What mixers do you guys use?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
CTRLSHFT

Re: What mixers do you guys use?

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:22 am

anoteoftruth wrote:
CTRLSHFT wrote:mackie onyx 820i
Do you use it with a DAW? How are the levels? I've heard different things from people about low levels while recording.
I don't use it as a firewire interface, if that is what you mean. The analog mixer side of it is pretty much the same as the gen1 Onyx series, sounds great, flexible. No incidence of low levels in my experience.
www.ctrlshft.com

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:27 am

As far as any latency issues go, I want to say that when they went to the USB 2.0, that was essentially eliminated.

I record with Logic and I have never noticed any latecy. In fact, I love it! I just wish that I had a board that would seperate the tracks.

Sound quality is excellent though.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:51 am

EricK wrote:As far as any latency issues go, I want to say that when they went to the USB 2.0, that was essentially eliminated.

Aaaah.. Just found out my Fasttrack Pro is USB 1.1, which would explain the horrible latency I get then.

Oh well, can't wait for my Onyx 1620i to arrive!
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:41 am

Just got my Onyx 1620i yesterday... and.. holycrap does it sound good.. big improvement over what I had! haha.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

Unfiltered

Post by Unfiltered » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:05 pm

Not sure if it's too much mixer, but the Mackie 1640i is a beast. Only one other of its kind I know of, the allen &heath zed16. The zed has transport controls for DAW, the Mackie doesn't, but both have 16 in 16 out firewire. The Mackie can route any of 6 auxes, 4 subgroups, main mix, or 16 channels to FW (16 FW ins/outs at a time). Multiply that by the busses/auxes in your DAW, since you can send FW back down a channel from your DAW and uses plug ins in real time on Analog audio, you have a ridiculous routing matrix, which has not failed me yet in any signal flow problems, always a way to go where I want and try new routes all the time. As far as its sound, very transparent, almost like a complex XLR cable, no coloration In = Out. Not to plug it, I don't worj for them or anything, but its one of the gear choices that i have never second guessed on the decision. I also use Vintech (Neve 1073 clones) on everything, and they are unbelievable sounding. Also I highly recommend tape for analog synths. After a long time sussing out my synth/instrument setup, I found that having a Voyager allowed me to settle into contentness with my keyboard gear and I delved into the signal processing side of things, and really found some interesting matches. Running the Voyager into vintage compressors and tape, etc. Again, analog tape,with a good machine like a studer or ampex, or even nagra/stellavox/Otari is the ultimate analog vibe processor in my opinion. You guys heard of the Anamod tape emulator.?It's an analog computer(!) that simulates any kind of tape or machine fron Otari, Ampex, 3MCI, etc. Badass. I'll stop rambling.

Bääx

Post by Bääx » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:30 am

Unfiltered wrote:Also I highly recommend tape for analog synths.
Tape - nice! That's pretty hardcore. I don't think I'll get that elaborate (and awesomely analogue) for quite some time, but I do hope to get my hands on a Neve Portico 5042 “True Tape” FX in the near future.
Taurus III, Little Phatty Stage II, JoMoX X-Base 999, Korg MS2000R, Gotharman DeMoon

Unfiltered

Post by Unfiltered » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:40 am

I have the portico tape emulator. Great box, though doesn't sound like any particular tape machine, it totally counteracts the sterility of digital. Rupert Neve I think builds all of his gear nowadays with the DAW in mind, and since he's an old school analog guy, you can be sure his stuff has the analog vibe. The portico tape FX works well for almost anything, but it's a dream on bass. Also check out the fatso by empirical labs. The Anamod thing is out of control, and supposedly is the most authentic tape sound, though the portico is almost like a tape machine for the 21st century, dispensing with all the limitations of tape but keeping the vibe. Tape is just so cool though.

Also, I feel I need to mention this for those analog guys out there that don't know: A company called JRF Magnetics is making headstacks for multitrack tape machines. They have 2 inch 8 track heads!!! I have read reviews, and from what I read, it is HUGE analog mojo with super wide tracks, which allows for capturing signal at almost digital precision, but you can hit the tape very hard before it saturates, giving it an amazing thick sound. The heads are very expensive, like more than $10000, plus the cost of a working machine, but soooo much better than digital. If you have the loot, and are an old school analog head, this is the best you can get. If you have a Moog modular, you shouldn't ever use Pro Tools.

