Cheap VCA modules for analog automation

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
unfiltered37

Cheap VCA modules for analog automation

Post by unfiltered37 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:37 pm

I have been searching for a solution for automating mutes/levels coming back from my 8 track tape machine to my mixer (I'm one of the few remaining people that records and mixes completely analog). One way I thought of would be to get 8 synth VCA modules, patching them into the mixer's pre fader inserts and control them with midi or CV via Volta. Any suggestions on some cheap but transparent modules? Probably don't want to spend more than $100 per module, and I would prefer midi control but that's probably not realistic, right? The only other way is to go digital (when hell freezes) or use my feet to make fades and mutes, so any help would be appreciated.

dr_floyd

Re: Cheap VCA modules for analog automation

Post by dr_floyd » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:52 am

Check out the old JL Cooper Mix Mate - VCA controlled MIDI automation. There were several consumer level VCA mixing solutions in the old days, so you should be able to find something. Otherwise you could build a small Eurorack modular that includes many VCAs and a MIDI interface.

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:56 am

For the modular route, check out the new 4ms pedals VCA Matrix - could be an interesting solution with one module ( plus MIDI interface).

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:24 pm

Thanks, just got 2 8 channel mixmates for $19 a piece. I'm a bit leery about the sound though, hopefully it's transparent, but probably not. Maybe it can be modded. The only other solution of its kind is the niche audio control unit, another antique midi-vca AM. Do you know of any modern low cost AM systems? What is an 8 X vca eurorack contolled by midi going to set me back?

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:35 pm

While not ideal in terms of speed, vactrols might solve your problem.
They'd provide complete isolation from anything digital and there's nothing active in the audio signal path.
No offsets, no phase shift, etc.
Less components when compared to true VCAs also.

You could conceivably make an 8 channel unit using 8 vactrols and two quad opamps plus a small handful of resistors.
Just an idea.
I'm sure the concept has been explored before with both pros and cons discussed.
Google? :)
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin