?

This setup looks like loads of fun anyway! I can't wait to assemble mine! :mrgreen:

Regards,
David Smyth
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:12 am

@muksys,

I ordered mine from Eric at Foxtone Music,great guy. You can also go through Buchla which is now BEMI.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:41 am

David Smyth wrote:
Stuka wrote:I really like the (relatively) compact neatness the rack mounts offer for the Moog gear, but it IS a bit of a PITA to set up!
Turns out that with the Minitaur and the MoogerFoogers (as has been addressed in other threads), you really need to leave 1-2U of open space above the rack mounts, OR angle the mounts instead of mounting "flat", to have access to the various jacks on the back panel.

Took a bit of experimenting, but the angled rack mounting seems to have worked out okay... :)

Randy

I'm almost ready to assemble an almost identical rack set-up (MF-102, MF-104M, MF-105M, Minitaur & Sub Phatty - My two CP-251's are in another rack close-by). I'm simply waiting for my Moogerfooger and Minitaur rackmount kits to arrive before I assemble.

I've also been active in some other rack mounting threads, and I see how you have tilted out the Moogerfooger rack - which is a great idea. What I am wondering from your photo, is where the Minitaur's jacks are accessible from (especially since the Minitaur/Moogerfoogers' front panels seem to interface reasonably flush, from the photo's angle).
Can you access these jacks (for patching) from the front? Or are they tucked behind the rack, possibly constantly patched behind the scenes into your patchbay?

This setup looks like loads of fun anyway! I can't wait to assemble mine! :mrgreen:

Regards,
David Smyth
NZ
Morning David!

I do like the rack mounts, but unfortunately neither of the factory mounting recommendations for the Minitaur will give ready access to the back panel connections from the front of the rack.

I'm using an On-Stage inexpensive open frame 12U rack. Since the rack is already slanted, I opted for the flush mount for the Minitaur, and tilted the mounts for the Minitaur and the Mooger Foogers so I could reach the Minitaur jacks from the back. I just used some long 10-32 machine screws and jam nuts to provide the "tilt" spacing I needed to give me the clearances and access I needed to the CV panels on all the gear. Works fine for "studio" use, but I would probably want something sturdier (like flush-fitting full-length spacers for each of the rack mounts) if I was going to be moving the rack a lot.

There's a lot of unused space in the Minitaur rack-mount panels, so I may eventually mod the "blank" panel in the Minitaur rack and add jacks for some more CV multiples, or possibly even a multi-output pedal CV source like I saw mentioned in another thread:

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16244

Eventually, I may try a "permanent" patch bay solution for my racked Moog gear, but for now this will work for me. I don't anticipate a lot of CV-patching with the Minitaur (although that could change since I now have a CP-251!), so access from the open-frame rack suits me ~ for now!! :wink:

I have to admit -
TInkering with the CV control possibilities is a lot of fun!! :)

Randy
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi Randy,

Thanks for all the info! I guess I'll have to figure out the best racking configuration when the parts are ready for assembly. My rack has 12U's of capacity, with only 9U of Moog modules so far (like your setup minus the CP-251), so I should be able to space the units out as needed to access all of the jacks for patching from the front..

I sort of wish the Minitaur's rackmount didn't waste so much space - imagine another Minitaur-sized module mounted next to the Minitaur as a sequencer or something. One can dream! :lol:

P.S. That multi-output EP-2 mod looks pretty cool!

Thanks again! :D

David Smyth
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

Goinganalog

Post by Goinganalog » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:59 pm

Just new to the forum, but the latest extension to my setup are the white ones, the 102, 104m, 107 and 108m. There are absolutely insane.
Nice to speak to you, and I will post some more.

