What do you do?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Kenneth

What do you do?

Post by Kenneth » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:35 am

In the music world, I mean?

I used to play keyboards with an alternative rock band called The People Say Fox. I left the group nearly two years ago and now am focusing fully on my electronic solo act, Symbol Swan. I want to know what everyone else here is doing musically. Are you a live performer? In a band? Solo? Are you solely a recording artist? Are you a producer for others' music? Or do you simply love the sound of analog synthesizers and sit in front of a Moog noodling away for hours?

What's your story?
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

megavoice

Re: What do you do?

Post by megavoice » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi Kenneth,

Nice to see you interrest here.

My main subject is singing, I've been a singer for nearly forty years now with interruptions in cover-rock bands.
I've a 5-octave voice and I like to interpret a lot of.
Since I was a young boy I always looked up to the very "big-ones" , from Tom Jones over Shirley Bessy, Anna Carpenter up to David Coverdale, R. J. Dio, John Lawton etc.
As many others here I had been infected by "Lucky Man", "Popcorn" and the Moog-sounds on "YES" and "Uriah Heep" recordings and began to by one thing after the other of the old Moog-stuff in the early '80ies, except the Memorymoog.
I LOVE ! the experimental use and sound of analog gear, especially Moog, and I'm playing on and off as a 2. keyboarder and in bands especially when covering SAGA-songs.
I'm very much looking forward now to play also rock-guitar in a band again.

Cheers
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:42 pm

Been a live support sound engineer and a lighting engineer for years. Gave it up decades ago as I would rather eat and get fat. Always played for my own amusement. Now I have a real job and a studio full of gear. I mainly just noodle for my own enjoyment. I've got enough stuff to do an album or three, just not the drive to do it. There probably isn't much of a market for the stuff I like and I would rather not spend the money making vinyl that is going to rot in a discount bin.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

MC

Post by MC » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:48 pm

Gigged in clubs for twenty years while working a day job. Now semi-retired from gigging as a consequence of a new job and new town. The job has paid for my hobby and I have a studio full of stuff, I just record songs at home.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:52 am

I have loved music my whole life but never learned to play. I started 2.5 years ago with the goal of being proficient enough to play small to medium live gigs, solo or in a band. I had ideas of style and instruments I would like to play, but let it evolve naturally. I never thought I would get into procussion(electronic) as much as I did. I mainly play monosynths, precussion synths, and effects.

I record live, mainly to improve performace chops, but I have enjoyed some of the results. I am beginning to work with some local musicians, there are a lot to learn from, but being a bit older and still a hack has kept me a bit shy. I am putting together a set for solo performance I hope to have polished by the end of the summer.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:49 am

I played guitar/synth in an experimental noise, atmospheric type band for a couple years but it gradually fell apart as we all started getting busier in our lives outside the band.but now I am mostly a bedroom noodler (that doesn't sound right....) I'm sort of figuring out where I want to go musically, and improve my writing and playing so that hopefully next year I can put out a more serious solo effort. If I can make it work I'd like to take it live. but we shall see
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:05 pm

And you, Kenneth ?
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:07 pm

I’ve been practicing music officially for 17 years beginning on Bass guitar predominantly and expanding over the next several years to encompass other stringed, brass, woodwind and percussion instruments. I have had formal lessons and theory training. I began learning the recording process in 1996 made my first full length album by 1999 and the second by 2000. I have 5 full length albums, 2 cd’s worth of live performance material, and at least an album’s worth of completed but unrecorded songs. I have performed in at least 2 different clubs as a musician and was paid on a monthly basis as a musician in a church. I have spent the majority of the years focused on developing my craft, writing and producing my own songs and albums in addition to studying and practicing various other methods of artistic expression not limited to music.

I derive pleasure from compiling a body of work rather than focusing on live performance. I have collected instruments and plan to build a facility to properly house and record them. I do plan on getting on stage provided that I can find some dedicated musicians to work with once i complete my formal education.

I am currently taking somewhat of a hiatus from regular practice as I am pursuing other avenues of informal study (amateur radio).

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

VCS3

Post by VCS3 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:37 pm

I record and perform experimental electronic music.
Drone, ambient and musique conctete as well.
I have an ever growing studio which seems to make life better for fleeting moments. I play live and release recordings. Music is the one constant in my life. Creating it is my art and passion.
Talking about it with my mates over some pints is a perfect evening.

