Korg Monotribe

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
johnll

Korg Monotribe

Post by johnll » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Okay, I just did a search to make sure someone else didn't post this topic first. :)

Some other synth forums are already either abuzz or aflame over this one. I'd be curious to know peoples' likes/dislikes. For a product no one's seen yet. :wink:

What do I know so far? No MIDI, and rumored price of 200 Euros (from a German forum) so maybe 250 bucks US.

Kenneth

Re: Korg Monotribe

Post by Kenneth » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:11 pm

I'm watching some youtube videos on it now. It sounds awesome! I want one.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:32 am

i don't like the sound of the korg synths
http://www.psicolor.de

gonzodada

Post by gonzodada » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:44 am

I was going to say ... I love it, what's not to like?

But I've just clocked the price point, it is around £200.

Now the Monotron at £40 was a steal. For the price of a good night out on the lash you can have a little box of pure analogue fun. Well worth staying in for an evening surely?

But £200 is a fair bit more. I think it's about right and I'd pay it but I think it will deter the floating voters as it were.

It will sell but not in the same numbers as the Monotron.

xmit

Post by xmit » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:08 pm

£169 inc delivery - just ordered mine ;-)

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:25 pm

I played a Monotron the other day at Guitar Center - fun little device, good for making noise, didn't like the sawtooth (?) LFO though - the LFO choices on the Monotribe are a lot more appealing...

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:25 pm

Regarding the Monotron, I think Korg would have been on to even more of a winner if they'd equipped it with a MIDI in socket. I don't know whether they've amended that with the Monotribe. [EDIT: I've just re-read the original post. It seems they haven't.]

There was some talk on the Hawkwind forum earlier this year about several people making tracks between them using the Monotron by passing recordings back and to and processing them and adding to them. It's intended to put up a Monotron website to host these tracks, but that's had to take a back seat because of other projects.

I found I could massively develop the sound of the Monotron with some signal processing. One of the tracks I did with the Monotron website in mind has ended on as a track on a projected album, and I'm told one of the ex-Hawkwind people has added some vocals to it, though I haven't heard the result yet. So this apparently simple fun toy can have serious musical applications. A lot can be done with very little sometimes.

The Monotribe wasn't on the horizon when the Monotron site and the idea of jointly making music was discussed, so I don't know how it might add to things. But if anyone's interested in making shared music with the Monotron, or having their Monotron music hosted on a website, let me know.
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

Niko

Post by Niko » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:53 am

the new Monotribe at least looks interesting. In the meantime we've some fairly good experiences with the pocket Monotron. Particular as an extension with our Theremins to use the external filter input very cheap but official sound quality is achieved. And yes, the Korg sound has it's own character which you may like or dislike. In an ensemble I think it can be inserted frutifully.
Korg Monotron with Moog Theremin.jpg
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Where is the tutti button on this instrument? ...