And to bring forth an idea: why can't they come up with a new analog format? It seems like with audio, they have given up on it and focused on improving digital, when they could have come up with something by now that is as easy to use, but with analog storage. Like some kind of analog chip or a micromagnetic material or something. As good as an analog/digital hybrid signal path is, to keep the audio path completely analog preserves information that cannot be acheived with sampling.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:57 pm

anoteoftruth wrote:Just got my Onyx 1620i yesterday... and.. holycrap does it sound good.. big improvement over what I had! haha.
Mixer question for you.

Do you/will you be using the Firewire routing extensively and therefore become dependent on you DAW or did you just want something that is futureproof, meanwhile you'll use it as a live mixer until your workflow gets there (guess you didn't have anything but perhaps as 2/4 input Maudio box prior?

I ask because I am struggling with whether or not to by a high end 'live' board like an Allen Heath or a Soundcraft and then add something like the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, or to just go with the 1640i in which case, I'll have everything in one but then need to depend on ANOTHER mixer to get all of my inputs satisfied.

Right now, as I said above, I have a 16 channel rack mounted Behringer which is fairly low budget (no EQ or aux busses but still cost > $100). I've got a few mono synths but some stereo and some analog drum that has discreet outputs... channels add up quickly.

Opinions?
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:59 pm

EMwhite wrote:
anoteoftruth wrote:Just got my Onyx 1620i yesterday... and.. holycrap does it sound good.. big improvement over what I had! haha.
Mixer question for you.

Do you/will you be using the Firewire routing extensively and therefore become dependent on you DAW or did you just want something that is futureproof, meanwhile you'll use it as a live mixer until your workflow gets there (guess you didn't have anything but perhaps as 2/4 input Maudio box prior?

I ask because I am struggling with whether or not to by a high end 'live' board like an Allen Heath or a Soundcraft and then add something like the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, or to just go with the 1640i in which case, I'll have everything in one but then need to depend on ANOTHER mixer to get all of my inputs satisfied.

Right now, as I said above, I have a 16 channel rack mounted Behringer which is fairly low budget (no EQ or aux busses but still cost > $100). I've got a few mono synths but some stereo and some analog drum that has discreet outputs... channels add up quickly.

Opinions?

Well, as of now, I am using the firewire routing with my mac, and am using it with Ableton. The only thing is that the 1620i is 16x2... so 16 tracks sending, 2 tracks return through FW. But if your looking at the 1640i, it is 16x16. Which would be nice, but personally for me it really isn't applicable as I'm only using the return to monitor my tracks.

I'm primarily using this as my studio mixer, for recording. To tell you the truth, the biggest reason why I got it, is cause I'm accumulating so much gear, and I got annoyed with unplugging and plugging everything, every time I wanted to use a different instrument. But I've quickly seen how the mixer is giving me some big improvements in more ways than just that.

I don't perticularly have any need for a live mixer at the moment, as I'm not playing shows currently. But when I do, I don't think I will be using this live, simply because of it's sheer size. I'm a one man band sort of guy, and like to keep my live setups small. Usually a laptop, a synth or two, a guitar, vocal and effects board. So when I'm ready to do live, I'll probably just buy a 820i solely for live use. But if you have a band or something, definitely, this thing would be perfect for live use.

How many inputs do you need?

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:30 pm

anoteoftruth wrote:How many inputs do you need?
Good question. Home studio in living room at the moment but I'm building out a space that will take up an entire garage and will subsequently move my Hammond w/Leslie in a swell so:

2: Leslie:
2: VOS
2: Radias
2: MacPro (Ivory) [I don't have any other VSynths]
2: Alesis DM5 drum brain
1: Little Phatty
1: Taurus III
1: Matrix 6
1: Matrix 6r
1: Matrix 1000
3: Jomox XBase09 analog drum
1: DI-in from my Mesa Bass amp
----

But I'm not done. (when are we ever done); saving up for an SEM, then I'll be done.

