Micky Dolenz Moog

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
BrianK

Re: Micky Dolenz Moog

Post by BrianK » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:33 am

compago wrote:I appreciate everyone’s positive comments and helpful input.

That Moog catalog (from the Moog factory but used by a Toronto distributor? It’s unclear) is file-name-dated 1976 (if that’s accurate), so if Moog wasn’t making modulars in 1976 those prices were could have been marked up due to scarcity or just appreciation - or - maybe that was simply the actual US price in 1976.
This is a field where you may have only very recent experience and are learning things from 1 or 2 sites on the web. They are full of good information, but only if you know how to interpret it - knowing bigger pictures from experience, etc. There was no shortage or lack of production on modules in this era - they had a whole department and six salesmen countrywide for modular systems!

Assuming no Moog modular synthesizers were made in 1966 is completely untrue - please be careful interpreting history, as this IS the web, and someone else may interpret your statements as true. With limited experience, this system may seem to somehow tie into the first Moog, etc etc but it really doesn't - there are things you may not see on the web or in catalogs that were quite commonplace, but seem rare or "first" if you are new to the subject.

Yes, it is a difficult history to follow, sometimes, as those days the company was more interested in working than documenting their actions. This instrument is - by far - not "full of firsts" and certainly not one of the most-famous Moogs as it was used very little in public and on record. The cabinetry is the main feature that is unusual, but bare plywood is not necessarily more desirable than the famous Tolex cabinets, as many people grew up looking at Klaus Schulze, Larry Fast, Tomita, or Greg Giuffria and feel that the Tolex look is more correct. It's great that the synthesizer is mostly intact; again, did he find the original ribbon controller it has in all the old photos?

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:51 pm

The thread here has taken an odd turn to be sure.

It starts out with some great historical photos and stories. Someone comes along who is selling this same old Moog Modular, asks a group of working musicians what the value is, receives plenty of answers, then decides to interpret them in a way that allows him to place a higher value on the beast than anything any of us has implied.

Personally, I find this kind of manipulation to be quite distasteful. Trying to attach maximum value to this instrument is (for me) on the same level of trying to attach value to Mickey Dolenz's used underwear. Please don't let us know what the hapless collector does with this instrument after he buys it, I really don't want to know. If someone buys it for its musical value, that's one thing. But no one in their right mind would pay much more than for the equivalent Dotcom or Moon or COTK modules, it just doesn't make any sense. Unless you are a museum or something...

Trying to compare an old Modular to an old guitar is something only a non-guitarist would do. Pickups sound better with age according to some, plus the wood slowly seasons with age and again to some, starts sounding better and better. The only thing a synthesizer gets with age is more and more broken and in need of component replacements.

I think you've gotten your answers Compago. I glad to learn a bit of the history in the process of reading this thread, and yet I feel that I need to wash my hands with bleach after reading some of the 'interpretations' leading to a higher and higher collectors valuation. The valuation process that goes on with instruments like this make it harder and harder for working musicians to afford good vintage gear. And that's the group that's being addressed here.

Apologies if anyone gets their undies in a twist over my morning thoughts. :)

Stephen

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:56 pm

Yep, there's a word for that: speculation. And it sure ain't pretty, I agree with you Stephen.

Alain.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

MC

Post by MC » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:51 pm

I will add that the guitar comparison is apples and oranges for many reasons I won't bother to list, and that guitar players tend to have bigger holes in their pockets.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:23 am

Yes, sadly, every statement made seems a fervent attempt to push UP the value (rather than determine history or accuracy) by comparing it to other things. If you re-read the thread, it's not his synthesizer, so it's probably just the excitement of realizing there is some history there - ALL old Moog synths have a history, you just need to find it!

He's been very good at supplying requested photos (or the owner has) which helps us all with data and details. Thanks for that! ...And it would be great to have someone check it out in person - NO it won't sound any different or better than another Moog synth, it just matters whether it works or not, and how well.

Good information is always welcome, speculation is..... well.....