I was thinking...Moog Piano?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Voltor07

I was thinking...Moog Piano?

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:27 pm

Ok...what else could Vo Power be used for? I had this idea in my head of adding Vo Power to a Fender Rhodes...or something similar. What if Moog built a new type of electric piano with Vo Power built into it? Would anyone be interested in such a thing for, say, around $4,000? The new Fender Rhodes pianos start around $2500, so would the addition of Vo Power be worth the extra cost? Remember, the tines would have to be custom made with the same alloy as the Moog strings, while being thin enough to be vibrated by the pickups. Is this even feasable? Am I the only one who would buy such a thing? What are your thoughts?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

jeepo

Re: I was thinking...Moog Piano?

Post by jeepo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:30 pm

I think a moog clavinet would probably work better than a rhodes kind of thing, just because they use strings and moog already has experience with strings. The problem with building such a thing would be the enormous increase of complexity. It would be a poly synth, just with real strings for oscillators. This sounds very expensive. If the price per string is the same as the guitar, then it would cost $8000 per octave.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:10 am

Moog Clavinet :shock:

I would do a lot of such a beast, things I hope my wife would never find out about.

Moog guitar technology in a Clav.

Something like that just might get Funk music outlawed.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:40 pm

jeepo wrote:I think a moog clavinet would probably work better than a rhodes kind of thing, just because they use strings and moog already has experience with strings. The problem with building such a thing would be the enormous increase of complexity. It would be a poly synth, just with real strings for oscillators. This sounds very expensive. If the price per string is the same as the guitar, then it would cost $8000 per octave.
Yeah, it would be expensive...but it would be incredibly awesome! I'm all for something like this...if they could keep it around 5k...
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Unfiltered

Post by Unfiltered » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:09 pm

I am going to bring back the clavinet. I want to build custom clavs with exotic . Its a shame they quit making them, and a surprise no one has improved on the design.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:00 pm

Unfiltered wrote:I am going to bring back the clavinet. I want to build custom clavs with exotic . Its a shame they quit making them, and a surprise no one has improved on the design.
Are you accepting pre-orders now? If not please PM me when you start, because I want one! :mrgreen:

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:54 am

After thinking about the matter long and hard I decided I would sell a kidney to buy a moog clavinet.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:43 pm

Voltor07 wrote:Ok...what else could Vo Power be used for? I had this idea in my head of adding Vo Power to a Fender Rhodes...or something similar. What if Moog built a new type of electric piano with Vo Power built into it? Would anyone be interested in such a thing for, say, around $4,000? The new Fender Rhodes pianos start around $2500, so would the addition of Vo Power be worth the extra cost? Remember, the tines would have to be custom made with the same alloy as the Moog strings, while being thin enough to be vibrated by the pickups. Is this even feasable? Am I the only one who would buy such a thing? What are your thoughts?
Please pardon my ignorance... what is "Vo Power?"

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:23 pm

Paul Vo is the guy who designed that pickup system and the man behind the Moog guitar. I think the term "Vo Power" is the mechanism behind the infinite sustain/mute.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

kidgloves2

Post by kidgloves2 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:02 pm

I think Moog should stick to what they specialize in. And release a self contained discrete poly synth. Capable of polyphony or the option of multitimberal sounds.

Bääx

Post by Bääx » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:35 pm

amen!
Taurus III, Little Phatty Stage II, JoMoX X-Base 999, Korg MS2000R, Gotharman DeMoon

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:53 pm

kidgloves2 wrote:I think Moog should stick to what they specialize in.
You mean innovative interesting instruments, like a moog piano?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:45 pm

jeepo wrote:
I too, would love a polysynth. I believe that most of us would. But, Moog isn't just a synthesizer company. They never have been. Bob Moog himself would probably have been proud of the Moog Guitar, and I believe that, like me, he would try to discover other ways of implementing the technology into other instruments. Having said that, a Moog clavinet or electric piano, perhaps one that uses reeds rather than tines, would be amazing!

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:49 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
jeepo wrote:
I too, would love a polysynth. I believe that most of us would. But, Moog isn't just a synthesizer company. They never have been. Bob Moog himself would probably have been proud of the Moog Guitar, and I believe that, like me, he would try to discover other ways of implementing the technology into other instruments. Having said that, a Moog clavinet or electric piano, perhaps one that uses reeds rather than tines, would be amazing!
Polysynths are cool, and a polymoog definitely sounds like fun, but I think polychaining SP's is a reasonable enough solution. Maybe they should make a cabinet for poly SP rigs with a full sized keyboard.

Wouldn't reeds make it more of an organ? And acoustic? That'd be interesting, an acoustic moog, not to mention how awesome it would be to have a moog that works after 2012. I have a theory that tubes are also 2012 proof, maybe moog should make an all tube synth. I wonder what a tube ladder filter would sound like.

kidgloves2

Post by kidgloves2 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:47 am

Polychaining SP's is cool, but how about making it like a Dave Smith instrument and have one group of knobs control all voices instead of each voice having their own dedicated knobs. That way you can have a smaller footprint. Or make it like the little phatty and have an LED button for each voice, but one knob per section. You can make have individual voice mode or global mode.