Congrats on your new products....

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
angelus00

Congrats on your new products....

Post by angelus00 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:04 pm

Hi there,
I'm the happy owner of one Voyager RME, 2 x Slim Phattys, 2 x MF101 and a MF103.
So... after dedicating thousands of hours of creative thinking to develop wonderful analog products, the new direction of Moog (after Bob) is...
a 99c digital app??? @%& arggghhh :evil:
a big boooooo from me
With best regards

mhuxtable

Re: Congrats on your new products....

Post by mhuxtable » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:38 pm

Oh cmon really? Mike is keeping Bob's legacy very much alive....the Moog guitar, Taurus 3, Slim Phatty.

Moog is combining the world of superior analog synthesizers and the new digital age. MIDI syncing, the new interfaces, presets....it's the new world music is in. I personally think the digital syncing is amazing....I love having presets on my LP. iPads are here to stay (I'm typing on one now!) and are a big part of our world. People have used iPads now for all kinds of functions....utilities, social networking, music....moog is just keeping up with the times...and really setting the pace and breaking down barriers....which is really what they're all about in the first place.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:55 pm

Maybe they should have charged $100+ for this app. It seems to legitimize software, it works for Universal Audio. They slap a famous vintage name on a plugin and charge over $300 for a questionable quality product. But an essentially free app that is actually useful is a good way to get exposure and advertising for their hardware. Good idea in my opinion, more honorable than UA's model, but then again I don't use computers for music, so my opinion carries no weight.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:39 am

Actually, Ipads AREN'T here to stay.

A few years or so I read a consumer reports article about fading technologies. E-readers, low end digital cameras, gps devices, and tablets were all showing lower and lower profit margins. This was after the ipad but before the 2010 christmas boom in sales of tablets and e-readers namely the ipad.

The article went on to say that the smartphones were the cause of it all. Noone will spend 100 bucks on a digital camera or ipod if their phone will do it all for them. If you want a camera you will have to buy a professional grade camera. They went further stating that the ipad was designed BEFORE the iphone, and that Steve Jobs released the ipad, knowing that it was a soon to be obsolete technology.

Then this article came out today
http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/ysho ... nd-in-2020

Im not thrilled about the software attempts either. They are getting that brand out, and I think that it will pay off for them over the very long term. I don't know what the demographics for ipads are now, but i know kids as young as 3 have them. So 15 years ago we asked ourselves why gradeschool children had cell phones, you know ipads will do the same thing. THe people who can't afford Moog can get their fingers interested in synthesis for a penny with that famous brand and look to the big boy toys when he can afford a second mortgage.

Eric
Last edited by EricK on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:09 am

Moog Music has always been about making tools that musicians want and need. Like it or not but ipads are becoming a huge part of the music making process so i can understand why Moog would go this route. Also this little app will most likely help fund bigger and better things. they will have more R&D money to make things like the moog guitar, cluster flux and murf. chances are they will probably sell more apps than anything else because every musician with an ipad will buy it, and any that were on the fence about ipads will probably buy one for this app its basically a $530 moog synthesizer (which is probably the cheapest we will ever get a new moog synth). although not analog, it does have that unique moog quality
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

machetemirage

Post by machetemirage » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:57 pm

Because they didn't just put out an analog Chorus/Flange. They're going totally digital. :roll:

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:08 am

EricK wrote:Actually, iPads AREN'T here to stay.
Eric
Once a year, for the next five years, I'm
going to publicly remind you of this quote. ;-)
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:15 am

If you read the article you would see that most of those devices are supposed to be nonexistant by 2020.

So:

Three years after you publicly remind me, I will remind you back. :lol:

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:26 am

_DemonDan_ wrote:
EricK wrote:Actually, iPads AREN'T here to stay.
Eric
Once a year, for the next five years, I'm
going to publicly remind you of this quote. ;-)
Indeed !
Of course, everything is impermanent but I don't think a iPad (or other tablet) replacement will be showing up anytime soon. Also the article that Eric quoted doesn't even say that tablets will disappear by the end of the decade. It does say that tablets will replace E-readers (wow, who would have thought ?)

It is a well known fact (now) that the iPad was prototyped before the iPhone. It was during development that Apple realized that the UI they had developed was perfect for a phone.

Saying that tablet technology is soon to be obsolete is just preposterous.

My own opinion is that Animoog is one of the best - if not the best - iPad application build so far and drawing this kind of attention to Moog Music can only be good for the company and ultimately it's customers.
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:32 am

EricK wrote:If you read the article you would see that most of those devices are supposed to be nonexistant by 2020.

So:

Three years after you publicly remind me, I will remind you back. :lol:
Eric,

did you read the article ?? It says:
The tablet will largely supplant the e-reader in the same way that the iPod increasingly gets displaced by smartphones,”...
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:57 pm

Everything you need to know is in my earlier post, but here are a few more things to look over. It's not a matter of who is right or wrong, it is just a matter of the rate of evolution of technology.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/23 ... _obsolete/
http://gearsofbiz.com/all/motorola-atri ... -obsolete/

Anyway, Congratulations to moog on their new products....they went modular!

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:23 am

Over 25 years ago I remember hearing about how analog synths would stop being made any longer.
They spoke of how frustrating they were to own, operate and move and that digital could do all the same things even better.

I also remember... so many times... hearing about how Apple Computer was about to go out of business at any moment.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:35 am

it reminds me of being an "indie" snob ,and resenting one of "my" bands when they achieved success,and all the "ignorant" joe six packs all of a sudden had access to said band.now i,ve grown up,and i can't stand the fact that any d****bag with an i-pad can be exposed to Moog!

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:34 pm

I'm glad that Moog could very well be a household name again, especially for the up-and-coming youngsters out there.

I don't think that Moog should be a quality that is exclusive to only the professional, or people with good credit either, though I will admit that I purchased Moog gear because it is the best and I want my recordings to have elements that not just anybody can have.

They need to stay in business and whatever they have to do to stay in business, aside from cutting quality is fine by me.

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:07 pm

yes,you are correct.if this gadget proves to be profitable for Moog,it's well worth it.