Moog Source Sequencer / Arpeggiator not working

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
crazypoprock

Moog Source Sequencer / Arpeggiator not working

Post by crazypoprock » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:31 am

Hello Moog community! I just bought a Moog Source and the previous owner warned me that the internal sequencer doesn't work...he said this has something to do with an O.S. update that was done at some point back in the day. From the limited use I've had with it so far it seems like this must affect the arpeggiator because I can't seem to get it to work either.
Is this repairable in any way? I'd really love to have the sequencer and arp working on this beauty!
Everything else about the synth works great...
thanks in advance for your help!
-patrick

MC

Re: Moog Source Sequencer / Arpeggiator not working

Post by MC » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:55 pm

Moog never made an OS that crippled the arpeggiator.

Does it have the Encore MIDI retrofit? This replaces the OS which removed the sequencer but retained the arp. If it has MIDI jacks then it is likely the Encore as Moog never made a MIDI retrofit back then.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

crazypoprock

Post by crazypoprock » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:14 pm

*post deleted
Last edited by crazypoprock on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazypoprock

Post by crazypoprock » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:18 pm

MC wrote:Moog never made an OS that crippled the arpeggiator.

Does it have the Encore MIDI retrofit? This replaces the OS which removed the sequencer but retained the arp. If it has MIDI jacks then it is likely the Encore as Moog never made a MIDI retrofit back then.
I wish that was the problem! But there is no retrofit nor any mods on my Source....any other ideas on how to fix the arpeggio and sequencer? I suppose it's possible that I just don't know how to use them properly but I did what the manual said...hmm...

MC

Post by MC » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:51 am

It's a real simple arpeggiator. You press the button and play a sequence of notes (24 or less). When you repeat any note, you defined the arpeggio and it immediately starts playing. The rate it plays is controlled by the LFO.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

crazypoprock

Post by crazypoprock » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:34 pm

So I've tested it multiple times...the sequencer and arpeggio just do not work...but the sample and hold functions do work...any other ideas?Are there any good shops in NYC that would know about the Moog Source to do repairs on it?

ModernGildedAgeMusic

Post by ModernGildedAgeMusic » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:01 am

Hello!
Just to revive a REALLY old topic:

I recently purchased a used Source that exhibited the exact same issues as the OP: Arpeggiator & Sequencer not working... possibly after a firmware upgrade. (I am also curious if the OP sold their unit... and I may have actually purchased it...!?)
Absolutely no issues on the analog sound board side. This is one of the first version, without the upgraded sync jacks.

I attempted to troubleshoot the digital board (the service notes are extremely vague on where/how the arpeggiator & sequencer data is stored, triggered, etc.). Checked voltages to all relevant chips. Swapped the memory chips, to see if any were corrupt. Swapped buffer & logic chips to see if behaviors changed (Had a couple already on-hand, and swapped them out also... "just-in-case"). Purchased a new CPU, just in case it somehow became corrupted. Nothing changed the issue.
Finally realized that there was a version 3.3 EPROM in this unit... and noticed that someone(s) else mentioned that this was the version in later models, with the extra sync jacks. Found a seller (in Italy) that sells EPROMS with version 2.2, and bought one... since I was out of options (my troubleshooting skills only go so far).
Swapped it out... and BAM! this thing is working correctly!!!
So the OP's original statement, that a "firmware upgrade" may have stopped it from working... are actually correct! I am assuming that the 3.2 and 3.3 firmware versions are probably for the 2nd, and 3rd version Source models, with the Sync jacks. (It is also possible I may have a partially corrupted 3.3 EPROM chip... but have no way to test that theory). So if anyone else runs into this issue... it may actually be the firmware version.

TL:DR Older 2.2 EPROM firmware chip fixed the apreggiator & sequencer "not working" issue,