I've learned a lot and travelled the world because of it. I curse it one minute and embrace it the next.
I'm hooked, can't stop now!

Cheers

ricknboogie

Post by ricknboogie » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:33 pm

I was a bassist for many years, cover bands, originals, mostly rock. Last year, I met some guys wanting to put an experimental project together, and I owned a Little Phatty, so I jumped in. I now own several synths, including my 2nd LP, and a MoogerFooger or 2, and I'm the full time keyboard/synth player now, writing and recording, and eventually gigging this new project of spacey/trippy rock. I don't claim to be a great keyboard player, but I do have the synthesis part down, and have a blast coming up with new sounds and textures.

Lazerface

Post by Lazerface » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:26 am

Day job = Graphic Designer at one of the busiest music venues in Australia

Music wise, started off playing guitar/vox in a noise punk band 5(?) years ago..
Then I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, which certainly made playing strenuous guitar riffs difficult ..fairly devastating as a 23yo too.

However, I found i could still play keys without too much pain, and subsequently started looking into synths.
I had a line6 fm4 in my guitar setup which I absolutely loved and wanted to find something I could make truly bizarre noises with.
Thus stumbling into analog synthesis!

Now I play in an experimental noise/metal/grindcore band - playing bass on the Phatty in conjunction with a korg ms2000 (yes I know that's not analog but it's still a pretty great unit) , MF ring mod, Moog multi pedal and a Future Retro Revolution is currently on it's way to me :D
Oh and there's a Roland SR-09 that I use for the more epic parts that I use at bigger venues when space isnt as much an issue.

Also, through treatment the arthritis is almost non-existent now, but I love synths way more than I ever loved guitar so not going back!

We play live almost every week.

Josef_K

Post by Josef_K » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:11 am

I have played keyboards in a classic rock band for one year now. We have really not reached that far since we put the final line up together just one month ago, it's been lots and lots of issues with band members during this one year haha :P

This far all I have had for gear is my Nord Electro 2, my EHX MemoryToy, a shitty (imo at least) Boss SD-1 and my personal favourite, the Moog 12 stage Phaser. As far as I know I'm the first one to play distorted "Jon Lord" organ while using the 12 stage phaser as a wah-wah with my Moog EP pedal. Never seen it been done before, never heard of it ^^. I'm planning to add a Little Phatty to my gear, extending the possibilites for my band to get a more progressive sound. We've only had two gigs so far, but who knows what will happen :D Probably we will have enough material for an album by the end of this year, releasing an album is not going to be easy though, but there is always hope.
My Gear:
Nord Electro 2
Little Phatty Tribute Edition
Korg Monotron
Epiphone G400
Moogerfooger 12 Stage Phaser
EHX Memorytoy analog delay
Boss SD-1 Overdrive

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:01 pm

I used to play keyboards when I was younger.
I'd been in various "garage bands" as a teenager, but only played some parties and a school dance.

In the early 80's though, I locked up with Nina Hagen as a synthesist (for lack of a better term.)
She had just finished her new album, "Nunsexmonkrock" and was going on a European tour.

(see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nina_Hagen)

We practiced in a North Hollywood rehearsal studio for several days.
I played a Polymoog (full version) and a Cat SRM.

The band also had Paul Roessler on keyboards (45 Grave, Nervous Gender, The Screamers) and Pat Smear on bass (Germs, Nirvana, Foo Fighters.)

Supposedly we were to open for Queen at some point, but the tour was cancelled. Nina did another tour later.
That was it for my performance career, but I remained as a synth tech.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:17 pm

Kevin Lightner wrote:I used to play keyboards when I was younger.
I'.

I remember those days. :D

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:00 pm

I'm a keyboarder. At home (my home is my studio) i compose and record tunes for fun. Visit http://www.psicolor.de if you're bored.
On stage, i mostly play funk.
With a friend of mine, who's a jazz guitar player, i'm also doing a mixture between clubmusic and livemusic on parties. Therefor i use a looper pedal and a mpc1000 to compensate the lack of musicians on stage.
http://www.psicolor.de