"Huge" New Project?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
metron

Re: "Huge" New Project?

Post by metron » Fri May 06, 2011 1:00 pm

While i dont disagree with what is being discussed overall, cmon. Really? Its just a new website design. I think it looks pretty sharp. Relax a bit. It doesnt look like moog has sold their souls. They are a good business trying to stay viable in a tough economic climate. Marketing is not inherently evil! :mrgreen: did you guys actually check it out? Some cool new stuff especially from the moog foundation.
MF102, MF104M, CP251, Minitaur

filosofem

Post by filosofem » Fri May 06, 2011 2:48 pm

Amos wrote:I think means "tells the story of the Moog brand in a dynamic and exciting way"
I like it, the new website. Thank you for sharing.

Aaron Mulqueen
Aaron Mulqueen: Moog Subsequent 37 - MF 104M

Vince Ascoli

Post by Vince Ascoli » Fri May 06, 2011 3:10 pm

I think it looks great, and I'm enjoying the new content :D I have to admit that I had hopes that the Huge New Project was the 'PolyVoyager Rack', but the redesigned site will be a nice place to show the product off, once they've finished making it :wink:
Voyager Select Maple Jade, Voyager Aluminum, Xpander, OB-8, Prophet~6, Virus Ti Pølar, DX5

MC

Post by MC » Fri May 06, 2011 5:00 pm

Wow nice redesign
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Fri May 06, 2011 5:21 pm

metron wrote:While i dont disagree with what is being discussed overall, cmon. Really? Its just a new website design.
When I read that Ithought at first you were going to say it's just a new website, not a `huge new project.' I'm inclined to agree with the guy who said a `huge new project' would have been something like a PolyVoyager Rack.

I can't say I've been very impressed with Moog for quite a while now. Their descent into meaningless management speak is only one example. Their calling the first synth since Bob died the `Little Phatty' was the first sign of weird thinking. (Ok, some people liked the name. Some people always will. Many thought it was utterly stupid.).

Then there was the Freq Box. Again, some people like the thing, but everyone I've ever discussed it with has been shocked at how absolutely awful it sounds. I'll revise judgment if I ever hear anything remotely musical from it, but that seems unlikely. I think the best comment (I won't say who from, but it was someone well respected) was that Bob Moog might have made such a thing out of curiosity, but no way would he ever have marketed it.

And then there was the fiasco last year when Moog allowed someone else to go online and publish what sounded to anyone outside America like some kind of statement of political affiliation by the company. Once it was clarified and explained to people outside America it turned out to have been some stupid unconsidered joke by some advertising company speaking on Moog's behalf, but until that was clarified it made Moog look extremely dubious and was cause for serious concern. How Moog ever allowed the situation to happen is beyond belief.

I have to say I find my Moog synth a fulfilling instrument to play, but I don't feel any pleasure in owning a Moog and being part of the Moog heritage or whatever. Moog today is more often an embarassment than anything I feel positive about. I'd like to see that situation change, but when a `huge new project' turns out to be a mere website revamp with management speak for text I really don't feel very inspired by that.
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

metron

Post by metron » Fri May 06, 2011 6:16 pm

Uh... well... if that stuff bothers you then thats cool. I just thought that taking a new website design to the level of brain washing propaganda was blowing it out of proportion. I grow so weary of internet forums where things get blown out of proportion all the time. Its a big part of the reason i like smaller quieter forums like this one.
MF102, MF104M, CP251, Minitaur

The Analog Organist

Post by The Analog Organist » Fri May 06, 2011 11:37 pm

How could a discussion about "management speech" not include references to "politically correct" speech? That's the form of Newspeak we have in America.
Last edited by The Analog Organist on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nikola

Post by nikola » Sat May 07, 2011 5:40 am

I dont like the name Voyager, its like Andromeda, or Virus or something. Its a simple monosynth, not a spacecraft carrie. I think Little Phatty is more in the spirit of Moog. Even moog sounds funy :) MiniMoog. it was moog and its was mini.

New site is OK.

EDIT

And one more thing: everyone are blaming manufactures for producing junk. But who is baying that junk? We do, i can see it every day. So if you need to blame someone for something, don't be a hypocrite, and blame as all, including yourself. :)
was i pushed or did i fall ?

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Sat May 07, 2011 6:32 am

nikola wrote:I dont like the name Voyager, its like Andromeda, or Virus or something. Its a simple monosynth, not a spacecraft carrie. I think Little Phatty is more in the spirit of Moog. Even moog sounds funy :) MiniMoog. it was moog and its was mini.
Well, I agree about Virus. That's as stupid as anything else. But it's nothing to do with Andromeda or Voyager.

