New from Moog!!! 'The Ladder' 500 series Filter

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Just Me

Re: New from Moog!!! 'The Ladder' 500 series Filter

Post by Just Me » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:20 am

Why would I buy Moog modular components? Even though I have 88 MU spaces, the only things I would like to see from the new Norlin Group would be a FFB with inductors or some of the Bode stuff reissued. I know they will never do the FFB as the machine to make the coils is no longer in their possesion. And no one could afford the Bode stuff. The MU and 5U market is so well covered in the plain vanilla modules that the Moog modules would represent it would never be worth their time. Even the 960 is cloned and better than the original. And with folks like Ken McBeth and others doing 'enhanced' (You know, stable.) copies of original modules, who needs them? There seems to be no one at the helm right now and the ship is just yawing in the wind. Glad I'm not a shareholder.

Now, if they would redo the MF's in CP-251 formats, I'd be interested. And it still seems they have forgotten what a VCA is or what it can be used for. Just glad I got what I got before they run themselves on the reef and founder.
(Come on Moog, prove me wrong.)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

ARP

Post by ARP » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:13 am

Why would I buy Moog modular components? Even though I have 88 MU spaces
:mrgreen: Cause you aint in the big leagues yet, at least until you can hang with the 110 + space systems... keep trying, you'll get there.
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:47 am

Thats just the left channel.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

MC

Post by MC » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:44 am

That's just the left front channel of a 5.1 synth system.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:07 pm

Just Me wrote:Why would I buy Moog modular components? Even though I have 88 MU spaces, the only things I would like to see from the new Norlin Group would be a FFB with inductors or some of the Bode stuff reissued. I know they will never do the FFB as the machine to make the coils is no longer in their possesion. And no one could afford the Bode stuff. The MU and 5U market is so well covered in the plain vanilla modules that the Moog modules would represent it would never be worth their time. Even the 960 is cloned and better than the original. And with folks like Ken McBeth and others doing 'enhanced' (You know, stable.) copies of original modules, who needs them? There seems to be no one at the helm right now and the ship is just yawing in the wind. Glad I'm not a shareholder.

Now, if they would redo the MF's in CP-251 formats, I'd be interested. And it still seems they have forgotten what a VCA is or what it can be used for. Just glad I got what I got before they run themselves on the reef and founder.
(Come on Moog, prove me wrong.)
They should put the moogerfooger line into a 5U/MU compatible format. Stay away from the basics (oscillators, filters, etc) since as you mentioned those are covered by many other manufacturers. If they could keep the cost the same or slightly less than the current moogerfoogers, all the better.

museslave

Post by museslave » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:50 pm

"This isn't what I want!"

Well, that's awesome. Thanks for sharing.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:54 am

museslave wrote:"This isn't what I want!"

The point is, that Moog seems to not be manufacturing what ANYONE wants anymore. Or is only willing to build to the smallest niche markets they can find. And don't mention the Animoo. It isn't manufactured.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Moogtard

Post by Moogtard » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Sounds more like they aren't making anything you want.

I personally wouldn't mind having a pair of Ladder filters for use in my studio.

museslave

Post by museslave » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:46 pm

Just Me wrote:

The point is, that Moog seems to not be manufacturing what ANYONE wants anymore. Or is only willing to build to the smallest niche markets they can find. And don't mention the Animoo. It isn't manufactured.
Yes, yes. What people want is for Moog to inexplicably make a drum machine or a polyphonic synth for a price that is ridiculous.
I don't know who you think "anyone" is, but the Slim Phatty is an affordable Moog synth, the Animoog is an insanely expressive polyphonic iPad synth, and that filter is a very functional pro-audio tool. What exactly do you think "everyone" wants?
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:19 am

Moogtard wrote:Sounds more like they aren't making anything you want.

I personally wouldn't mind having a pair of Ladder filters for use in my studio.
Yes, but would you pay that much for even one? The MF-101 I'm sure is just as good for 1/3 of the price with way more functionality and its own power supply. It's a marketing/name exposure tool, and a dam good one.

degas

Post by degas » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:32 am

I want a stereo MF-101, in a rack, with midi. :)

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:15 pm

Just Me wrote:

I wanted the app. If I played guitar I'd sure as hell would want one. I want a new drum product. Moog is not doing what YOU want them to do. Like any smart business they are trying to cast a larger market share net. They need to if they want to stay relevant. Why do fanboys half such a hard time understanding this. How many Moog synths is the average person going to buy every year? Do you think the average person is going to buy a new every year just because it says Moog or DSI or Buchla or Oberheim? They need to produce things that attract a wide base, not just the hard core who must happen to have tons of extra cash laying around.

It seems that the hard core want Moog to make a poly synth and not waste their time with anything else. But it's the same vocal lads that will bitch and moan when they come out with a 4 voice unit that coast $3500. We will hear you all complain that it should have been 8 voice and $2500 if Moog releases a 8 voice it will be the same few that will need at least 16 voices. If our friends in N.C. listened to all of us they would be out of business in five years.

Just because I don't want it doesn't mean it's not wanted!
Slabwax

Moogtard

Post by Moogtard » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:28 pm

"Yes, but would you pay that much for even one? "

No, not at all. I would wait to get a couple used ones eventually. Nor would I get a MF filter for studio use. I had one and it may have had something wrong with it but I didn't like it at all and sold it shortly after I had gotten it. It had a level of "self noise" that was unacceptable.

Does anyone know if "the Ladder" filter has the same or a similar design as the MF filter?

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:45 pm

[quote="Moogtard" Nor would I get a MF filter for studio use.[/quote]

I use my 101 on drums, bass, clavinet, etc for recording on an aux/efx bus all the time. I'm sure the ladder is a 101 with electronically balanced in/out and no cv. Just because the interface is balanced doesn't mean it will be less noisy. It's not even stereo. Even buying a used ladder would not be worth it, since you would need lunchbox space, which is not very cheap. It's pretty, I know, but don't succumb to gear lust, or at least overpriced gear lust.