Rogue and MG-1 end panel replacements

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Technician Larry

Rogue and MG-1 end panel replacements

Post by Technician Larry » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:54 pm

OK - I fine tuned jigs, templates and the procedure and am pretty satisfied with the results.

The wood pictured here, starting from the top: 1. Vertical grain Black Walnut from dunnage salvage 2. Black Locust natural finish (harvested from the Steven's estate last summer 3. Black Walnut with sapwood edge from tree removal project last year 4. Black Walnut heartwood (flat grain) from same tree 5. Black Locust with dark walnut stain

Even with the jigs complete, these are quite time consuming to make as I'm particular about the details. Customer response to marketing inquiries indicate $85 per set including packaging and mailing to US address is a reasonable price. If I can tool up to make them a dozen at a time I could do OK at a lesser cost, but I don't see that happening any time soon. What do you guys think?

Other wood species on hand are Cherry, Oak, and Holly. My price for the wood on hand is insignificant, but If I have to go to Woodcrafter's for a special order, that would add significantly to the cost. Each jpb requires (2 ea) 6" X 13" X 1" rough or 3/4" finish plus (1 ea) 1.5" X 1.5 X 12" for the filler blocks. I'll make these out of any wood a customer wants to provide.

Router jigs for these end panels were somewhat problematic to design and construct. Each panel requires two routing operations; one for the front of the bottom plate and a second for the front panel edges. Additionally, left and right panels require mirror image operations resulting in four separate jigs. Assemblies pictured here are for left and right panels. Each assembly has a jig on the top and bottom to complete the two separate operations.

Shipped with each pair of end panels is a set of screws for mounting the bottom panel, and a set of wedges for the glue up procedure. It will be necessary to drill 1/16" pilot holes for each bottom panel screw as I can not be certain to locate them exactly without the final assembly process complete.

See more info here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 9089484922
Last edited by Technician Larry on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calyx93

Re: Rogue and MG-1 end panel replacements

Post by calyx93 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:12 pm

Looks very nice - the MG-1 with the new panels looks sorta like the Kawai 100f. Wood makes everything look better :D
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:22 pm

Those look nice. You should look into making side for the LP's.

Technician Larry

Post by Technician Larry » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:02 am

Thanks for those kind words guys. Slabwax - please excuse my ignorance, but to what do you refer by "LP"?

I'd like to get into making more woodworking components as I do love whiffing sawdust. I have convenient access to renting time on laser cutting / engraving equipment and plan to experiment with some intricate inlay work. Line art, logos, etc. would look great with snow white Holly wood inlayed into some of that Black Walnut. Perhaps a Strat guitar body with line art of Hendrix for example.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:02 am

Little Phatty

Technician Larry

Post by Technician Larry » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:10 pm

More Black Walnut came out of the drying room on Saturday. I made more Rogue / MG-1 end panels. Here is one example. Image

See close up shots of 8 sets of panels here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/deechurch/ ... 789177581/

e3p0

Post by e3p0 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:54 pm

Those look real nice. I would also love walnut sides for a LP. (with laser engraved logo and labels on ins and outs)
-e

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:41 pm

I think $85 is a fair price. I wouldn't have a problem paying that... So if you end up making end cheeks for the little phatty let us know!
Last edited by Kenneth on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

xombiexplox

Post by xombiexplox » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:47 pm

I will go ahead and chime in with the rest that Little Phatty end pieces would be stellar. I would gladly pay around 85 for some of them! I have the extra CV out mod, so I wouldn't mind paying a little extra ;D
GEAR: Slingshot, yo-yo, baseball cap, heaphones, gummi wormz

Technician Larry

Post by Technician Larry » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:15 pm

Responding to requests for Black Walnut heartwood / sapwood mix end panels I have selected some stock specifically for this application. My favorite is pictured below. I left a bit of the band saw teeth marks along the bottom edge to add to the character and drastic color variations intrigue me.

View photos of seven new end panels sets here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/deechurch/ ... 241768416/

pharmaind

Post by pharmaind » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:40 am

hello
best of luck and go ahead for replacements
And inform me once done successfully.

Technician Larry

Post by Technician Larry » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:54 pm

A new batch of end panels for Rogue and MG-1 offer new features and functions. Check it out here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 922&type=3

Technician Larry

Post by Technician Larry » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:56 pm

Messaging from this forum has not been 100% reliable. If I don't respond right away, please try contacting me directly at [email protected] or 503-632-1234.