What inspired your interest in Moog?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
nicholas d. kent

Re: What inspired your interest in Moog?

Post by nicholas d. kent » Sun May 29, 2011 3:37 pm

I saw an ad from Radio Shack selling the Concertmate new for $250, half original price. I knew the Moog name from Carlos and Tomita, knew it was obviously a little one but I was surprised I could afford one and get it locally, well I did strike out at the nearest Radio Shack but they found another store that had one for me. So it was both Moog albums and Radio Shack not being able to sell them at full price.

Rob Smith

Post by Rob Smith » Sun May 29, 2011 5:55 pm

I was hooked after I saw ELP in August of 1972 at Saratoga performing arts center with my older brother. Pictures at an Exhibition and Tarkus live! It doesn't get better.Emerson was beyond talented back then. By 1974 I was into anything associated with Jan Hammer.The First Seven Days Etc. No one can play Minimoog like that Guy.
Last edited by Rob Smith on Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Analog Organist

Post by The Analog Organist » Sun May 29, 2011 7:29 pm

In the late 70's and early 80's, the strange word "Moog" kept appearing in all the music I listened to. I probably thought it was a type of animal at first. I finally figured out what the thing was. When I eventually started playing in bands, I bought a Model D; it was about 1984. I sure wish I still owned it.
Last edited by The Analog Organist on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Technician Larry

Post by Technician Larry » Mon May 30, 2011 12:35 pm

Niko wrote: And thirdly I was magically attracked by the J.S. Bach model and the wonderful arrangement behind and on the floor of male rectangular structures mixed with female round shapes indicating an infinite amound of power to rule the empire of sound on the Switched-on Bach cover from Wendy Carlos.
Unless there was another, later version, that I'm not aware of, I believe it is significant to note that Wendy Carlos did not record Switched On Bach. That was WALTER Carlos (before the name+ change).

My sister gave me a copy of the Whole Earth Catalog. Unrelated to anything else listed in the catalog was a Moog Model 55. I thought that was very significant at the time and decided to save the catalog. Somewhere, among boxes of old books stored in the basement waiting for me to finish the library shelves in the office, I believe I still have that catalog - 1972 I think.

A few years later after working at Tektronix for 5 years I decided it was time to merge my three top career interests - electronics, music and self employment. I started a business repairing music equipment in Portland, OR. A couple of music stores were lobbying to get a local Moog warranty station and recommended me to Moog Music. I had been scrambling for just a few short months to get my first business together so when Moog offered to pay transportation and per diem to go to Moog factory training in Buffalo how could I refuse? 34 years later I still have vivid memories of that trip.

Christopher Winkels

Post by Christopher Winkels » Tue May 31, 2011 6:51 am

I used to have an almost complete collection of Keyboard magazines in the late '80s and early '90s. I couldn't afford a lot of gear, but I could afford to buy up old back issues for 50 cents a pop at local second hand book stores. That gave me a decent fundamental grounding in what was then considered "obsolete" synthesizer technology (this was back when MIDI was a must on every piece of gear and there was an almost perverse desire to have as few controls on the face of a synth as possible).

To my eyes, the Moog ads in old back issues of those old Keyboard magazine from the '70s were always better than ARP ads. Seriously. It was their graphic design ethos rather than any particular sonic qualities that made Moog more appealing to me. Well, that and ARP seemed to be played by what I then considered to be a rather naff collection of artists, whereas Moog had a bit of cachet.

Full disclosure: since that time my tastes have become significantly more broadminded.

Johnny_Cradle

Post by Johnny_Cradle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:47 am

Seeing the MiniMoog in Portishead's Live in Roseland NYC tape. (keep in mind I said "Seeing"). Then realizing it was Moogs all over the 90s West Coast rap tunes that I listen to. Then seeing the LP in a music store in Cape Town and thought: Oh SNAP CRACKLE POP. A MOOG? Money, Buy. Now I sleep next to it everynight and have nightmares if i don't.
http://www.johnnycradle.com/ | Little Phatty SII | Fender Rhodes 88

ollie633

Post by ollie633 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:06 pm

Gary numan, was the one who got me into the Moogs, that beautiful Polymoog and that deep moog bass WOW!