As for Moog sounding funny, it was Bob Moog's name. :roll:

Incidentally the first piece I ever did with the Voyager was a long piece to get me used to the instrument and explore its possibilities. It was called Voyager and was based on the missions of the Voyager space probes. If I'd bought a Little Phatty when it appeared I wouldn't have been particularly inspired to make a piece about fat people.
nikola wrote:And one more thing: everyone are blaming manufactures for producing junk. But who is baying that junk? We do, i can see it every day. So if you need to blame someone for something, don't be a hypocrite, and blame as all, including yourself. :)
Well if I need an instrument I'm going to buy it, regardless, though if the name is offputting it may sway me if I'm choosing between two or more possibilities. Having something that sounds stupid becomes a small embarrasment every time it's mentioned, and I can do without that. I use a V-Synth. If it had been called a V-Sign I'd still use it, but I'd curse Roland every time I mentioned it, and the name would make me reluctant to draw attention to its use in anything I played. As it is I'm happy to feature it in my music and say so.
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Sat May 07, 2011 6:46 am

The Analog Organist wrote:How could a discussion about "management speech" not include references to "politically correct" speech? That's the form of Newspeak we have in America. You can't say this and you can't say that; you can't mention this group or you're called racist, and you can't mention that group or your called phobic. Everything is tolerance, diversity, multi-culturalism, and opennness. And if you express opinions or convictions outside of these sacred PC borders, you risk being labeled a fundamentalist or terrorist, and the ACLU may pay you a little visit. And as for the vocabulary. Use the word "community" and the expression "moving forward" until you're blue in the face. That's Newspeak, American style.
Yes, I agree, though I didn't mention it before because it didn't apply to the kind of business speak being discussed, and we risk getting bogged down in endless misunderstandings and problems in discussing it.

I think that's been the major legacy of so-called political correctness - its distorted and confused discussions so much that massive problems occur when trying to have meaningful dialogue. What started with the laudable aim of protecting people from discrimination has become a tool for political agendas and discrimination. But in my view anything you `can't say' is a problem. Not only don't I welcome arbitrary limitations on what I say, but I'd also prefer other people to be able to express themselves freely so I know where I am with them, whether I agree or disagree.

Ultimately I mistrust anyone who wants to avoid plain speaking.

nikola

Post by nikola » Sat May 07, 2011 6:58 am

Sweep wrote: As for Moog sounding funny, it was Bob Moog's name. :roll:
Yes, I know, it is funny (funky) sounding to my ears :)

I just do not see any politics in names, like LP has some deeper meaning or something, and moogmusic betrayed there god because they choose a "stupid" name for a synth. I like to think it is named after little fat star from the space :)
was i pushed or did i fall ?

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Sat May 07, 2011 7:10 am

nikola wrote:I just do not see any politics in names, like LP has some deeper meaning or something, and moogmusic betrayed there god because they choose a "stupid" name for a synth. I like to think it is named after little fat star from the space :)
No-one has said Little Phatty has any deeper meaning. Nor has anyone said Moog betrayed Bob Moog. I did say the company has done things I don't think Bob Moog would have done (he had a great sense of humour, but it wasn't forced and it was appropriate).

Basically I've had this experience many times. I draw attention to something because I can see a large number of signs of problems. Other people don't see the overall picture and focus on small details, often misunderstanding them along the way. Then, often a few years later, the thing I warned about happens just as I predicted, and people turn to me and say "wow, you were right." Very often I'd like to have been wrong. Over the last few years I've seen what look to be signs of Moog trading on the past and at the same time losing the things that established the Moog name in the first place. I can sympathise with the company's problems because it's difficult to stay in business and you have to move forward, and synthesizers are a very funny market. But in trying to move forward it's all too easy to move sideways and backward and lose what you had. Time will tell.
Last edited by Sweep on Sun May 08, 2011 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Analog Organist

Post by The Analog Organist » Sat May 07, 2011 9:45 am

By the way, I really like Moog's new website. There's far more information and history on it than the old one had, and the images are better.
Last edited by The Analog Organist on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Sun May 08, 2011 5:06 am

The Analog Organist wrote:How could a discussion about "management speech" not include references to "politically correct" speech? That's the form of Newspeak we have in America. You can't say this and you can't say that; you can't mention this group or you're called racist, and you can't mention that group or your called phobic. Everything is tolerance, diversity, multi-culturalism, and opennness. And if you express opinions or convictions outside of these sacred PC borders, you risk being labeled a fundamentalist or terrorist, and the ACLU may pay you a little visit. And as for the vocabulary. Use the word "community" and the expression "moving forward" until you're blue in the face. That's Newspeak, American style.
:lol:
Are you americans trying to imitate silly german habits or does it happen vice versa?
The politically correct way to call people that have this nice black skin changes every 4 years here. And if you don't wanna be a nazi, never ever use the word race. There is no alternative word, just don't talk about races! Very important!
If you're talking about philosophy, i also recomment never mentioning Marx or nobody will take you seriously any more.

IMO this is a bad developement. German had this terrible third reich where all nightmares you can imagine (even more...) came true. It's very important to keep the history in mind, it should never happen again. But beeing politically correct often prevents serious conversations :?

New website looks nice but requires JavaScript which is known to be responsible for very much security issues
http://www.psicolor.de

moognase

Post by moognase » Sun May 08, 2011 2:14 pm

Nice website. I enjoy looking at the pictures, especially the older ones. Maybe now they've got some time for a "small" project, such as designing a new, small, oldschool synthesizer with a small name and a small price-tag.

:mrgreen: