VST Editor allow for infinite presets?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
zac darmon

VST Editor allow for infinite presets?

Post by zac darmon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:55 pm

does the vat editor allow you to save as many presets on your computer as you want?

Voltor07

Re: VST Editor allow for infinite presets?

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:39 pm

Not sure. I know I have 300+ presets on my computer. I use Sysex Librarian for Mac. I imagine the VST is much more user friendly, and has similar capabilities, along with a slew of useful features on top of patch storage. :)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

acatcalledanarchy

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:05 pm

I would wait until they release a working version:

http://rekonaudio.com/index.php?page=sh ... &Itemid=29

I made the mistake of buying the previous version, still waiting for this to be released. Best of luck.
A Cat Called Anarchy

Voyager Select Series Whitewash Electric Blue, Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:17 pm

I had the editor before i sold my voyager, and while it was cool, that many presets is kinda absurd. I went through hundreds of them, and literally only liked 5 or 6. And those I would have to tweak to my liking. The problem is, the presets become of sort of crutch, and take away from an intuitive approach. The Voyager is kind of a vast instrument though, and it takes a while to get to where you can hear the patch before you dial it up. That is the reason I went with the model D over the Voyager. Some people say the model D is simple or boring, but it really has a lot more potential than you might think. I have had it for 3 years, and still am learning how all the knobs/switches react to each other at different settings. Sometimes its subtle, but still noticeable. And all you have to do is add one moogerfooger, and already you multiply exponentially the possibilities. So to just rely on presets is limiting in my opinion.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:27 pm

The new generation, it seems, is all about midifying everything, endlessly browsing thousands of sounds through pull down menus, using VST's that barely work and music creation in small child windows with dozens of scroll bars. It's a matter of opinion, to each his own. I prefer playing keys and turning knobs on an Old School.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:43 pm

Portamental wrote:The new generation, it seems, is all about midifying everything, endlessly browsing thousands of sounds through pull down menus, using VST's that barely work and music creation in small child windows with dozens of scroll bars. It's a matter of opinion, to each his own. I prefer playing keys and turning knobs on an Old School.
I prefer knob tweaking over pull down menus any day. I just like storing lots of patches on my computer. I have some really cool ones from Knob Tweak that I put in my Phatty, only to change and re-name them. Everytime I create a patch, I put in on my Mac so if I want that same sound again, I just re-upload it. That way, I can keep track of sounds, some of which are best used with the phaser and/or ringmod and/or CP-251. :) Call me anal retentive.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:54 pm

I think I would have kept the voyager if it was an old school. There was something about the lcd screen that just didn't feel right to me. I did get some good ideas from the presets that I was able to translate to the model D, which was cool. But most of the presets were crap. The one thing I miss the most is the oscillator sync. Can you get the same effect from a freqbox and model D?

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:00 pm

To the OP: well it's not the VST that stores your presets like a hardware synth does. You just keep on storing presets until your computer runs out of space - which given the small size of preset files will probably mean you get bored of thousands of presets before your computer gets full.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

zac darmon

Post by zac darmon » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:00 pm

the reason I want so many presets available is because i want to always be able to go back and edit a track that i'm working on. I make at least 4 or 5 sounds for each track, so it will add up quickly. I'm a EDM producer and my moog is the only analog I got so I'm using it for just about every sound in my songs.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:39 pm

zac :

Your desire or need to store as many presets as you want to is entirely legitimate. I am just an old school guy who likes knobs and avoids combining CPU's with musical instruments. It's a new world and it belongs to you.