Order your Minitaur now!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
hieronymous

Re: Order your Minitaur now!

Post by hieronymous » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:44 pm

I've got the T3, but I'm pretty psyched about this - hope to get one at some point. I'm guessing you could play it with the Roland PK-5 foot pedals, which I already own - bought them to control my Little Phatty before the Taurus came out.

It's funny how different the reaction is here compared to other synth sites - a lot of people out there just don't get it. Not to mention some of the reactions on the Moog facebook page to the Geddy Lee video - combine Taurus haters with Rush haters and you get some pretty miserable people...

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:46 pm

hieronymous wrote:Combine Taurus haters with Rush haters
and you get some pretty miserable people...
TauRush Haters? :wink:
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:59 pm

I am sure it will be Hz/volt CV in.

Also, if poly is your thing, there are midi boxes made that will send out each voice on a different midi channel.

I love taurus bass and I am a huge rush hater.

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:05 pm

Sir Nose wrote:I love taurus bass and I am a huge rush hater.
Ah, then you don't fit into my venn diagram of Taurush haters! (thanks _DemonDan_!)

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:16 pm

I used to love Rush, during their best years, but I've stopped after their Grace Under Pressure album. But I still love the sound of a Taurus even today.

I've watched the first part of the Minitaur infomercial with Geddy Lee on the Moog Music Site. It sounded soooo fake, especially when he was asked the question; "what should the next Moog Music instrument be?" and he answered "that's a tough one...maybe this ?" pointing to the Minitaur. It's pitiful to see such an accomplished artist sink so low.

Wall to wall bull.

That Minitaur sounds like a great product on it's own, and it doesn't need to be endorsed (contractually) by an artist.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:21 pm

Put me down for a pair of Moog Taurus slippers and a huge baby onesy.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:29 pm

thealien666 wrote:I've watched the first part of the Minitaur infomercial with Geddy Lee on the Moog Music Site. It sounded soooo fake, especially when he was asked the question; "what should the next Moog Music instrument be?" and he answered "that's a tough one...maybe this ?" pointing to the Minitaur. It's pitiful to see such an accomplished artist sink so low.

Wall to wall bull.

That Minitaur sounds like a great product on it's own, and it doesn't need to be endorsed (contractually) by an artist.
That's weird - I thought it was funny! I actually thought his reaction was genuine - Rush always talk about how geeky they are and I thought his sense of humor came through in the video. I thought he sounded very natural and relaxed - NOT slick and professional. It's Rashomon all over again - we can witness the "same" event and have completely different reactions.

Geddy was a huge influence on me, not just as a bassist but as a prog rock artist, so I enjoyed hearing him talk about how the Taurus affected his/their approach to music.

MC

Post by MC » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:39 pm

thealien666 wrote:I've watched the first part of the Minitaur infomercial with Geddy Lee on the Moog Music Site. It sounded soooo fake, especially when he was asked the question; "what should the next Moog Music instrument be?" and he answered "that's a tough one...maybe this ?" pointing to the Minitaur. It's pitiful to see such an accomplished artist sink so low.
Rush is one of my favorite bands but Geddy has diminished the role of keyboards since the 90s because they were overwhelming Alex's guitar. Alex was especially frustrated with keyboard-heavy Signals. Because of this, Geddy probably doesn't think much about new keyboards to worry about the next big thing.

Geddy doesn't even own any of the keyboards from those days, not even the T1 (he had to borrow them from the people he sold them to). All that stuff had been sampled and they trigger samples in concert these days. And his Oberheims "blew up" when the wrong line voltage was applied to them :shock:

I really liked the era where Rush got into Moogs and Oberheims. The keyboards weren't dominant/overwhelming and they intertwined logically with the rest of the instruments.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:01 pm

MC wrote:...I really liked the era where Rush got into Moogs and Oberheims. The keyboards weren't dominant/overwhelming and they intertwined logically with the rest of the instruments.
Well said. I agree wholeheartedly.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Nice! :D
Think I will have to try one of these out. Can see having two of these for some analog style Berlin School jams.
Kinda reminds me of the original Taurus tabletop though. Moog seems to avoid making reference to the Taurus 2, Quote "classic Taurus 1 and 3 bass and boom". The Taurus 2 still gets a different classic bass tone the Voyager and Phatty don't quite have. :wink:
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:34 pm

The VCF doesn't go very high in the demo video. It claims 20KHz...

And I'm not sure about the comments on 2 oscs going in and out of phase. Just adjust one to half the amplitude of the other and the difference is only 3db. Is there anything else going on to avoid complete out of phase? Must be a 'feature' for guitars who turn everything up to 11.

Sure is cute!
B
I've stopped talking now.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:50 pm

LivePsy wrote:The VCF doesn't go very high in the demo video.
It claims 20KHz...
Yeah, that was one of the things I didn't notice until
after I saw the finished video.

I had my Etherwave Plus' CV Out going into the Filter
CV In and it was biasing the Cutoff Frequency.
"Doh!" :oops:

This shorter video doesn't have any of the Etherwave
Plus or CP-251 CV examples that I did.

You definitely can hear the filter's full range on the
Introducing Minitaur video though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JKETTVhBG4

While I'm doing the mea culpas, I also said there was
"no resonance" at 2:02 when it was actually up some.

It got left there from the previous "long version" take
I did right before it and I forgot to reset it to zero. :roll:
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:58 pm

LivePsy wrote: And I'm not sure about the comments on 2 oscs going in and out of phase. [...] Is there anything else going on to avoid complete out of phase?
I always thought this was a feature of the Taurus I/Taurus 3 circuit design - no phasing of the oscillators because they work linear V/Hz. But it may be something else, there are so many claims in the interwebz that I don't know what to believe anymore.

I'd like to hear just the square waves as I'm intrigued to hear what a Taurus pedal sound would be like if it wasn't limited to just saws. With the square waves, audio input and Minimoog-style ADSR envelopes I may just get this even though I own a Taurus 3 (or perhaps that should read: because I own a Taurus 3 :mrgreen: ).
Last edited by Mr Arkadin on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:07 pm

Mr Arkadin wrote:
LivePsy wrote: And I'm not sure about the comments on 2 oscs going in and out of phase. [...] Is there anything else going on to avoid complete out of phase?
This is a feature of the Taurus I/Taurus 3 circuit design - no phasing of the oscillators because they work linear V/Hz (I think that's why anyway, MC could explain it better).
You're possibly referring to linear frequency difference across the frequency range so that the beating is the same rate for all notes. On usual V/Oct osc the beat rate doubles per octave. I thought the feature the video is talking about reduces the amplitude dips you get with two identical osc waves free running.

Still intrigued...
I've stopped talking now.

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:11 pm

LivePsy wrote:You're possibly referring to linear frequency difference across the frequency range so that the beating is the same rate for all notes. On usual V/Oct osc the beat rate doubles per octave. I thought the feature the video is talking about reduces the amplitude dips you get with two identical osc waves free running.

Still intrigued...
:mrgreen: I changed my reply a bit while you were quoting me.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony