Moog Model 15 modular/Club Of The Knobs vs. Synthesizers.com

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
winchavez

Re: Moog Model 15 modular/Club Of The Knobs vs. Synthesizers

Post by winchavez » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:47 pm

Elhardt wrote:
winchavez wrote: Also, I'm interested in a Moog format portable modular but I'd be interested in a portable system that would hold at least 3 rows of modules, and the Synthesizers.com Portable-22 system holds 2 rows of modules only and they do not have a case that would hold 3 rows of modules.
What difference does it make how many rows? The Synthesizers.com cabinet may only be 2 rows, but it's wider, so yet can fit more modules per row than the COTK's cabinet. Or do what I did and build your own cabinet.

-Elhardt
It makes a difference cause everyone has different tastes. Some people like the way things look and appeal to THEM and style/look is important and not everyone is the same.

@dvaid/dml, thanks for your comment!

Elhardt

Post by Elhardt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:12 am

winchavez wrote: It makes a difference cause everyone has different tastes. Some people like the way things look and appeal to THEM and style/look is important and not everyone is the same.
@dvaid/dml, thanks for your comment!
Well that seems a lot less important than the synth itself, its price, and the sounds it makes. But the Moog has a nice aspect ratio because of the half size modules at the bottom. If they were full height, it would look way to tall and stretched out, so you'd have to compensate with a case wider than the Moog case and thus a bigger overall system with more modules and end up being less portable than the two options you were looking at. Maybe that's what you want, but if not, COTK is the only option.

winchavez

Post by winchavez » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:36 am

I think this looks perfectly fine: http://www.synthesizers.com/rack24.html

So I don't really know what you mean.

By the way, if .COM offered that case I'd probably do that, again that's just my taste, doesn't mean I don't care about the sound, but they don't offer it and I myself don't have the resources to build my own case.

COTK its gonna be. I like the sound better anyway than .COM from what I've heard and I prefer something more "esoteric" anyway.

Elhardt

Post by Elhardt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:14 am

winchavez wrote:I think this looks perfectly fine: http://www.synthesizers.com/rack24.html
So I don't really know what you mean.
Well that doesn't look as far off as I would have thought, but it's also probably because beyond the 8 module width there are the rack mount brackets widening up the width beyond the normal Moog width and helping to keep a nice looking rectangular shape.

I built my own cases for my MOTM synth and also to be compatible with Synthesizers.com modules. 12 1U size MOTM modules equal 10 1U size Synthesizers.com modules and so that's what I made the width of my cases. Doing that along with the added height needed for an angled bottom helped me keep a decent looking Moog-like aspect ratio for a 3 row case. One of them is pictured below.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/elhardt_motmcase.jpg

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:17 am

COTK once sent me a small modular to evaluate and it was pretty bad.
Modules that couldn't have ever worked because part were soldered in backwards, most modules flopping around in pieces with screws in the bottom of the box, poor soldering, etc.

But I don't think they could still be assembling them to this poor quality and still be in business.
The modular sent to me was very early and I don't think they yet had enough experience to know how much to torque screws, that they needed lockwashers, testing before shipping was necessary, etc.

But they sent me the modular for my opinion and I was honest in my reply.
They never spoke to me again.
But they also walked away with apparently enough valuable advice that they also refused me to send it back to them afterward.
I guess they thought it was an even deal.

Bottom line: I'm sure they're made better now, but they were nothing like a real Moog inside circuitry-wise.
In other words, you'll probably get a better quality synth than I did, but it's still no Moog (not that this may make a difference to anyone tho.)

I would also like to add that their phase shifter was one of the nicest sounding modules I've ever heard, but their -48/dB filter didn't impress me as much as I had hoped.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

winchavez

Post by winchavez » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:37 pm

@elhardt, very, very nice. I like the ergonomic touch you made to the case.

@kevin lightner, really interesting. thanks for that comment.

I do bet that their modules are made better now though and sound better, too. the demos/videos around sound absolutely beautiful and they look absolutely beautiful, too. I would just love one. I'm over the euro-rack decision. Yeah they're small, portable, sound good, blah blah blah, but its true you just cant beat the feel of a large format system and the build quality.

