Doepfer Maq 16/3 Sequencer... can I get a show of hands...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
narapo

Re: Doepfer Maq 16/3 Sequencer... can I get a show of hands.

Post by narapo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:03 am

Thanks, it gives me hope I will get an answer soon, so I can get on that 3rd batch production run

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:19 am

Good news bad news.

Received a lovely and comprehensive note from Barbara at Sequentix that answered ALL of my questions along with an apology for the delay.

The bad news is that it's near 2x more expensive than I thought it would be. With CV option, the tally is over $2,100 USD not including shipping or import tariff (which I believe is between 5-6%).

And yes (Donnie) run 2 is gone so looking at May.

Back to the drawing board for me. Being able to generate midi cc's is very important to me and only MAQ seems to have an unrestricted function for this (0..127).

Others have SOME functionality such as Urzwerg Pro which will gladly control a small handful of Kraftzwerg parameters (LFO speed, pulse width, filter cutoff) or DarkTime which can alter velocity byte of Note on messages, etc.

But MAQ is missing an elegant/intuitive way to alter steps, direction, etc for live playing.

More to come I suppose. (I am hopeful that this thread is useful for others considering the field of options)
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:36 am

I am not pushing the Step 64, but so you know...

In mode 1 , sequencing into midi

Knob 1 : pitch
Knob 2 : velocity
Knob 3 : a CC of your choice (limited in the 0-127 range, 128 for none)
Knob 4 : a 0-127 value for the CC set by knob 3

You can also sequence CV's and Midi at the same time, but I suppose other similar units do it too.

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:56 pm

EMwhite wrote:But MAQ is missing an elegant/intuitive way to alter steps, direction, etc for live playing.
Well actually the MAQ is quite easy to play live, the only thing I find a bit annoying is to mute a step live, but changing first/last steps, direction, is a piece of cake!
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:27 pm

I have used/sold a Step64, I would say that the good side is it packs a lot of function into a very small space.

The bad side is it packs a lot of functions into a very small space, in terms of controls and display.

I would suggest downloading the manual, see how the control work. I found it a bit confusing to work with, but maybe just me, i like more knobs.
Stepping through sequences live yes, tweaking stuff on the fly not so much.

I am likewise curious about the MAQ units, and other ones. Has anyone experience with the Analog Solutions Oberkorn?

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:37 pm

cliffman wrote:I have used/sold a Step64, I would say that the good side is it packs a lot of function into a very small space.
The bad side is it packs a lot of functions into a very small space, in terms of controls and display.
True and true. Amen! to that.

The one thing I don't like about the Step 64 is how you have to power it off, then on while pressing a button to change mode or numerous other features.