DX7

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
unfiltered37

DX7

Post by unfiltered37 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:26 am

I am a bonifide and proud analog snob, use all analog instruments, tape, effects, and only use converters for reverbs, even those I process with lots of analog gear, and the DX7 is the ugliest of all digital to me. I HATE the DX7 to death, have never heard anything good come out of one.
I still hate it, and do not like workstation keyboards, but honestly, Herbie can make anything sound amazing. The only DX7 I have ever liked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-whRFPz ... re=related

EMwhite

Re: DX7

Post by EMwhite » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:06 am

Thanks for that.

Wah Wah Watson is a Motown legend. And Darryl Jones has been holding it down for ages. But here is the original track w/Sax http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHpFW0dtW2M

But really, the DX7 Herb? Didn't know he went that way. (haha just kidding).

He could have done better and gotten a high five from me had he used an Oberheim Matrix 12 or 6 instead. But I don't think he needs a high five from me.

Question for unfiltered37... do the tape tracking lines at the bottom make it any more analog? : )
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:14 am

Those are simulated tape tracking lines. Purpose defeating technology. Digital was just "too clean" :lol:
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:57 am

The original track (not live) was on Man Child I believe, and did not have DX7 or anything digital. The vid I posted was obviously from the 80's or maybe (not likely) early 90's. So it was videotape. I have always hated digital keyboards, they irritate me to listen to them, even when great musicians like Keith Emerson play them. I had always thought the string synths that Herbie used in the 80's like on Rockit were analog, because they actually sound good, but turns out Herbie is just THAT good. I saw him play an Oasys I think in this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ASTMFN ... re=related

Even though the patch is cheesy, he makes it work very well. But I never thought I could actually not vomit when hearing a DX7. He still plays a Rhodes, and I am sure other vintage stuff, but he prefers digital synths. Probably one of the very few guys, to me at least, where the instrument doesn't even matter. I would like so much to see him bring back the ARP Odyssey/Rhodes/Clavinet setup which made his fusion sh*t famous. I bet in an alternate universe, ARP survived, and Alan Pearlman made an Odyssey for the 21st century.

Just found this:

http://www.namm.org/library/oral-histor ... r-pearlman

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:20 am

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed that as well.

Regarding the DX7, I have to say I like it. I've had one for three or four years now, and it's under-rated. There are things you can do with it that basically no-one in the 80s ever did. I play it in edit mode and adjust parameters as I play. Of course it doesn't exactly lend itself to tweaking, but it's possible.

Llanfairfechan, on my website (number 22 in the music player), was a piece done entirely with the DX7 in edit mode. Llanfairfechan is a place on the North Wales coast, and I wanted to get the glassy quality of shallow water in sunlight. For me, the DX7 got that in a way an analogue synth wouldn't.

I also use the TX81Z, which is also interesting in edit mode. On Late Afternoon Snow (number 37 in the player) I used the TX to get the relatively warm snowfall (compared with the more intense cold of the wind and the overall temperature) and an ARP Axxe provided the wind and the darkness - a slight reversal of conventional wisdom on `warm' and `cold' with digital and analogue, though of course the whole scene is pretty chilly.

BTW Gilli (number 31 in the player) is DX7 and Moog Voyager.
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:11 am

I hated the DX7 from the first moment I heard it all those years ago. However I learned recently that Brian Eno used mainly a DX7 on his brilliant Apollo album. It just goes to show once again, it's not the technology that counts, it's how you use it !
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:37 pm

^^^ i was just going to mention Eno and how much he uses his dx7.
i actually got to play a dx7 for the first time the other day. i really didnt know what to expect, but i was really impressed. of course if you stick to the cheesy presets you wont find anything useful but after a few minutes of tweaking some pretty incredible things started to happen

this is another dx track (i believe everything except the drums are dx7) http://youtu.be/jXzggiUalxo
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:38 pm

Mentioning tweaking the dx7 reminded me of a funny story about a similar keyboard, the casio CZ-3000, my first "real" synth. I got it from a college roommate who traded me for a jacket or something. Extremely cheesy, with a seemingly endless number of indecipherable parameters.
Anyway, it broke on me, so I took it apart, and couldn't get it working. So after a night of partying, we get back to my place, and my friend who was wasted wanted to fire it up. I told him not to even try plugging it in, it would electrocute him. Alcohol being a great catalyst for decision making, he pressed the dangling power button, and took his hand away quickly, but you could see a blue arc about 4 inches long from his finger to the button. Gave him quite a buzz if he didn't have one already, but I swear to god, it powered up for the first time in weeks, and worked perfectly until I threw it away a few years later.
I had the same synth over at my friends house, who were in a rock band. They called me one night and said "we have a special guest coming over tonight, you should come over." Intrigued, I went over there, and turns out the bass player/singer's girlfriend was friends with Robert Mercurio, the bass player from Galactic, which is a pretty big New Orleans funk band, for those who haven't heard of them. So after a few bong hits, they casually suggested to him that they had instruments setup in their band room and we should all jam. So I fired up the Casio, and like always, I blindly tweaked the synth, pressing buttons I had no idea the functionality of, until I got a sound I had never come close to, and never did. It was actually amazing sounding. So we start jamming, and all these wicked sounds are coming out of the thing. And when we stopped playing, all Robert had to say was, "whoa, those keys are bleeping awesome!" I was psyched, but the problem was, my friends had just invited me over as an afterthought, and they were hoping to impress him, so when he didn't say a word about their guitar/drumming, they were not happy with me for a long while after, and we ended up actually despising each other.