I just love this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAVL2F09AUE

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi everyone! 8)

Just FYI, don't forget to consider Mos-Lab:
http://www.mos-lab.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKA5LI9yyyo

And while Moon Modular has no audio modules (no VCOs, VCFs, VCAs, effects, etc) all of their CV/Gate/Trigger/Convert modes are great and easy to obtain.
http://www.moonmodular.com/
Check out thier new catalog, they are now making the half hight CP modules so you have a new option for your old Moog cabs. Also, they are making custom modules available.
http://www.lunar-experience.com/DOWN/MoonCat2012.pdf
John L Rice
MiniMoog, MinitMoog, MG-1, Sub Phatty, 5U modulars, Eurorack modulars

panorama1003

Post by panorama1003 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:08 pm

@johnlrice,

Mos-Lab is AWESOME but is pretty expensive, I believe. For around the same price of one of their System 16A or System 16B you can buy a COTK system with the additional half-sized control modules on the first row, included. Kind of a more bang for your buck kind of thing when it comes to "Moog" style modular synths I think.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:18 pm

panorama1003 wrote:@johnlrice,

Mos-Lab is AWESOME but is pretty expensive, I believe. For around the same price of one of their System 16A or System 16B you can buy a COTK system with the additional half-sized control modules on the first row, included. Kind of a more bang for your buck kind of thing when it comes to "Moog" style modular synths I think.
Hi!

I do tend to prefer COTK over Mos-Lab:
parallel to panel PCBs allows for shallower cases
enclosed module backs
can order with +-15 DotCom power header
much wider range of modules offered, many unique and quite interesting

That said, I think their prices are very similar, with Mos-Lab being slightly less expensive (comparisons in Euros and I don't know how current Mos-Lab's prices are)

COTK :
902 VCA 180
904A VCF 215
921B VCO 225

Mos-Lab :
902 VCA 180
904A VCF 190
921B VCO 200

Comparing the COTK model 15 @ 3000 euro to the Mos-Lab system 16A @ 2490 euro is a little difficult and at first you might think the Mos-Lab one is a lot less expensive but the COTK package has a lot more functionality due to the CP row at the bottom that the Mos-Lab system doesn't have.

So, to me, if your two choices are COTK and Mos-Lab, cost wouldn't be a deciding factor.
John L Rice
MiniMoog, MinitMoog, MG-1, Sub Phatty, 5U modulars, Eurorack modulars

panorama1003

Post by panorama1003 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:57 pm

@johnlrice,

I see what you are saying! thanks for that comment. I don't know what it is about the Moog modular, even though it is quite old, they just still look so beautiful, I love the way they look.

You are right. If the MOS-LAB system does cost that much, it is less expensive, but you have less flexibility with it than you do with the COTK system.

I can't wait to obtain one. I'm selling quite a bit of nice gear, limiting my current sound palette quite a bit, just to buy a modular. I've thought about it but I decided and unfortunately I'm not in a position where I can just simply "save up" for one without having to sell other gear. I'll be losing quite a bit but gaining something I really love; modular synthesizers.

I have had patchable/semi-modular synthesizers before, even a pretty decent DIY made system, that I've all sold for more professional equipment, so it will be nice to finally have a solid, professional system. Can't wait.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:19 pm

Here's are photos of the insides of two COTK modules....

http://www.synthfool.com/cotk921.jpg

http://www.synthfool.com/cotk904a.jpg
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

panorama1003

Post by panorama1003 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:56 pm

@ kevin lightner,

Looks pretty good to me

:|

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:43 am

panorama1003 wrote:@ kevin lightner,

Looks pretty good to me

:|
Not really. On the 921, there are several resistors not properly soldered to the board. The 904 is just as bad, if not worse, because the two resistors in parallel, suposedly attached to each other (not a big deal; I do the same with cpacitors and resistors if I don't have the proper value and need a quick fix) except they aren't soldered together...just crimped. Pretty shoddy, IMHO.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

MC

Post by MC » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:23 am

Holy smoke is that ever shoddy solder work. I spotted several pads with no solder fillets AT ALL.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:10 am

MC wrote:Holy smoke is that ever shoddy solder work. I spotted several pads with no solder fillets AT ALL.
Exactly what I was referring to. :shock: Now that I'm home on my Mac, I can also see some black spots indicating poor solder joints. In time, those joints will fail.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.