Never looked back since!

analogmadness

Post by analogmadness » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:09 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_TcszezOVE
this one and allot of madonna's first album.
Didnt know why when they came out but now i know 8)

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:07 pm

I always wondered what made Dre and Snoop's albums so nice to listen to until I realized it was recycled PFunk.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:27 pm

Back in the olde days, Radio Shack was an actual place to go if you were an electronics hobbyist, CB enthusiast or even hi-fi nerd. They were kind of like Ace Hardware. You could be sure that if they did not have it, the folks that work there would point you in the right direction. This was way before RC cars and cellphones became their bread and butter.
So my first exposure to the Moog was the (Moog) Realistic MG1 at the local Radio Shack. I would spend hours making beep boop noises with it. Sweeping the filter and modulating the tone until the sales guys would run me out of the store.
I still need to get a Phatty and a Mini. Wouldnt mind a taurus. But I am very happy with my MG1!
Taurus III, Digitone, Dark Energy, OB6, MG1, Grandmother, Blofeld

lewis.michel

Post by lewis.michel » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:20 am

its name'MOOG' :D
The great Limousine What else you need?

museslave

Post by museslave » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:00 pm

Technician Larry wrote:Unless there was another, later version, that I'm not aware of, I believe it is significant to note that Wendy Carlos did not record Switched On Bach. That was WALTER Carlos (before the name+ change).
Actually, Wendy was in the midst of the process of change during the making of Switched On Bach. The album was released under "Walter" because Columbia didn't want to deal with the various new and confusing issues associated with the change.
This is why it is so offensive that so many feel compelled to point out the name change, etc. whenever S-OB is mentioned... as if somehow, it's relevant in regard to the masterpiece of synthesis and recording which that album is.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:49 pm

Yeah WC's choices are fodder for just about everyone who brings her name up. Sad part is, if any ever spoke to her they would find out she is very nice. She is so beyond all that nonsense.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:06 pm

EricK wrote:Yeah WC's choices are fodder for just about everyone who brings her name up. Sad part is, if any ever spoke to her they would find out she is very nice. She is so beyond all that nonsense.
Agreed.

In fact the first issues of SOB didn't carry any name at all, not even `Walter' Carlos. After that first run they carried the name Walter Carlos. All recent and current releases carry the name Wendy Carlos, so it might be both pertinent and courteous to refer to `Wendy Carlos' even when discussing early influences.

Certainly in my own experience I first encountered those early albums with the name `Walter Carlos' on them, but now I find it impossible to think of the musician who created them as anyone other than Wendy. But in the final analysis, the reasons for the change of name are personal ones outside the scope of the music itself, which is what we're discussing here.
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

diddi_jo

Post by diddi_jo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:59 pm

When I was a wee lad in the late seventies, my dad played track for me from an Edgar Winter Band album. He told me it was a Moog (as a general concept for a synthesizer) that made all the weird noises. I was fascinated and always dreamed of having a Moog. It turned out that Edgar Winter was playing an ARP 2600, but that's besides the point.
A little later there were albums such as Geoff Wayne's War of the Worlds, and then of course the whole synth era of the eighties.
I actually only got my first Moog synth, a LP, a couple of years ago, but have had several synths since I was a kid, including Roland's SH-2, Juno 60 and Jupiter 8 as well as man others. All seem to have their individual strengths, but none so distinct as the Moog. Nowadays I mainly use the Little Phatty alongside a Fender Rhodes Stage MkI and a DSI Prophet 8.

Regards, Sid
Voyager OS, Prophet 08, Rhodes MkI 73, NordLead2 and more...