moogslob

Post by moogslob » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:02 am

great story unfiltered37! haha! when accidental musical magic ceases to exist for me, I'm duct-taping the garden hose to my 62 Ford Galaxie's tail, and taking a nap!
Voyager Old School, Etherwave Theremin, Wurlitzer 200A, MS2000, Gretsch Anni, dinged up surfboard x 2

http://www.moped10.com

MC

Post by MC » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:10 am

I loved the DX-7. Yamaha did a great service by making vintage analogs really affordable :D
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:59 pm

From a guy with more analog than digital here.
I have no problem with analog or digital gear. They are different. As a Guitar is different from a wood wind. They are both tools and instruments. It would probably amaze many analog snobs to know how much of the stuff they think is analog was actually done with digital instruments. (And Vise-versa.)
Yeah, listening to the same bands use the same factory presets song after song get's old and cliche very fast. {I think Boston never changed a tone control on any guitar, bass or amp or knew that drawbars on the organ moved.) But those who actually learned their instruments and wrote and played their own patches have made some phenomemal sounds.
Saying you HATE EVERYTHING from any DX7 is like saying you hate everything from a Slim Phatty. It only shows a closed mindedness that will only serve to constrain creativity and growth. But, to each their own, I guess.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:18 pm

I agree with you in part, but from my experience, I have seen that good analog is better than any digital. Yes, that's a blanket statement, and I have heard good digital that I liked, and even liked how Herbie used the DX7. But that's Herbie Hancock, not me. There are many factors at play here, not the least of which are budget, personal preference, and style. But if you ask anyone worth their salt if a digital clavinet or moog sample sounds as good as the real thing, they know for a fact its not. The model D, as well as the Neve 1073, LA-2A, Gates STA-level, are analog , (mostly) discrete designs, which in most people's opinion, is the very best electronic formula for audio quality.

I have heard emulations for all of these, but they without a doubt do not hold a candle to the real thing. The highest sample rate in the world is not a drop in the bucket compared to infinite resolution. I use a 1" 8 track tape machine, which is just about the highest quality multitrack analog you can get, other than the absurd 2" 8 track (called Ultimate Analog, which does not sound as good in my opinion because there is little to no saturation). I have not heard a digital format that can hang, and I don't think there ever will be, because no one will spend the R&D time and money to accurately duplicate analog tape, especially when 16 bit 44.1k is considered good enough. UAD has Studer and Ampex ATR plug ins that "sound like" tape, but the feeling is just not there, and the ear fatigue is way more. People are so used to listening to digital audio, that they don't understand how good music can sound and how long you can listen to it without getting tired. Ever wondered why you can sit though an entire loud concert and enjoy every minute, but get sick of music after listening to a couple MP3s? Sound is vibration, which not only affects the ears, but also every cell in your body. If they made fake meat out of Styrofoam that tasted exactly like the real thing, would we eat it? No because the body knows, even if the tongue doesn't.
Music to me is very similar to food, and I stay away from artificial ingredients that my body does not like, and even though a Twinkie can be satisfying if you are starving, you don't want to make it part of your diet if you can help it. I realize many can't help it, but if you can, avoid them.

Digital music is in most ways better than, but also a lot like the cassette tape, which is deemed "good enough" for the public, but far from optimal. As we all know, digital music is a chopping, quantizing, and reconstructing medium, whereas high quality tape is simply storage of the intact electronic signal. When I record my Model D to tape and play it back, what I am hearing IS the Model D, not just an accurate representation.

A while ago, a guy came to fix my fridge. He came into my studio, and didn't understand why I had so many keyboards. He said "check this out, I can get all those sounds just on my IPhone" and showed me all these music apps. He claimed that his Moog emulators were just as good as the real thing. Trying not to laugh, I fired up my Mini, played a few notes, and basically floored him.