Some of what I have (the Jomox for instance) could certainly be sent to a sub-mixer but then I'll need those two channels to be piped in as well. And I haven't mentioned the fact that I play drums also and while I do have pads what feed the Alesis, I have a high hat, and a few cymbals so that' means Mics.

Was shooting for a 24 channel which somewhat limits my options (there are many more options at 16). Hate to blow $1,500-$2,000 and instantly not have enough channels. I'd trade my Matrix gear for a P'08 but don't have the cash to make up the difference, woe is me... (I have no idea how CZ-Rider or worst of all, MC do it !!)
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

willi

Post by willi » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:36 pm

Unfiltered wrote:... Mackie 1640i is a beast. Only one other of its kind I know of, the allen &heath zed16. The zed has transport controls for DAW, the Mackie doesn't, but both have 16 in 16 out firewire. The Mackie can route any of 6 auxes, 4 subgroups, main mix, or 16 channels to FW (16 FW ins/outs at a time). Multiply that by the busses/auxes in your DAW, since you can send FW back down a channel from your DAW and uses plug ins in real time on Analog audio, you have a ridiculous routing matrix, which has not failed me yet in any signal flow problems, always a way to go where I want and try new routes all the time...
Why did you decide on the Mackie over the Allen & Heath? I have a 1604VLZ; Mackie does make great mixers. It looks like the Allen & Heath actually supports 18 FireWire In and Outs compared to the 16 on the Mackie. How did you find the routing on the Mackie compares to the Zed?

It looks like the Zed also supports 16 channels of ADAT but I'm not sure how that figures into the FireWire side of things...
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104z, & MF-105
http://www.earth2willi.com

torinkrell

Post by torinkrell » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:20 pm

Has anyone been able to compare how the Allen Heath (Zed etc) and Soundcraft preamps sound when overdriven? Its well known that Mackie preamps are great but don't overload well at all.
Akai AX-80
Korg Polysix
Roland Juno 60
Moog The Source
Yamaha e1010 BBD
Moog Parametric EQ
Sequential Prophet Pro~One
Altec AS-1600 audio oscillator (1947)
Moog Music Minimoog Model D (1973)

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:09 am

If you have lots of channels to mix, you can't go past line mixers like the Mackie LM3204 or the Samson PL2404. They're 4 buss boards with EQ and auxes (some stereo); 16 or 12 stereo input channels (!). Or do you need a built-in computer interface?

No sliders, but 5 or 4 rack units, so very compact. The preamps don't go to 50 dB gain, which is no good for mics, but perfect for keyboards and effects.

If you want the Samson, I'd sell mine (110 VAC model), expensive shipping though ;).

I run my synths into the Mackie which gets subbed into a Soundcraft Studio 24 then via subgroups to an RME FF800. This makes the transition from studio to live playing quite easy, as you simply unplug from the main desk and take your road case to the show.

MC

Post by MC » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:17 am

EMwhite wrote:(I have no idea how CZ-Rider or worst of all, MC do it !!)
The Rane SM-82 mixers have expansion jacks. When you run out of inputs, you can add another SM-82 and chain them using the expand jacks. This doesn't use any input channels and you master outputs always are the L/R at the end of the chain. My system has three SM82s chained together for 24 stereo input mixing system.

If you think my system is bad - I've seen worse!!!
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

willi

Post by willi » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:28 pm

A friend of mine has a couple of the Mackie mixers, a 1640i and a 12 channel version of the same hardware, both of which were intended to be used simultaneously under Mac OS X. It turns out that they can not be used at the same time.. supposedly the units use Apple's CoreAudio drivers, and Mackie says it is a problem with CoreAudio. Apple in turn says the problem is with Mackies implementation or lack of specific drivers. I don't really have any additional information offhand; there is probably more details available online, but I thought I would mention this issue in this thread since my friend made some specific support queries to arrive at this conclusion. I was pretty interested in the 1640i myself, but find this information a bit dismaying...

FYI.. YMMV
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104z, & MF-105
http://www.earth2willi.com