Macbeth MicroMac

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
HB3

Re: Macbeth MicroMac

Post by HB3 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:20 pm

Oh yeah...Macbeth is amazing.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:00 pm

drogoff wrote:
soundxplorer wrote:
EMwhite wrote:Now can somebody explain the combination lock control and a not I saw somewhere about a pot that takes multiple full revolutions to reach the full range?
Those are 10-turn pots, meaning that they spin around completely 10 times before hitting the bottom or top range.
The idea is that this makes fine-tuning easier because turning the knob is more precise.
I'm sure some people prefer them, but I'm not really a fan. I like to be able to grab the Frequency knob and detune it wildly over several octaves at a time, like on the Pro-One..
I think the best of both worlds was the concentric, geared knobs on the Oberheim SEM for VCO pitch. The outer knob let you sweep the whole audio spectrum while the inner gave fine control. I was pretty disappointed that that was about the only real change on the new SEMs. I guess Tom couldn't find those knobs anymore. Too bad :(
I think they were also problematic (the concentric knobs). The current arrangement on the Tom Oberheim stuff is pretty good; FreqBox does the same (uses the ENV amount for fine tuning in OSC mode iirc).
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

drogoff

Post by drogoff » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:33 pm

EMwhite wrote:
drogoff wrote: I think the best of both worlds was the concentric, geared knobs on the Oberheim SEM for VCO pitch. The outer knob let you sweep the whole audio spectrum while the inner gave fine control. I was pretty disappointed that that was about the only real change on the new SEMs. I guess Tom couldn't find those knobs anymore. Too bad :(
I think they were also problematic (the concentric knobs).
How so? I've owned and repaired many SEMs / FVSs and never saw a problem with them.

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks stiiiiive,just a little synth envy going on,guys with their model d's and modulars.I still love my darlin'

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:38 pm

re: SEM VCO Freq knobs, they were not problematic or poor design from a failure perspective, it's just that Tom (apparently) didn't like them which is why he opted to go with two controls per VCO. At least that's what he said at the Red Bull lecture he did in Boston in 2009.

I think his gripe was that if you "bump them" they go out of tune.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

drogoff

Post by drogoff » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:51 am

EMwhite wrote:re: SEM VCO Freq knobs, they were not problematic or poor design from a failure perspective, it's just that Tom (apparently) didn't like them which is why he opted to go with two controls per VCO. At least that's what he said at the Red Bull lecture he did in Boston in 2009.
I guess. I thought they were great. And, I just happened across a picture of my first synth from back in high school ('78?). It's a stand-alone SEM connected to a keyboard I built. Loved that thing!

drogoff

Post by drogoff » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:54 am

drogoff wrote:
EMwhite wrote:re: SEM VCO Freq knobs, they were not problematic or poor design from a failure perspective, it's just that Tom (apparently) didn't like them which is why he opted to go with two controls per VCO. At least that's what he said at the Red Bull lecture he did in Boston in 2009.
I guess. I thought they were great. And, I just happened across a picture of my first synth from back in high school ('78?). It's a stand-alone SEM connected to a keyboard I built. Loved that thing!
I can't explain the Elmer's glue...

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:30 pm

I would love to get the Micromac.
The build quality of Macbeth is tops. I own his Moroco filter. ( number 6 of 20)
The micromac would fit in good here.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).