Synth repairs EML/Moog related.

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Steve

Synth repairs EML/Moog related.

Post by Steve » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:07 pm

Hello - Not directly Moog related but I visit this forum a few times a day and the people here seem to be very helpful and nice.
Lately I've been thinking a lot about purchasing this: http://pittsburghmodular.com/foundation/ to trigger from my AE Voyager. It looks like they would play well together and the price is pretty decent. But it got me thinking about an old EML 101 that I have stored away. The EML is a bit of a mess. I'm the original owner but I used it as my main touring synth back in my glorious punk rock days in the mid 1970's. All functions are operational but there's real bad tuning drifts and the keyboard doesn't track well. It would be in need of a good cleaning as well. Not sure yet how I would inter-face the EML with the Voyager but there must be a way to CV out of the moog into the EML's oscillators.
Do you think the $ would be better spent in re-calibrating the EML or maybe just go with the Pittsburgh Mod?
Any recommendations on analog synth repair people?
Any thoughts would be helpful thanks.
Steve
https://www.reverbnation.com/raisedbymachines
May peace be your guide

dan thacker

Re: Synth repairs EML/Moog related.

Post by dan thacker » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:24 pm

How much is the Pittsburgh? How much would the EML cost to restore?
If portability is important, I'd go with the Pittsburgh,[which is incidentally gorgeous.]
Damn,it's downright amazing to look at.I think this calls for the time honoured practice of drafting the good old "pros and cons" list.
Good luck and post your decision.If you go for the Pittsburgh,I'd love to hear about it.By the way Steve,thanks for bringing to my attention ANOTHER piece of delicious gear!!

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:36 pm

The Pittsburgh Mod - is $1,695. http://pittsburghmodular.com/foundation/
I live close to where these are made here in Pittsburgh. I'm going to set up a demo meet up with them in about a week to check this beautiful instrument out. I'll try to make a little movie with my phone of the visit.
I'm guessing the the EML 101 will be in the same $ ballpark to bring up to spec. (without midi).
Steve
May peace be your guide

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:09 pm

That's a good price, I want one too!! Darn you,Steve!!
I look forward to your movie,good luck!

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:02 am

Looks great. The delay sounds good but Im not into euroracks unfortunately.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

nicholas d. kent

Post by nicholas d. kent » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:56 am

Everyone I've talked to loves the Pittsburgh modules though I'm pretty sure the setup you are looking at hasn't shipped yet. I have their delay myself.

I have an EML 101. I don't recall mine ever drifting so I can't advise there. Tracking is one of those things that's either a design flaw or a feature. There is a course and fine knob controlling the notes per octave which was I'm sure aimed at experimental composers. What I've found works is you keep turning it around 12 notes per octave until you can can play 2 keys an octave apart and they sound correct. It's a little tricky because you have to keep re-hitting the keys to hear it change and you probably aren't hearing the correct pitch for the note you are playing. Once you hear octaves you can adjust the oscillator tuning (which you probably should leave alone during the notes per octave adjustment).

As for interfacing it's not standard though quite possible with some work. I would guess the best though expensive option is to have a tech design and install a couple modifications preferably reversible. One could have a hardwired 12 notes to the octave setting. One would also do well to have a dedicated 1.0 CV and gate input in my opinion. There are often slight differences in different units as to the exact connections that are built in. I wouldn't be surprised if some units were easier to interface than others. Also there is the duophony which if you want to address it externally you likely have a more complicated problem to solve. Anyway to sum it up it's quite possible but not super easy to interface with other gear.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:14 pm

nicholas thanks for the info. much appreciated. The Pittsburgh Modular foundation hasn't shipped yet. Looking forward to checking this out. I plugged in the EML and have it set up next to the voyager. Loving the 4 EML oscillators. Wish the filters were better. Having trouble with the keyboard tracking. But still the EML and the Moog together make for a sonic texture that is almost sentient.
May peace be your guide

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:15 pm

The 101 was a pretty versatile synth, lots of modulation options.. The osc’s were fairly stable, would drift now and then. The 12 oct/scale knob could get you in trouble. Cool option if you were into alternate tuning . The trimmer for pitch rate and scale are rotary and a little touchy .
What are the odds there are three 101 owners on the list :) ?

You should be able to control the 101 from the Voyager. You’ll need at minimum the VX 351. From Keyboard out take pitch an plug it into osc control in ( down arrow) turn the osc 4/ext knob counter clock wise. Take the gate out on the 351 to envelop trigger in on the 101. Set osc 2 to kb kb2/mix, osc 3 to kb2/mix osc 4 to cm3. Scaling may be off, so you might need to adjust the pitch cv with the CP 251.

The 101 is a worth while synth to keep around, has a character all of it’s own Can sound very warm or shred glass at 20 feet. Variable wave form on osc 2,3 and 4, variable filer from Low Pass to High pass. I first used one back in the mid 70's, it was what I cut my teeth on. For what ever reaso I haven’t fired mine up lately. But I’ll never get rid of it . :)

Double check the corse knob, if it is dirty you may not get accurate tracking. Make sure it is fully clock wise. Also check the keyboard connector cable, it can get flaky. It may need a good calibration. Kevin has the manual on his website. The osc are pretty easy to do, the filter and other functions are a bit tricky from what I’ve read.

Steve

Post by Steve » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks Brian..
I'm going to have to get the VX 351. Glad it's still available. Truly appreciate your detailed description on how to do this. Connecting the Voyager with the EML 101 is very very exciting to me. I love the 101 and it will be a super expansion to the Voyager. - Nice and beautiful!
May peace be your guide

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:40 am

You're welcome. Keep in mind the the scaling on the EML is different than the Voyager so you may have some problems getting things " lined up" .

atkbg

Post by atkbg » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:54 am

Brian G wrote:
What are the odds there are three 101 owners on the list :) ?
Make that 4!
I was using the MP201 to control my 101. You can set the volts/octave to 1.2. (I haven't done this for a bit. Maybe tonight's the night.)

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:15 am

:) Okay four.

Forgot all about the MP201 and I have one sitting in the studio :).

Steve

Post by Steve » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:21 pm

I really loving the EML 101. It's like a elder statesman of synths :D
I have it set up next to the voyager with a Korg Radias behind me. Nice visual. Unfortunately the MP201 is no longer available. The VX 351 is on my short list as I'm hoping that I can by-pass the EML's keyboard and control the instrument from the moog.
May peace be your guide

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:14 pm

You'll have fun. The volt per octave is different ( I'm pretty sure) on the EML, you'll need to up the votgae comingout of the Voyager. I'd put the CP251 on the wish list in additon to the VX. Both will come in handy.

have you downloaded the EML Manual ?