Laptop PC Recommendations

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Scott Rolf

Laptop PC Recommendations

Post by Scott Rolf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:36 pm

I'm going to be purchasing a new laptop for my little home studio and need something that can interface via midi with a keyboard controller. Prefer PC to Mac. Essentially I'm needing to know which brand/s you prefer, soundcards, inputs/outputs etc. I've been using Dell for years for my daily email/internet use and have had NO issues. Any suggestions are welcome of course. Thanks.
Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid

HB3

Re: Laptop PC Recommendations

Post by HB3 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:41 pm

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:42 pm

My family has had good luck with Toshiba.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Scott Rolf

Post by Scott Rolf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:22 pm

Yea, I ran across this the other night whilst on my search and thought it was a pretty cool idea. This would eliminate the need for a special midi IN on the computer. Now I just need to zero in on a new PC. The only thing I don't like about Dell is having to order it online without seeing it first hand. That and I don't like to wait for one to be built and deliverd. I'm just trying to eliminate the usual sales pitch I would get from a floor person at the local retailer. I need some good first-hand user suggestions.

Thanks.

Scott Rolf

Post by Scott Rolf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:23 pm

EricK wrote:My family has had good luck with Toshiba.
Thanks Erick.

Niko

Post by Niko » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:41 am

I have very good experiences with Mac Books. In the meantime I have four. Two of them with Intel processors. And that is really good because I use Windows (I have XP) and OSX on the same machine. Via bootcamp two independend machines per Mac are achieved. But also you have the possibility to use the Parallels-option (or other emulators) to run Windows inside the Mac OS operating system. In other words you get a maximum flexibility and you can use every software for both Windows and Mac environments.
And the availability (at least in Germany) is pretty good too. You can get Macs in almost every department store side by side with Toshibas, HPs and others. So you don't have to wait. And if you buy it from such a department store you may can get an extra service in configurating the Mac with Windows on it too. In an Apple shop this is not so easy to achieve (I think it's impossible).
And yes, HB3's recommendation of the m-audio Midi-USB-cable is working excellent with the Macs and my Voyager (or other Midis).
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Where is the tutti button on this instrument? ...

magnet

Post by magnet » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:49 am

Hi-
I have the m-audio interface, and it works very well with Midi-Ox on PCs. FWIW- If a computer is going to be stationary, why not a desktop unit ? You can mix and match cards, monitors, and upgrades to the hardware for years. Laptops aren't so flexible, but then I like to tweak things (and knobs.)
Good luck !
Voyager PE/ Frostwave Fatcontroller Seq./ Korg Dw-8000/Little Phatty Tribute #188/Korg EX-8000/KP3-Kaoss Pad/ EH Deluxe Memory Man delay effect/Peavy KB-100 amp

Scott Rolf

Post by Scott Rolf » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:55 pm

Thanks for all of the input folks.
Just so I'm sure to cover all the software bases that may be used, what would you recommend for the minimum power in processors, RAM, hard drive and sound cards? I want to make sure I'm not under shooting the mark but not going overboard either.

Thanks again,

magnet

Re PC Recommendations

Post by magnet » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:55 pm

The hotter you buy, the longest before you have to upgrade is the general advice. A 4gb RAM, dual (at least) core 2.9ghz processor, or better, A pci-e video card with 1 gb memory ,( I like ASUS brand, with separate cooler fins/fan)) And a 1TB drive. I prefer 2 drives (Seagate Enterprise) in RAID, But an on-line back-up service is less expensive if you have a broadband connection. And look for an LED-backlit monitor. 23" is a good starting point, I like Viewsonic. As far as sound cards go, I am comfortable with Creatives top of the line, but there are many specialty cards out there. If I were truly a "studio", I bet I would run all sound through a mixer, and not use many (if any) sound card direct-outs.

I hope that X-P pro is good for a long time to come. Not that I am resistant to change, but IT WORKS !

Hope this helps.

PS- My on-line system is an HP-based Desktop. Not Hot-modded. It's reliable. I just like my Home-built better.
Also- "tomshardware.com" for plans, "insight.com" and newegg.com" for parts can get you great prices. Building your own system is rewarding, and you get what you want. best--->
Voyager PE/ Frostwave Fatcontroller Seq./ Korg Dw-8000/Little Phatty Tribute #188/Korg EX-8000/KP3-Kaoss Pad/ EH Deluxe Memory Man delay effect/Peavy KB-100 amp

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:36 pm

Just a note that I can 2nd the motion that Windows can work pretty well on a Mac.
Bootcamp is good, but makes you choose one OS or the other and rebooting.
I'm running XP using VirtualBox (free!) and can have a separate window open for each operating system, clipboard sharing, no rebooting, etc.
I had to purchase Windows separately though.
You'd probably save money buying a PC laptop.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:51 am

Sager Laptops are very well made.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

Scott Rolf

Post by Scott Rolf » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:20 pm

Well here's what I ended up with and it's working quite well......
Mac Mini with a dual processor and 4 GB RAM
Mac wireless keyboard and magic mouse
Viewsonic HD monitor
M-Audio Fast Track Pro audio interface
Akai MPK 49 keyboard midi controller

I'm just using it to run my synth and m-tron plug in's (plus some recording software) and it's all working out great. Got everything from Sweetwater (no sales tax and shipping) to keep the price point down and glad I did. Great support....

So....all's well that ends well.

Thanks folks for all the help