new oberheim 4 voice

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
David Bulog

new oberheim 4 voice

Post by David Bulog » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:50 am

http://gsfagency.com/so4v.html

just a FYI
"SON OF 4 VOICE's SEMs bring back vintage '70s design ... 100% discrete analog ... absolutly no custom chips.

The audio that screams from an SEM is fat, fine and funky, with a tonal variety unlike any other sound-generating device on this rock we call home. Gang up four of these monsters, and you've got sounds that're thicker than thunder.

SO4V can be used as a 4-voice polyphonic synth or as 4 individual synths under MIDI control. Two SO4Vs can be ganged together to create an 8-voice.

The Polyphonic Voice Control and Programmer section retains all the features of the original Four Voice Programmer and Keyboard control modules, while adding gotta-have-'em goodies like these:
• Two MIDI sync capable LFOs with multiple waveshapes including sample and hold per voice
•Two programmable ADSR envelope generators per voice
• Selectable master tuning (both VCOs or VCO2 only) allows easy detuning for huge unison sounds
• Polyphonic portamento with linear or exponential response
• Noise generator connected to filter input #1
• External audio or A440 tuning reference connected to filter input #2
• Updated output module with mix and pan control for each voice
• Two SO4Vs can be easily connected together - result: eight voices!

Each SO4V is equipped with a Tom Oberheim signature plate.

The Tom Oberheim SON OF 4 VOICE will bring classic audio whomp to your arsenal of sounds. There's nothing else like it anywhere.

Specifications subject to change.

SO4V availability: May 2011 / Price: $3,495. To pre-order contact Geoff Farr at 310-995-0100 or via email: geoff (at) gsfagency (dot) com

SEM-related product questions may be directed to Tom Oberheim: tom (at) tomoberheim (dot) com"

EricK

Re: new oberheim 4 voice

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:27 am

"Theres nothing else like it anywhere"

Okay Moog, You have been challenged!

This to me is just a great example of how the monster synths are starting to come back. We are in a huge Modular Boom right now, and this could be a sign of things to come!

Im very excited!

Would that not look fantastic with some modcan modules?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:27 am

certainly nice, but no memories , and for evey edit 8 times the same button moving when you want to play it polyfonic.
i'd prefer an 8 voice voyager. the price range would be hard to beat though

MC

Post by MC » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:15 pm

It does have memories. That's the programmer in the extreme left slot. However the programmer is no better than the original FVS - doesn't record filter resonance, VCO waveforms, modulation routings, etc.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:47 pm

I don't see a whole lot of of jacks on it and Oberheim tends to use 1/8" jacks for CV and Gates, while Moog and Modcan products prefer 1/4" jacks.

Either way, I wonder which is worse?
Spam that advertises products that don't compete with Moog's products at all or advertising other synth makers on a board specifically made for Moog products.
The description of this forum is "Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics."
Somehow I don't think Moog's intent was to pay for advertising their competitor's products here.

Or do people post about new Chevys on the Ford forum too? ;-)
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:41 pm

it's only 1 topic,
and for an exceptional , analog , product
of ,presumable , good quality

i feel it might enrich the moogforum to sometimes reflect on products like this ob4-reissue

MC

Post by MC » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:21 pm

Also don't forget that the pic is a cgi, not a photo of the actual instrument.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:13 pm

MC wrote:Also don't forget that the pic is a cgi, not a photo of the actual instrument.
Yeah, I noticed that. While I doubt it'll be vaporware, it does appear that marketing efforts have been placed ahead of manufacturing this time. I wonder if they're seeking pre-orders?

One other question, did they finally add "keyboard" (MIDI) VCF tracking?
That was always something I missed when I owned my own 4 and 8 voice whiteface Oberheims.
I've added a noise source to 4 voices before tho. That was a smart move.
Only their 2 voice instruments previously featured it.
The big question will be "Where's the patch panel?" ;-)

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Imagine a Whitewash Voyager (or a Black Cabinet Select with Lunar lighting), a couple of choise Lunar Foogers and the So4V all integrated into a healthy Modcan Module Compliement.......a visually stunning sonic force.

In the Voyager thread, this post is there also, comparing the price of the XL to this new beastie. I don't think they took into consideration the Slim Phatty.

