Minimoog Model D

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
andyalibi

Minimoog Model D

Post by andyalibi » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:26 am

I have a Minimoog Model D gathering dust. (A deep crime I know.) Used and has the scratches to prove it but otherwise fully working beast (or was when it was last used in studio approx ten years ago). Midi retrofit done in the 90s. I'm wondering what its current value is. Had a look on ebay but nothing there. Any ideas anyone?
Front
Front
Attachments
Back
Back

Just Me

Re: Minimoog Model D

Post by Just Me » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:02 pm

$75

or whatever the market will bear for a non working Minimoog.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

andyalibi

Post by andyalibi » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:12 pm

Where in my description does it say that its not working? In fact it says its FULLY WORKING. Some tracks it featured on are here:
http://www.myspace.com/manitouuk

LaxSlash1993

Post by LaxSlash1993 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:25 pm

On EBay, a stock Minimoog usually goes for around $2000 - $3000 USD in good condition. It would probably be a good idea if you plugged it in and tested it out. Since yours has a MIDI mod, it can either add or take away from the value, depending on how you look at it (like I wouldn't add value, since I'm more into stock gear, unless I mod it myself, and I wouldn't really mod vintage gear.) Yours is definitely not in the worst cosmetic condition I've seen.

If you get it serviced, then you'll probably be able to sell it for more. However, be warned, because depending on what needs to be done to it, it can get expensive.

But, I would definitely plug it in and see if it works. Make sure you test everything that you can on it. It most likely will need a calibration, make sure you mention that in your ad. Unless you take it to a tech, then they should calibrate it for you.

As far as the ad, it would be a good idea to take a video of the Mini being played. Nothing fancy, but just hit a few notes, and turn knobs, and use the switches and wheels, and show the MIDI functionality on it, too. Not required, but probably a good idea.

But, to put it simple, in the long run, it depends on how good it works.

andyalibi

Post by andyalibi » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:00 pm

@LaxSlash - hey dude thats real useful info. I know machine is working, I just haven't used it for years. Of course i'll check it all out in the studio before i try sell...and the video showing it in action is a hot tip defo. I'll see about doing that and posting on YT. As for calibrating it, that could be tricky given lack of experienced analogue techs round these parts but i'll look into it. Thanks a lot.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:37 am

repairs+ callibrations+ keyboard revisions normally set you back something like 350 about

looks like a what newer minimoog( serial 10.000 + ? ), normal prices range from 2500 upwards.
2250 when unrevisioned, and looking not to good , to 3000 when revisioned and looking good. prices in europa mostly euro's instead of dollars
older serials might cost more, some of the very early ones cost a lot . never really understood why musicontypes sometimes should cost5000+. overall i prefer the 2000-3000 serials as best price/value/sound for the money.
having said this : all mini's sound somewhat different and often differences are exagerated
this all tmho

andyalibi

Post by andyalibi » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:25 am

@sunny pedaal - thanks a lot for this info, very useful. Serial number = 11174. Looks like it would be worth getting it callibrated if i could find someone local to do it. Cheers.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:45 am

also involve the capacitators ( at least the most important ones ) + the keyboard parts that need to be done at the present age ..
after that he should be good for years to come.
on the other hand you can sell him for , say minimum 2250, and let the work be done for the next owner. financially that might be a small profit maybe