Mini restoration - plastic switch cleaners?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
roh

Mini restoration - plastic switch cleaners?

Post by roh » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:53 am

Hi - anyone know of a product that will strip away discoloration on plastic parts, (ie my 74 Mini switches)?

They have a layer of smoke/dirt/paint? thats pretty ugly, seems to have gotten into the first layer of plastic on the blue
mixer swtiches. Wont come off with typical cleaners.

cheers!

kaseijin

Re: Mini restoration - plastic switch cleaners?

Post by kaseijin » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:28 am

I would give retr0bright a try. Removes discoloration in ABS plastic very well. Mix a tiny bit of Oxy-clean detergent into a much larger amount of hydrogen peroxide. Soak in the sun for 4-6 hours.
Roland SH-09 / Farfisa Combo Compact / Korg MS-2000B / Moog Voyager PE / Moog Opus 3 / Akai MPC 500

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:10 pm

Just a note that Retrobright will probably work well on these switches, but will eat away at the metal if it comes in contact.
Make sure you get the stuff on the plastic only.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:29 pm

Haven't used this on switches or wheels, but I use the Novus (3 and 2) on my Pinball restoration projects. It's fairly mild when it comes to the chemical composition aspect of it, but very good for polishing plastics.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!