Moog and eurorack kits

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
thecosmicorder

Moog and eurorack kits

Post by thecosmicorder » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:30 am

Hi
Are the eurorack analog gear such as tiptop , FOH, metasonix e.t.c compatible with moog? Tiptop audio has some good and affordable devices.wondering if i can use this with mooger foogers, sp, voyagers

nicholas d. kent

Re: Moog and eurorack kits

Post by nicholas d. kent » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:59 pm

For all intents, yes.

When you get into specifics a few things sometimes need something special to interface them.

It might be something incredibly simple like a cable with a phono plug on one end and a miniplug on the other (or alternately a Multiples module with different jacks) or something a bit more complex. For instance some vintage Moogs use S-Trigs rather than +5v gates to trigger envelopes.

ebo

Post by ebo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:32 am

hi ! no voyager ,freq box, ring mod ,filter ,MP201does not work with 1v oct.ebo

nicholas d. kent

Post by nicholas d. kent » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:16 am

I don't have an MP-201 so this is just guessing. It does say it puts out .667 to 1.33v/oct which sounds like it's adjustable to me.

One trick to fine tune things is using a mixer module meant for control voltage. One can simply trim down too high a voltage. You wouldn't necessarily need a whole mixer when you can do that with a simple attenuator, but a decent mixer should be buffered too. Then if you need more voltage you can feed what you have into 2 mixer inputs. Set one at 100% and bring up the second one until you have the right voltage. I guess what this method won't do is if your CV is already non-linear or what you are feeding it to is no longer responding linearly. But it does work fine for something like an EML, EMS or Buchla synth that is not 1v/oct (but not Hz/V either).

Oh, just another thing to mention for reference. Moog gear occasionally uses TRS ("stereo") phono plugs with a ring. I don't know what I did exactly but many years ago I didn't know that and was trying to interface a Moogerfooger with a modular and it didn't work correctly. Anyway, if faced with a TRS issue, one can get inexpensive adapter cables that split a TRS into 2 mono connections. With that you can use just the tip if that's what you need.

Soundchaser Labs

Post by Soundchaser Labs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:53 am

I am using a large Euro/Frac modular with 3 foogers; freq box, filter & murf. All is bliss & harmony.
Check out the pic's & sounds at,
http://www.myspace.com/gregborries