Mudfuzz

Post by Mudfuzz » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:25 am

I haz a second freqbox coming! So I can run two parallel. Also got a bunch of cords and a Fernandes Vertigo X for $73 [which is a freq'n awesome guitar really... well once you change the pickups...]
also haz a Ventura MIJ lawsuit EB2 copy body and neck coming for a possible EB6 project... :twisted:
imagination is the peanut butter that holds together the universe
Moog-gear: Slimphatty, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-107, CP-251, MP-201
Other synths: Dave Smith Mopho key, Multivox MX450

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:51 pm

http://www.makenoisemusic.com/images/mo ... um/dpo.jpg

and. . .

http://www.makenoisemusic.com/images/mo ... m/rene.jpg

to go along with. . .

http://www.makenoisemusic.com/images/mo ... /maths.jpg

Should be arriving any day!

For me, this seems like the most logical place to go to supplement the lovely sound of the moog oscillators and filters. Should be a good time: )
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

monokit

Post by monokit » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:38 pm

Preordered a Sub Phatty. :mrgreen:

filtered

Post by filtered » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:28 am

gigging is getting heavy with The Carvers, and the Voyager OS needs a polyphonic buddy! so....

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Congrats! :) I play one as well -did you choose the 61, 73 or HP version?

The board is really comfortable to take for gigs -weighs half your Voyager OS!- and it has many things you'd need in a "hey mate, do you that sound, ya know, the one from the song XXXX…" situation.

As you play the real thing , I'm very interested in how you compare the NE3 to your Wurly. In terms of… well, you tell me.

filtered

Post by filtered » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:33 pm

Congrats! I play one as well -did you choose the 61, 73 or HP version?

The board is really comfortable to take for gigs -weighs half your Voyager OS!- and it has many things you'd need in a "hey mate, do you that sound, ya know, the one from the song XXXX…" situation.

As you play the real thing , I'm very interested in how you compare the NE3 to your Wurly. In terms of… well, you tell me.
Due to my need to stand, and the tight quarters of some of our stages (especially in Asheville!), I went with a 61-
I won't be subbing out the Moog, but double-tiering it WITH the Moog, so I can keep the spacey songs spacey, and we have alot of folks (again, especially in Asheville, haha!) that come out FOR the Moog-
I know what you're saying, re the Wurly- I won't be crushed if it doesn't measure up to the real thing, as I'll be doing more organ stuff with the Electro, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised with its Wurly! I'll post a compare/contrast vid perhaps-
I'm excited about the Rhodes- I've played a real Mark I, and after 10 minutes, my fingers were about to fall off from the action! It'll be nice to get close to that sound without the weight and tendinitis!

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:11 pm

Just got these in the mail a few days ago.
This is a pair of Edcor 10K audio transformers rated at 20-20,000 Hz , for use in a ring modulator circuit for my Moog. The circuit is an old and simple one using four matched germanium diodes in a ring, two transformers, and three 1/4" jacks. After going through about 30 diodes to find a good match, I clipped together the circuit to test it out.
You wouldn't think such a simple circuit would sound amazing, but this one does. The Moog 901's are somewhat temperamental in how they react to outside devices, and usually there isn't anything I have come across that could improve or enhance the tone. But this plays well with the 1.2V P-P Moog oscillators. The sound is quite nice. With two 901's beating against each other, it sounds like there is some kind of PWM going on. More than just two detuned oscillators. Looking at a scope the waveforms are dancing.
Here is a small MP3 of the ring modulator. At 49 seconds it hits a real sweet spot.
Moog 901 oscillators ring modulated together MP3 3MEG download
Anyone interested in the circuit look up Real Ring Modulator for the schematic.

EDIT: I should note that sample is all ring mod output. I'm adjusting the second 901 frequency to different intervals to get the more bell like tones. Sounds almost Mini like when the oscillators are tuned close. Both oscillators are tracking together.
Last edited by CZ Rider on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:35 pm

CZ Rider wrote:...
Anyone interested in the circuit look up Real Ring Modulator for the schematic.
Indeed! Info on the construction of this circuit is found here:

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgsrr.html

- Greg