VCA automation and analog synths

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Unfiltered

VCA automation and analog synths

Post by Unfiltered » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:22 pm

I work with a SSL 9000 analog console, and learned that the mechanical moving faders work by control voltage. The CVs are recorded as data onto a floppy disc. But when you play back the automation, the faders move and you get a smooth fade, because the data stored is only changes in CV, not the CV themselves. Its pretty simple when you think about it, but then why cant the manufacturers of analog synths produce a similar system? It seems like to me when using midi data to change parameters, its almost always unusable (unless youre going for that effect) because of stepping. I have not used the Volta program, so I dont know how smooth the sweeps are, but it seems like storing and playing back smooth sweeps are a large void in the analog domain, and maybe something like the SSL automation could be the answer. Has anyone used Volta, and can they attest to the smoothness of its sweeps?

museslave

Re: VCA automation and analog synths

Post by museslave » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:43 am

Well, it could be because most analog synths already have VCA automation in the form of the envelope generator?
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:28 pm

There's the Modcan CV recorder module and the Flame Clockwork can record its CVs in a limited capacity (plus they have a knob recorder on the horizon). I haven't tried Volta but I hear it generates relatively smooth CVs.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:39 pm

It has to do with whether or not the synth (and recording mechanism aka sequencer) is 14-bit midi capable. Standard 7-bit midi will only store values of 0..127 and as you said, "stepping".

The latest Phatty-line code (3.03) supports 14 bit midi but that doesn't mean that every CC will map appropriately. You're DAW, hardware sequencer, or Midi controller kbd must also support it. See the Slim Phatty documentation and specifically the 3.03 release notes.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:52 pm

Fwiw, volume (VCA) stepping is usually less noticeable than pitch or filter CV stepping.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

Unfiltered

Post by Unfiltered » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:01 am

Yeah, something about the inability of the ear to differentiate close tones makes pitch bend more usable for digital. As for the EG, I understand what youre saying but is it possible to get automations on an analog EG that last several minutes? But my point and question is that why cant a hybrid synth like the phatty or something store changes in CV and play them back with variable glide time (like the SSL )? It seems like a feature that would have made its way to analog synths as far back as the 70s, when VCA automation on analog consoles was invented, especially by Oberheim, who was into the hybrid stuff early. Maybe they were all blinded by the MIDI storm. All of the SSL 9000:s automations for entire mixes can be stored on a small floppy. Would have been easy to implement on a synth.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:40 am

In the '70s, memory was very pricey.

HowardJones

Post by HowardJones » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:26 am

You can to some extent overcome stepping by sending the offending CV via a slew limiter. I've resorted to that before.
Two Slim Phatties 313 and 354- DSI Tetra - DotCom System - Korg Poly 800 - Yamaha DX27 & RS7000 + Matching Moog Pocket Protectors

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:08 am

Another way might be to use the full CC range of the voltage, but then attenuate it before it reaches it's destination.
(A range of 5 octaves using 127 steps is quite noticeable, but 2 semitones using 127 steps might not be.)