That said, digital is responsible for a lot of great ideas from great musicians being recorded and distributed, but if you won't settle for anything but the best, which I assume if you're into Moog gear, digital won't cut it.

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:43 pm

unfiltered37 wrote:When I record my Model D to tape and play it back, what I am hearing IS the Model D, not just an accurate representation...
I like this, I'm not sure that I agree, but it's an interesting notion.
unfiltered37 wrote:A while ago, a guy came to fix my fridge. He came into my studio, and didn't understand why I had so many keyboards. He said "check this out, I can get all those sounds just on my IPhone" and showed me all these music apps. He claimed that his Moog emulators were just as good as the real thing. Trying not to laugh, I fired up my Mini, played a few notes, and basically floored him.

That said, digital is responsible for a lot of great ideas from great musicians being recorded and distributed, but if you won't settle for anything but the best, which I assume if you're into Moog gear, digital won't cut it.
I hope you have your gear insured - sounds to me like this guy was scoping out your studio to see if it was worth breaking into! I hope this isn't the case, but just because I'm not paranoid doesn't mean that everyone isn't out to get me...

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:28 am

16bit 44.1Khz might be good enough for most folks. I use 24bit 192Khz. I no longer miss my tape machine. I still have one 1/4" half track for using as an effect, but it is no longer my mastering deck. And it really doesn't matter if you go all analog. You will be the only one who hears the differance (If any) as you can not distribute on tape anymore. (Has anyone released on RTR tape in the last 30 years?) In order for it to be heard, it is going to go out as: 1. Cassette tape- pretty poor option even with the best of tape and machines.
2. MP3-Barely better than a standard cassette tape. 3. CD-at 24bit 44.1Khz good enough for the masses and way better than an mp3. 4. Vinyl-even with it's inherant problems, records are still my favorite way to listen to music. it has never gone away, it has been plugging away in the background. But the loss of low freq response and the need of the RIAA curve in the preamp mean it still isn't a true representation of the original.
5.-FLAC or other lossless digital format. HUGE files to DL, but at 24bit 192Khz maybe a few people in the world could pick it out from a 30IPS master in a blind listen. What I hear in my studio monitors is the sound my synths make. It isn't any different from the live feed going in or the reproducer coming out. And the best thing about all that is, so much of what I can hear in the control room is going to be completely lost by the system that 99.9% of the world is going to listen to the music on. The rabbit hole of that .1% isn't worth the investment. Law of diminishing returns has hit a brick wall limiter long before that point.
And all that cool old analog gear, mics, processors and consoles are (GASP) coloring the actual original sound! Just becuase it is 'pleasing' and what many are used to hearing, doesn't mean it is better or clearer or more accurate.
But I love the analog purists out there. They keep the prices of truly outstanding digital instruments low. (And I don't buy a digital machine to emulate an older analog machine. I buy it for the sounds that the older analog machine can not do.) In the analog domain, it takes nearly 22 MU spaces of modular to do one single decent 2 operator through zero voice. And nearly 10,000 USD to buy. It doesn't track well and isn't stable. A DX7 can blow that analog attempt at FM synthesis away at 300 USD and be polyphonic at the same time. Do I want my digital synth to sound like a Mini D or ARP? No. Can my MINI D or ARP sound like my digitals? No. A Rhodes can't sound like a Bosendorfer, either.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:23 am

I was using 192/24 bit when I used Logic for recording, and still use 96k/24 bit for reverbs, but only because I can't afford a plate reverb or a chamber, and springs are not easy to get realistic sounds, but cool on some stuff. At 24 bit, the sample rate, as long as its above 44.1, is pretty negligible, but higher quality nonetheless.
As I said, digital is the only option for many, and the convenience, editing, etc. are invaluable. I don't use analog reverbs because they are impractical, but would if I had an unlimited budget. And I realize tape is not practical for many, so thank god for digital, but at the same time, the very best of the best is high quality analog tape and other analog gear. I am an analog snob only because I had the budget to be, so I'm not knocking digital. But if you have the money, I highly recommend getting a wide track Studer, Ampex, 3m (!), MCI, or Otari machine, especially if you use analog synths, the difference is not subtle.
As far as distribution, I have (reluctantly) used mp3 and CD, but only convert the very final mix after recorded, mixed, and mastered to tape. I have found that using the fewest converters on a track as possible allow for a much better product. The better quality the individual tracks, the better the mix. Listening to classic records on CD to my ears sounds better, albeit less clear than most modern albums.
I have not delved into vinyl, but know of a mastering studio in New York that does all analog presses, and hope to use them in the future. (most modern vinyl is cut from a digital master, unless the firm has a specially made tape machine with a preview head).

Listen to Dap Tone records, which are all analog, but even as MP3's sound very cool and retro, and though kinda lo-fi, still a pleasure to hear.