It would be quite easy for Moog to build a tolex cabinet or something similar epecially to allow for Midi/CV ins and outs for each SP unit.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:32 pm

It would be quite easy for Moog to build a tolex cabinet or something similar epecially to allow for Midi/CV ins and outs for each SP unit.
If that was all that was necessary, it would be quite easy.
But everything is harder than it appears, whether engineering or playing an instrument.
Making a breakout box for an analog can require special considerations for wiring, connectors, layout, grounding, shielding and perhaps even active buffering and issues that come with that such as power draw, filtering, etc.
Cabinets aren't the hardest part.
Real-world excellence is and that takes lots of time and testing.
The last thing Moog or any manufacturer needs is to release a product where one small oversight means every unit requires modding, updates or even full replacement. (ask Toyota) ;-)

When I custom made a patch panel for 3 SEMs years ago, it took many weeks of designing and working with compromises.
Both myself and my client ran into all sorts of unforeseen issues, but it all started with "let's JUST build a patch panel." ;-)
... and I still didn't get the finish exactly the desired color either. :(

Here's some pics of that panel, fwiw:

http://www.synthfool.com/ob3panel.jpg
http://www.synthfool.com/ob3patch.jpg

PS: A larger one that supported 4 SEMs, a Mini-Sequencer and mult-channel MIDI was also done.
I have no decent pics of it around though.

Moog definitely needs to widen their modular offerings.
Moogerfoogers are cool and very useful, but they're a far cry from anything one can build-up a true modular from.
The XL is so far the closest Moog has come to providing a real-time modular environment that works as a self-contained package.
It makes the Korg MS-20 seem like a joke. (Patching an MS-20 is quite unlike patching a 'real' modular, in my opinion.)

moogyman

Post by moogyman » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:11 am

Kevin Lightner wrote:I don't see a whole lot of of jacks on it and Oberheim tends to use 1/8" jacks for CV and Gates, while Moog and Modcan products prefer 1/4" jacks.

Either way, I wonder which is worse?
Spam that advertises products that don't compete with Moog's products at all or advertising other synth makers on a board specifically made for Moog products.
The description of this forum is "Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics."
Somehow I don't think Moog's intent was to pay for advertising their competitor's products here.

Or do people post about new Chevys on the Ford forum too? ;-)
Personally, if Moog can't take the hint and keep on pushing out those lap steels.... their customers will buy Oberheims.

And I will also add, if Moog were to produce a poly beast with keyboard to compete with this, they won't be able to touch the price in a million years. I'm sick of the price gouging. Even if the Moog would be vastly superior in sound quality.

By the way, I totally dig a Chevy - but Honda smokes it.
Moogyman :lol:

Mandatory Cape Law: All keyboardists playing more than 4 keyboards at a gig must wear a cape. Unless one keyboard is a mellotron, then the keyboardist must wear a cape regardless of number.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:38 am

"I'm sick of the price gouging."

25 years ago, keyboards did less and cost much more.
Incomes have gone up, while prices of synths have mostly gone down.

Personally... ;-)... I'm sick of people who think companies like Moog owe them something that should look and sound great, rarely break, work great and somehow should cost less than ever before.

Perhaps Moog should pay their workers minimum wage or farm all their work off to China in order to meet your idea of what is fair to pay?

You can't even buy a TV made in the US any longer (especially using American parts) and there isn't a single car manufacturer (not one!) that doesn't have Chinese parts in it somewhere.

David Bulog

Post by David Bulog » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:14 am

I think the $3495 is fair (possibly underpriced because vintage 4 voices are priced around $50000 on Ebay--four slim phattys would cost the same so there is a choice now
Anyone here have a SEM ?
Thanks in advance
David

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:30 am

Honestly, with Modusonics going the way of Plan B (Which is truly a dissapointment to me), I am changing my synth ambitions.
I think its one thing to want something, but once you actually spend your hard earned cash for something, your goals change. I find myself having way too many Moog Lowpass Filters. I am interested in something like the Oberheim 4 voice because it's NOT Moog. I guess Im finally realizing what a lot of folks have been saying for years now about variety.

Id consider a new PolyMoog if the features were right, but I am really hoping that Moog does offer more modular stuff. I REALLY WISH that my Foogers were Double wide MU modules instead of stompboxes. They are really oversized for rack mounting. I love them so much but I have seen the light. I have more power in my rack than Im using and that will be changing soon.

I don't think I will be buying another monosynth unless I stumble upon a Model D somewhere, I have the cash and the price is right. The only exception is to expand for polyphony, but frankly Id rather have everything in one box.

I don't think Moog is price gouging though. I think if we could get Moog stuff for cost that would be fantastic, but probably not fantastic for Moog.

One has to take notice though that with the demise of the A6, there is a gaping hole in the Analog polysynth market now. Dave Smith is currently King, with a Definate challenge if this new SO4V sees the light of day. What does it say about Moog if they aren't behind the scenes designing something?

Theres just so much that I just don't know when it comes to the market for such instruments. I guess the question is "Are you willing to pay for what you expect from Moog?"

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:40 am

for the moment, with all moog gear i already have, my need for analog mono/ modular stuff is almost filled.
only waiting for the new dutch synton fenix2 ( + sequencer fenix3 ) to arrive somewhere this year !
75 being made, newly developed model , that should fulfill all modular needs over here.
a good poly replacement for the jp8 and a6 from moog would be a next thing to spare money for though.
what a time : so much choice on the moment in analog Instruments, who'd have thought of that situation a few years ago when all there seems to be left over was digital digital digital ?