monophonic Farfisa

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
moogslob

monophonic Farfisa

Post by moogslob » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:03 pm

So I've been drafted into a 60s-esque garage rock combo, half covers, half originals- Our debut show is later this month- Up until last night, I had been playing my beat up (2 broken keys, side panel gone, prog screen dead) Korg MS2000 on its "British organ" patch (when I power it up, I blindly scroll to where I remembered it to be :roll: )- For rehearsal last night, I decided to swap it out for my Voyager OS- Haha! I tuned Osc 3 to a 5th for "chords", and would flick it off on solos- It definitely changed the character of the songs, but I think in a good way; sort of like the Human League meets the Cramps :lol: The funniest thing is the rest of the band kept calling it an organ, and changed a few of the songs to add "organ" solo breaks :lol:
Anyway, even if the band doesn't care, at least I would like to get a bit more of a Farfisa type sound happening- before I fire up the laboratory and start tweaking, does anyone have any suggestions? I know my LP had a surprisingly decent "organ" patch, but of course, it being a factory preset, I don't know how it was achieved...
thanks yall
Voyager Old School, Etherwave Theremin, Wurlitzer 200A, MS2000, Gretsch Anni, dinged up surfboard x 2

http://www.moped10.com

nathanscribe

Re: monophonic Farfisa

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:48 pm

I made a pretty decent organ patch on my Juno 60 that used the pulse wave, sub osc (so 1 oct down, if you're not familiar with the 60) and a resonant, tuned filter to add the right harmonic content - if you set the filter to maximum (or near max) resonance, and tune it so the peak is a fifth, or an oct+fifth, above the note you're playing, and add a touch of distortion, you might be able to get something similar on the Moog. Envelopes should be as flat as pancakes and wide open on the sustain, and you can add a touch of vibrato, but so you might want to sweep the filter cutoff in the same way so as to move the filter peak along with the pitch played.

moogslob

Post by moogslob » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:39 pm

thanks!
so here's what I've got: all 3 on pulse, OSC 2 set up an octave and tuned to a 5th, filter wide open, resonance at 60%, envelopes flat with sustain wide open and 0 release- I also added a little bit of noise and Y-cabled the effects insert back into the external input jack (and cranked it up) for dirt, and sent pitch vibrato to aftertouch- hitting the Osc sync switch for leads sounds good to eliminate the 5th without losing meat-
sounds great here at home on my PA- I can't wait to try it through my old nasty Fender twin with the rest of the band blaring! hopefully it won't be too trebly, but I can always kill the brightness switch on the amp...
thanks for the suggestions, and if anyone else has tried something like this, I'm all ears!
Voyager Old School, Etherwave Theremin, Wurlitzer 200A, MS2000, Gretsch Anni, dinged up surfboard x 2

moogslob

Post by moogslob » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:32 am

Well I tried it out with the band, and WOW! Spot on!!
I know some may e-smirk and say "if you want a Farfisa sound, why not get a Farfisa"- Well, I've used a Farfisa before in a similar setup, and it was hard to get it to cut through the loudness of the rest of the band without being shrill- And even then, different registers would either be painfully loud or lost in the mix- The MS2000 was OK, but would still get washed out by those dang guitars- The Moog? Ha! Even cloaked by the filter on the mellower tunes, every note and nuance was THERE- The only problem I had was my occasional clams were not lost- haha-

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:02 pm

I have a Farfisa. I tried to fix it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think the 400+ caps need replacing. DO NOT get a Farfisa, unless it has been completely overhauled, unless you plan on using it as a workbench. Plus, they're heavy. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

moogslob

Post by moogslob » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:08 pm

haha! yeah, the one I used for a bit wasn't mine- another friend of mine recently got one via Ebay that she had to get overhauled- our local synth/guitar/anything tech spent 3 months on it, finally finished it, and told her, "spread the word, 'I WON'T work on Farfisas!'" :lol:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:10 pm

I love working on mine...it makes a great soldering station. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:37 pm

If you truly sound like the Cramps meets Human League,I'll buy your music!
R.I.P. Lux Interior.

moogslob

Post by moogslob » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:13 am

If you truly sound like the Cramps meets Human League,I'll buy your music!
we'll see how it translates in recording, but it does sound pretty wild live! although, since my magic patch, it sounds a bit more 60s vs 80s- maybe I'll sneak it a bit of glide to at least bring it more toward the 70s :mrgreen:

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:21 am

I'm glad to hear someone's still playin' the devil's music!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:21 am

dan thacker wrote:I'm glad to hear someone's still playin' the devil's music!
Other one over here :)
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:49 pm

I'm working on it.It's gonna be a while until the noise I make could be considered music!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:30 am

Yeah, this fists my other projects: music that even the devil is not very sure to plainly understand ;)