Order your Minitaur now!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
ARP

Re: Order your Minitaur now!

Post by ARP » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:20 am

Lazerface wrote:looks fantastic, cute little box of rumbles!
how does the Taurus osc and filter differ from the Phatty?
Moog Forum member MC, explained the difference in detail in a post in the Taurus Forum,
MC wote
"What separates the Taurus from the LP and most other monosynths is the feedback architecture of the filter. Like any tube guitar amp, the feedback architecture plays a large part in the "character" of the filter. This is why the Taurus sounds different from a minimoog from a rogue from a LP from a memorymoog from a voyager from a...

The Taurus filter has AC coupling between the VCF and VCA that happens to have an inherent bass boost. Due to the coupling being done at the feedback path, that creates some special interaction that gives the Taurus its voice. Boosting the bass EQ on your mixer does not get the same effect, it's sort of a dynamic bass boost.

Taurus also uses CA3080 OTAs which are NOT high fidelity components - they add some subtle distortion themselves, much like a tube. There's one in the filter feedback path and another used for the VCA. The Taurus is driven pretty hard in the filter. If you probe the output with a scope you can see the clipping of the ramp waveform. "

The original thread here: http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... =11&t=8228
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:01 am

LaxSlash1993 wrote:
joe_moog wrote:
EricK wrote:AMOS:
PLEASE INTEGRATE THIS WITH EASY POLYCHAINING LIKE THE SLIMS AND THIS WILL BE THE SHOT HEARD 'ROUND THE WORLD!
Given that it only has MIDI in, would this be possible? (I'm a MIDIdiot so I may be entirely off the mark here...)
Yes. Maybe. What you would need is a box that accepted a MIDI in from a keyboard, then had a number of MIDI outs for each "voice" that you would want. Then it would have to seperate each note to a different MIDI out.

Joe,
I honestly didn't consider that it doesn't have a LCD. The Midi Murf and Cluster Flux both have "operating systems" however that doesn't mean that it is even possible to get polyphony, but hell, you think that after the slim and with the need for polyphonics and Moog's history of modular compatibility or "Open Systems" you would think this feature would be a no brainer (but would likely drive up the cost).

1. I'll bet we find out that the panel controls are Midi Controllable like the 105m and 108m.
2. Are the CV inputs tuned to the same values as the Taurus? If so, they will not match the Voyager's output pitch (don't know about a phatty).
3. It doesn't appear to be the same synth engine as the Taurus, we'll see how it sounds!
4. It looks like a str8 up slave device.
5. Can't wait to see the full specs and dimensions.

I would really consider buying this if I hadn't already gotten excited about some HF radio equipment.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:11 am

In a nutshell... At that price, this thing is going to be a huge hit for Moog !!
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

omvibes

Post by omvibes » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:47 am

Sigh, no presets/ memories :( Come on Moog, this is 2011, not 1973. Without memories etc, this baby is totally impractical for live and band work, which surely is one of your main markets, right? Looks like I'll have to stick with my Creamware Minimax ....

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:04 am

omvibes wrote:Come on Moog, this is 2011,
no, it's not :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

moogslob

Post by moogslob » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:37 am

Without memories etc, this baby is totally impractical for live and band work,
cmon! I've used no memory synths for years live- The Voyager OS is my current one- it's a world of fun you should try some time! and I DO have specific sounds for parts, etc.-
and this is a bass synth! even easier! maybe you should get one and take a walk on the wild side! :mrgreen:
Voyager Old School, Etherwave Theremin, Wurlitzer 200A, MS2000, Gretsch Anni, dinged up surfboard x 2

http://www.moped10.com

zorbas

Post by zorbas » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:47 am

thealien666 wrote:
zorbas wrote:Question...what would you send to the audio in/outs on this thing? Am I correct in understanding that you would need a MIDI device of some kind to actually play this thing?

Cheers!

Yes, you would play it with a MIDI keyboard controller or footboard controller, or MIDI sequencer, or finally an analog synth with CV and GATE out to play this thing.
SO (and sorry for the silly questions) how exactly does this work with an analog synth...pitch CV out from the synth to the pitch CV in here?
"Lately it occurs to me, what a long, strange trip it's been"

andrewh

Post by andrewh » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:58 am

I can't quite gauge the size of this thing- is it the same size as the cp 251? is it exactly half-rack size? I'd love to be able to rack 2 of these under my 2 cps... some people are complaining about this, but I don't think they realize its midi implementation, and that it (probably) is the long awaited (in certain circles) moogerfooger synth! if only it had a few cv outs...

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:46 am

The Taurus is pretty straight forward when it comes to sound design. It isn't that complicated at all. I think patch memory on a Taurus is unnecessary considering its limited sound sculpting and overall range.

You want deep insane bass, it's not hard to dial up. Everything is right there, nothing too complicated to program live. Really, it is a knob-per-function bass powerhouse.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:56 am

This thing looks AWESOME. If I can poly chain with my Phatty, I'm in. No doubt about it.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

MC

Post by MC » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:21 pm

Ain't that cute (before anyone asks, I knew zero about that box)
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

metron

Post by metron » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:03 pm

Theres a sample on youtube. Sounds like the T3!

Im torn on this because i already have one but it weighs 50 lbs and is hard to carry. 3 lbs would be better. :( But then i couldnt play taurus and electric bass at the same time right? Looks cool though. Knob per parameter is awesome. Honestly i dont care for the t3/phatty style UI.
MF102, MF104M, CP251, Minitaur

muksys

Post by muksys » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:37 pm

Presets are for the lazy musician! There are not a lot of features to the minitaur. Once you played with it for a couple of days, you could easly dial in the sound you need in seconds. And really, this is a bass synth. Not a whole lot of tweeking needs to be done to bass anyway. Looks like saving presets will be done the same ways as all of the great synth pioneers saved them; write it on a piece of paper or SysEx dump it into your brain!

As far as saving presets, I'm guessing that the MIDI IN (DIN/USB) is strictly an internal MIDI to CV converter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in this application, it will not send or receive SysEx strings. So, there is no way to send a preset to the unit.

The only bummer is in the LFO. It looks like its locked to only 1 wave (triangle more than likely). Would have been nice to have at least Tri, Sqare, Ramp. Oh well. Guess I have no choice now to get the CV OUT mod on my LP :)

muksys

Post by muksys » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:46 pm

Kenneth wrote:This thing looks AWESOME. If I can poly chain with my Phatty, I'm in. No doubt about it.
with some 3rd party software and some programming, i'm sure it will be able to polychain, but the sound engine of the LP and the Taurus (minitaur) are completely different not to mention 2 totally different synths. The only similarity would be the VCO's. The filters, LFO's, MOD source and destinations are comletely different. Additional Phattys is the only way to properly polychain a phatty. And I thought about the ability to polychain 2 or more minitaurs, but I don't think that would sound very good. Bass notes get extremely muddy and lost when more than one note is played. It would sound fine with higher pitched notes, but at that point, your getting into the LP/SP side of synths and would be better off just getting a couple of phatty's anyway.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:50 pm

muksys wrote:Guess I have no choice now to get the CV OUT mod on my LP :)
You won't regret getting it!!!

Little Phatty CV Out Demo Vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkm-2OuIOhI
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _