NAMM 2011 Speculation

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Jaguarfooger

NAMM 2011 Speculation

Post by Jaguarfooger » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:07 am

For the sake of claiming "I told you so" rights when the official word is out, does anyone want to venture any guesses about what suprises Moog might have in store for NAMM 2011? The convention will probably highlight The Moog Steel Guitar, Slim Phatty, Filtron, and Voyager XL...but could there be any other toys that they've been keeping extra super secret?

Make 3 guesses (or wishes) and let's see what happens between now and next month.

Jaguarfooger

Re: NAMM 2011 Speculation

Post by Jaguarfooger » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:23 am

1. An update to one of the existing Moogerfooger designs (either the Ring Mod or Freq Box)...Something that can handle pitch to CV (or MIDI) conversions

2. A unique CV/MIDI interface that, while designed for the Slim Phatty, can also be used to make other gear more playable....not a keyboard or ribbon controller--something that's like the MP 201, but also like the EMS Synthi; something with knobs and buttons and a joystick.

3. Moog will tackle the still fertile ground of tape-replay instruments and build something that innovates upon the Mellotron....An all-analog sample-based instrument with the range and flexibility of a Moog synthesizer.

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:15 am

...A really small and handy Moog keyboard controller with usb, midi and cv out and wooden end cheeks for use with the Slim Phatty and other gear would be nice... Don't think they would put out something like that though. We'll probably just see more of these embarrassing digital apps for iphones, ipads and the like... :?

HowardJones

Post by HowardJones » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:14 am

An update of the Voyager:
USB as well as SP style auto-tune for all 3 oscillators.
Two Slim Phatties 313 and 354- DSI Tetra - DotCom System - Korg Poly 800 - Yamaha DX27 & RS7000 + Matching Moog Pocket Protectors

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm not convinced that we'll see anything new (aside from SP and XL of course). Not Moog's style but I could be wrong.

Even the most savvy marketing firms release some sort of buzz so that blockbuster announcements may be more widely anticipated. I'm happy to be wrong but in order to make the biggest impact, Moog would either have to have speculation high or have a pre-announced press release event (which would be very much looked forward to by industry press).

What do I want? A CP-251 with Midi sync; a CP-251/VX-351 sized box that acts as a Midi arbitrator do affect round robin assignment of notes, distribution of patches (quick push of SysEx data) to all voices, and split point assignment to make the SPs (and LPs for that matter) infinitely more useful in a Poly scenario. Think of the 'ole Oberheim SEM 4/8 voices and how they leveraged the 'programmer' module. My vote is to leave the Phatty code alone (it's busy enough) and move this important bit of capability outside the box (and into a nice box).
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:18 pm

1. Voyager XL
2. SP
3. Moog Lap Steel
Next year's NAMM
Moog Clavinet and a new Fooger

Vince Ascoli

Post by Vince Ascoli » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:28 pm

For all the emphasis that Bob always placed on control, it honestly surprises me that Moog hasn't done anything in the way of a dedicated controller.
Can we get a 5-octave keyboard w/AT (not even gonna hope for polyAT), patch change, wheels/ribbon, MIDI/USB/cv_gate for starters, made of the wood of my choice w/colored wheels? It doesn't need transport controls, drum pads or whatever - just a simple, elegant controller that feels like an actual instrument.
Like an updated OB-Xk, only better...the market is full of plastic, throwaway crap. I've got a Yamaha KX25 on my desk here at the moment and while it's a cut above
(IMHO) most of the rest of the crop, it's crippled by skewing it towards Cubase (I understand that Yamaha has what they perceive to be a vested interest in doing that).
Would this be, like, a really big deal to make? I can't be the only one, who would buy this...
Voyager Select Maple Jade, Voyager Aluminum, Xpander, OB-8, Prophet~6, Virus Ti Pølar, DX5

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:48 pm

Vince Ascoli wrote:For all the emphasis that Bob always placed on control, it honestly surprises me that Moog hasn't done anything in the way of a dedicated controller.
Can we get a 5-octave keyboard w/AT (not even gonna hope for polyAT), patch change, wheels/ribbon, MIDI/USB/cv_gate for starters, made of the wood of my choice w/colored wheels? It doesn't need transport controls, drum pads or whatever - just a simple, elegant controller that feels like an actual instrument.
Like an updated OB-Xk, only better...the market is full of plastic, throwaway crap. I've got a Yamaha KX25 on my desk here at the moment and while it's a cut above
(IMHO) most of the rest of the crop, it's crippled by skewing it towards Cubase (I understand that Yamaha has what they perceive to be a vested interest in doing that).
Would this be, like, a really big deal to make? I can't be the only one, who would buy this...
I could go for one of these as well...but it would have to be priced somewhere in the $1500 range for me to even consider buying it.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:55 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
Vince Ascoli wrote:For all the emphasis that Bob always placed on control, it honestly surprises me that Moog hasn't done anything in the way of a dedicated controller.
I could go for one of these as well...but it would have to be priced somewhere in the $1500 range for me to even consider buying it.
You mean, you wouldn't buy it if it cost less than $1.500 ? (Just joking)

A controller would be quite sensible if it cost less than a Slim Phatty. Then people could choose whether they wanted a Little Phatty or a Slim Phatty-with-controller combo. The latter probably being more flexible...

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:56 pm

Here's what I see happening....

Since they've released quite a few new products this year, which were not teased at last years NAMM...

I doubt any new products are going to be released.

Not to say that they won't put on a show...

I have a feeling they will have a 4 Voice setup with the LP and 3 SP's to showcase what you can do with voice expanders... (The picture of the setup is already floating around, and Amos said he'd make a video of it for about 3 months now, I have a feeling they are holding out for NAMM)

As well as they will showcase the Voyager XL, Moog Lap Steel, and Filtatron, among all of their other foogers, voyager, lp etc.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:03 pm

I think I was semi-right.

Saw this on moog's facebook post for a duophonic video someone put up.

"The fellas at Source Dist., Moog Music's UK distributor, are at it again. This time they've posted a vid of a duophonic Moog Phatty: the Slim Phatty and Little Phatty chain. Wait til you see the fun at NAMM we're going to have with our chain of Slims!
"
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:36 pm

anoteoftruth wrote:I think I was semi-right.

Saw this on moog's facebook post for a duophonic video someone put up.

"The fellas at Source Dist., Moog Music's UK distributor, are at it again. This time they've posted a vid of a duophonic Moog Phatty: the Slim Phatty and Little Phatty chain. Wait til you see the fun at NAMM we're going to have with our chain of Slims!
"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWpvr-326ms
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:45 pm

yeah that's the one mentioned.

Tho I really dont care for another duophonic video personally, as I already do that with my LP and RME.... I'm more interested in seeing what a 4 voice moog setup would be like.

David Bulog

Post by David Bulog » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:50 am

http://www.doepfer.de/Dark_Time_e.htm
Im hoping that Moog will bring out a step sequencer in a similar case to Dark Time but better form factor
the Doepher Dark Time is the hottest product in the analog synth dept at NAMM2011
Personally I think this is the best thing that Doepfer have done

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:46 am

David Bulog wrote:http://www.doepfer.de/Dark_Time_e.htm
Im hoping that Moog will bring out a step sequencer in a similar case to Dark Time but better form factor
the Doepher Dark Time is the hottest product in the analog synth dept at NAMM2011
Personally I think this is the best thing that Doepfer have done
+1 on that. The manual is online now and I urge anybody interested to read it cover to cover. Dieter gets the job done again and again but the line for this one is getting long. It's got Analog styling and CV control but a digital brain with quantizing live-play features w/transpose, etc. and an attractive price.