Hidden Gem

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Kenneth

Hidden Gem

Post by Kenneth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:46 pm

My wife's band played a show last night, and I sat and talked with her bassist beforehand. We got on the subject of synthesizers, and he mentioned that he had an old synth in his basement. I asked what it was, and it took a while for him to remember, but eventually I found out he had a Moog Satellite! It doesn't work, but he said what happened was that it used to work fine, then when someone was moving things around in his basement it got dropped. He had opened it up and found there was a solder point that had disconnected. He said I could come by and pick it up if I wanted to try and fix it, so I'm really excited!

Any cool treasure stories from the rest of you?
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

EricK

Re: Hidden Gem

Post by EricK » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:17 pm

I don't know if this would constitute as a treasure story or not...

My fathers ex brother in law (yeah that was complicated) bought a MicroMoog, got tired of it and mailed it to my father. Not quite a hidden treasure kind of thing, but a free Moog nontheless.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:23 pm

EricK wrote:I don't know if this would constitute as a treasure story or not...

My fathers ex brother in law (yeah that was complicated) bought a MicroMoog, got tired of it and mailed it to my father. Not quite a hidden treasure kind of thing, but a free Moog nontheless.
Sure that counts! I've never played a vintage synth before, being a Little Phatty owner, and I'm really looking forward to trying it out once I get it fixed.

How is the Micro treating you?
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:27 pm

THe micro is in relatively good condition. It is pretty stable most of the time. Sometimes when you flip some of the switches it detunes a little. Most of the keys are str8, but I think that replacing the bushings in there would be nice. It is a 35 year old machine, it probably needs recalibrating and perhaps a little TLC here and there, but it is very nice for a 1 osc synth and I have recorded with it extensively.

I tried to sequence it and it wasn't staying in pitch that well, but I couldn't tell if it was because I used a long cable or because it has issues that are beyond me to diagnose. Its a great little machine despite its wood laminate sides! Probably one of the most underrated synths of the Moog line.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.